Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just unvoted for this topic as I think Quicken has developed a simple and effective way to handle this using the orange pencil (manually entered), blue dot (downloaded), and blue pencils (automatically matched).  I think it's a comparable but simplified workflow.  I've grown to appreciate it, and find it relatively simple to match transactions on a weekly basis.  It's also simplified things during the reconciliation process.  Marcus, thanks for your teams efforts on this.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Meaning folks no disrespect I'm abit confused as to the concerns with matching transactions in QM ; I enter all my transactions manually either directly in to the respective register or via the mobile app, in both cases the transactions show in the registers with the "orange pencil" which signifies the manual entry. When the transactions download I note that the transactions with the "orange pencil" are replaced with the "blue pencil" and the "blue check " off in the Clr column signifying the transaction s have been matched . before I mark the items reviewed I briefly compare the transactions to the paper receipts. When I'm satisfied I mark all items reviewed.

Others have counseled adding the matched column , which if needed for one's piece of mind is easy enough. When reconciliation is implemented either electronically or manual via the statement ( I do both) the blue check mark is replaced by a green circled check mark ✅.

@RickO, as I recall from QW13 premier transactions showed up as matched in the download window which would then be accepted. I believe that is how I remember it.

While I feel as many here that QM has limitations wrt to QW & Q2007 this threads issue while not identical to the way QW acts is the least of the issues holding folks back from getting of QW & their VM's . Reportiing, reports & investments limitations are IMHO the major impediment s for a full embrace of QM.

Well said.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017

Meaning folks no disrespect I'm abit confused as to the concerns with matching transactions in QM ; I enter all my transactions manually either directly in to the respective register or via the mobile app, in both cases the transactions show in the registers with the "orange pencil" which signifies the manual entry. When the transactions download I note that the transactions with the "orange pencil" are replaced with the "blue pencil" and the "blue check " off in the Clr column signifying the transaction s have been matched . before I mark the items reviewed I briefly compare the transactions to the paper receipts. When I'm satisfied I mark all items reviewed.

Others have counseled adding the matched column , which if needed for one's piece of mind is easy enough. When reconciliation is implemented either electronically or manual via the statement ( I do both) the blue check mark is replaced by a green circled check mark ✅.

@RickO, as I recall from QW13 premier transactions showed up as matched in the download window which would then be accepted. I believe that is how I remember it.

While I feel as many here that QM has limitations wrt to QW & Q2007 this threads issue while not identical to the way QW acts is the least of the issues holding folks back from getting of QW & their VM's . Reportiing, reports & investments limitations are IMHO the major impediment s for a full embrace of QM.

@Concordman... I completely agree. I feel like having a separate acceptance window is a distinction without a difference. I consider marking as reviewed to be equivalent to accepting a transaction into the register in the QM2007 methodology. I find the current method to be less cumbersome. 

I know there will be a lot of push back because many folks really don't want the transactions in the register until after they have accepted them. To me, it makes no difference. 

Bottom line is that with all the other need for improvement (as you point out), I would guess this will be a very low priority for the developers. And, to me, that is as it should be.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

I just unvoted for this topic as I think Quicken has developed a simple and effective way to handle this using the orange pencil (manually entered), blue dot (downloaded), and blue pencils (automatically matched).  I think it's a comparable but simplified workflow.  I've grown to appreciate it, and find it relatively simple to match transactions on a weekly basis.  It's also simplified things during the reconciliation process.  Marcus, thanks for your teams efforts on this.  

I agree. I don't know why I voted for it in the first place, but I just unvoted too.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

And I will be one that disagrees....one phrase that stands out for me is ..."relatively simple to match transactions on a weekly basis... "

The fact is that there are many that do not reconcile so frequently. I often will batch and do many months at a time, and in some cases be behind many many months. When you are in that situation, the work-arounds do not work well for that workflow, especially when trying to manage manually entered transactions vs automatically downloaded.

Keep in mind that the request for this feature is not to replace the existing functionality but to offer an alternative. QM2007 only doesn't downloading and acceptance this way whereas QWin offers both the methods; the current one as used in QM2017 and the one used in QM2007. There is use for both for different circumstances. They do not need to be mutually exclusive.

