Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Display/UI (Mac)

Confirm delete. There ought to be options to confirm when deleting a transaction. (36 Legacy Votes)

magoodmmagoodm Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in Display/UI (Mac)
Several times I have accidentally deleted a transaction and had to recreate it when I saw it on my statement. This could be a simple choice under registers in preferences.
1 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This has been implemented in the 5.12 release (August 2019)

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don't know if you're using Quicken for Mac or Windows. In Quicken for Mac, if you realize you accidentally deleted a transaction, you can just Undo (Command-Z) and the transaction will be restored. And Quicken has multiple undo, so you can back up and undeleted multiple actions if you need to go back several steps. I originally asked for a confirmation message when I started testing Quicken 2015 after many years with Quicken 2007 and earlier, but in practice, I've found the unlimited undo functionality is better than having to confirm every deletion.. (You may not agree; I'm just offering my two cents...)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Perhaps what is needed is a "Deletion notice" - a balloon that appears with each deletion, but fades away in a second or two. Something like the notice that appears when an edit causes a transaction to become hidden because of the current filter settings.

This way no confirmation action is required but the user is aware of the deletion in case it is accidental and needs to be undone.

I have had a few cases where an accidental deletion has occurred and I did not realize this until after a number of additional actions - I was annoyed with having to undo all the intervening work.

And recently, I attempted to duplicate a transaction using the context menu, but my mouse pointer slipped and I instead deleted the transaction - the two actions are adjacent in the menu, with no separator. I was thoroughly mystified when I was expecting two identical transactions in my register but now had none (I had not noticed that these two actions were there together). A notice would have saved me a few moments as I puzzled out what had happened.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • JJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Unless it's an option as I believe you suggested, I vote against "Confirm Delete", simply because I don't want to be forced to do extra clicks.  Like you implied, Quicken can add an option to turn on/off the confirmation step. I'd vote for that but I'd turn it off for me.

Incidentally, this functionality, as I believe of ALL functionality, should be included in Windows, Mac and and eventually in Mobile when it matures and if it eclipses desktop.  Architecturally, for the sake of both the software developers and the end customers, the code base, feature set and, as much as possible, the user experience in Windows and Mac should be identical.
  • JJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I don't know if you're using Quicken for Mac or Windows. In Quicken for Mac, if you realize you accidentally deleted a transaction, you can just Undo (Command-Z) and the transaction will be restored. And Quicken has multiple undo, so you can back up and undeleted multiple actions if you need to go back several steps. I originally asked for a confirmation message when I started testing Quicken 2015 after many years with Quicken 2007 and earlier, but in practice, I've found the unlimited undo functionality is better than having to confirm every deletion.. (You may not agree; I'm just offering my two cents...)

Thanks for pointing out the existence of multiple deletions in Mac. That should exist in Windows and Mobile too, if it doesn't.

Features can be provided by Quicken or by the OS (Mac, Windows, Mobile). If a feature is offered via one OS platform but not by another OS, then Quicken should add it into Quicken so that the user experience remains consistent as much as practical.  The Software Architect is or should always be weighing the tradeoffs of common code sets for the developers vs. common user experience.  Ideally, the end user doesn't know if it's a Quicken or an OS feature.
  • JJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Perhaps what is needed is a "Deletion notice" - a balloon that appears with each deletion, but fades away in a second or two. Something like the notice that appears when an edit causes a transaction to become hidden because of the current filter settings.

This way no confirmation action is required but the user is aware of the deletion in case it is accidental and needs to be undone.

I have had a few cases where an accidental deletion has occurred and I did not realize this until after a number of additional actions - I was annoyed with having to undo all the intervening work.

And recently, I attempted to duplicate a transaction using the context menu, but my mouse pointer slipped and I instead deleted the transaction - the two actions are adjacent in the menu, with no separator. I was thoroughly mystified when I was expecting two identical transactions in my register but now had none (I had not noticed that these two actions were there together). A notice would have saved me a few moments as I puzzled out what had happened.

I like your "Deletion notice" suggestion. I think that you think like a good GUI (Graphical User Interface) Designer should think.
  • Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree with the last two statements:

Even as a power user, I have deleted transactions without knowing it. This happened more during my transition to Quicken 2016 from 2007.   The "standard" (certainly not official) is to at least give the user the option