Granted that it is not a showstopper to migrate. That said, by the number of votes for this features, I would say many users value this method...it is one of the top 3 requested features out of hundreds.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017

I totally agree with providing options on this issue.  Clearly many people feel strongly about the reconciliation process.  I prefer the separate acceptance window, but can understand why other may think differently.  QW provides this choice - and I believe QM should as well.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

*QM2007 only doesn't ... -> does   ;-)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    As others have noted, no one is asking Intuit to REMOVE the automatic matching capability, just to ADD the option of manual matching for those who want it. They clearly already think that the feature has some value, because it's in the Windows version of Quicken, according to their help pages.

I've had a number of problems over the years with Quicken matching an ATM withdrawal to a matching amount in my list of upcoming bills. Now last week, Quicken somehow missed a cash withdrawal entirely. Other transactions in the same checking account from that date and later have shown up fine, but not that one. I have no way of viewing the transactions received by Quicken to find out whether it got the transaction from the bank but didn't enter it in my register, or put it somewhere in the register that I'm not finding, or didn't get the transaction at all (in which case a call to the bank might be in order), or what. I just want the ability to see the details of what Quicken is getting from my bank before those transactions go into my register.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    patty1 said:

As others have noted, no one is asking Intuit to REMOVE the automatic matching capability, just to ADD the option of manual matching for those who want it. They clearly already think that the feature has some value, because it's in the Windows version of Quicken, according to their help pages.

I've had a number of problems over the years with Quicken matching an ATM withdrawal to a matching amount in my list of upcoming bills. Now last week, Quicken somehow missed a cash withdrawal entirely. Other transactions in the same checking account from that date and later have shown up fine, but not that one. I have no way of viewing the transactions received by Quicken to find out whether it got the transaction from the bank but didn't enter it in my register, or put it somewhere in the register that I'm not finding, or didn't get the transaction at all (in which case a call to the bank might be in order), or what. I just want the ability to see the details of what Quicken is getting from my bank before those transactions go into my register.

Thanks for sharing that. Yes, this feature is in QWin and in QM2007 and earlier. And there are many scenarios that this helps address, including the ones you mentioned.

Basically, it boils down to users want/need the ability to have control and have visibility to what gets added to Quicken to manage their data as easily and quickly as possible. 

BTW, for those with only a few accounts, this may seem like it adds limited value but for someone like myself with over 100 active accounts, with about 25% using downloading mixed in with manual data entry, this tool becomes a major time saver, not just a passing desire.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Also, adding another column to the register as a work-around is ok except it adds to the clutter of the register, especially without a 2-line display option (with all its shortcomings of having a wider register, adding horizontal scrolling, etc), especially for only a specific purpose at a specific point in time. In other words, there is no need for the column all the time, only for a specific workflow. 

• Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I have a super wide screen monitor and I still have to scroll left and right to see all the columns I need.  I want my 2 line display back too!
  • RickO
    edited June 2017

Just checking... you do know that you can adjust the width of each column by dragging the divider between column headers?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

For Jennifer Dyson's sake that would help somewhat but who wants the extra data there all the time?

And try doing that for over 100 accounts? Which reminds me of the other options that would help: having user definable default settings for columns widths, etc.

For those interested, the two options mentioned are here: First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

@RickO - yes I know that I can resize the columns.

@smayer97 - having a default to apply to each register would have been a time saver in the beginning since I had to go into each account and delete, add, sort, reorder and resize columns.  I only have ~25 accounts...but it was still painstaking.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I agree with those who have argued that this functionality is necessary if Quicken is to be usable by anyone needing serious personal accounting ability. 

Here's just one example of why this is so necessary: Let's say you travel, and need to submit expenses for your travel. One kind of expense is a taxi ride. So imagine you use Uber, 1/2 the time for personal reasons, 1/2 the time professional. QM2017 automatically sorts those transactions, based on the vendor. In which bucket do they go? To use the software for this basic function, I would have to double check each account after running a download, just to see whether a transaction was falsely recorded as personal or as business. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Ruegs said:

I believe this is an essential feature.  It helps ensure the quality of registers and allows users to appropriately match transactions with relative ease.  I won't fully convert to the Mac version is included in a future release.

Essential indeed! Mostly useless without it - unless one enjoys spending time double checking most all transactions
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Upon review of some comments made by Quicken Marcus ("...the Mac has never had the comparative register... "), I just want to add for the record that it is NOT true that Quicken for Mac has never had this feature.

Since he only came on board starting with the development of Quicken 2015 for Mac onward, I can partly understand his statement, though this suggests there is a lack of knowledge of what QM2007 actually does, which dismays me (I would hope he would get to know that product better so as to understand what many Mac users are wanting).

As per the reason for this IDEA thread and the opening statement, this feature does exist in Quicken 2007 for Mac, and has existed there for a very long time. And as the number of votes clearly demonstrates, many users really want this (currently the 5th top requested feature out of hundreds; though the combined votes for full-featured customizable reports and features would bump that down a little). One (hopefully) obvious reason is that it provides far more control over and easier visibility to data flowing into Quicken, especially with large volumes of data and/or accounts.

All that said, the good news is that in the same post, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged seeking to add this as a feature in the future. 

• Carolyn Strecker
    Carolyn Strecker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I used to think that this feature was critical, but now I have learned that using the filter for "last downloaded" tells me everything I need to review the new transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I used to think that this feature was critical, but now I have learned that using the filter for "last downloaded" tells me everything I need to review the new transactions.

Yes, that approach does work sufficiently for some but not others that may either have more data and or accounts to handle, especially when trying to deal with with lots of backlog of data, or simply want more control or visibility to the entire process. 

The point is that some have needs that are not currently met by the way QMac works now, like if you have more than one download performed for multiple months.

• Scott20
    Scott20 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)
  • RickO
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)

Scott,

QM2017 already supports unclearing multiple transactions at once:

1) Select multiple transactions using shift-click or command-click.

2) Then right-click on one of them, choose Set Status of Selected Transactions To > Not Cleared. 

3) Click Continue on the warning dialog that pops up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

Rick O, I think you're missing the point we don't want to hunt for transactions that are already added to the register and unclear them. We want control before they are added to the register to determine if they are legitimate transactions, duplicated or just not matched with manually entered transactions.
  • RickO
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

Steven, I did not miss the point...

Scott said: "Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one..."

I responded to that part of his comment.

I personally don't see the point of having transactions come in to the register uncleared, but I have no objection to that being an option (as long as it IS optional).

For me, the status column (reviewed/not reviewed) accomplishes incoming transaction reviewed perfectly well with no need to add another step to the process. Yes, the transactions are "in the register" while you're reviewing them. That doesn't bother me at all. I understand it does bother some people.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

I think the point of @Scott & @Steven's comment is that their comments are in the context of this IDEA thread, so it is a recommendation to make sure that is possible in this requested workflow.

• steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

I try to enter transaction as they occur. I would like to be able to match them up to downloaded transactions before they are entered into a register. I used this method with Quicken for win for years. Now there doesn't seem to be any to anticipate what is going to happen with downloaded transaction. Some match and others get over looked.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Some match, some don't, some are missed altogether....and we end up with duplicate and missing transactions. Quite annoying. I want the list back too!
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Jen said:

Some match, some don't, some are missed altogether....and we end up with duplicate and missing transactions. Quite annoying. I want the list back too!

They are not only annoying but they create severe problems when trying to reconcile account to paper statement
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    For anyone trying to keep accurate records, the current flow makes the product unusable. It's like an email program that spell-checks an email when you hit send — "fixing" what it thinks needs to be fixed, but never giving the user a chance to see what's been fixed. Every time I connect, I'm unsure of the damage that's been done. 
  • Carolyn Strecker
    Carolyn Strecker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's not that i object to this request, but it's hard for me to understand all this moaning and groaning. I keep fastidiously accurate records with my Quicken and have been doing so for about 20 years. I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. I have never had a single problem in having the downloaded transactions match up. If there are minor discrepancies in categorization they are easy to see and correct. I just do not see how this aspect could be a deal breaker.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

It's not that i object to this request, but it's hard for me to understand all this moaning and groaning. I keep fastidiously accurate records with my Quicken and have been doing so for about 20 years. I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. I have never had a single problem in having the downloaded transactions match up. If there are minor discrepancies in categorization they are easy to see and correct. I just do not see how this aspect could be a deal breaker.

The key lies in exactly this part of your statement " I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. "

That is exactly the point of my previous statement...the way QM2017 works now lends itself adequately for that workflow. BUT there are those that do not function this way at all. Many batch their work in much larger chunks. Either they have a lot of transactions in one account covering larger periods of time and/or they have many accounts to deal with. This also can occur when a user falls behind in their workflow. Under these types of circumstances, the current workflow does not work as well.

It is also under these circumstances that mismatches or non-matches occur far more frequently. This is where this feature makes its usefulness the most, though as pointed out by others, there are other reasons too.

Since you are not one to see benefit from this feature, and since you have not voted for this anyway, there is not much more to say. But there are those that do want this feature and have and can benefit from it.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)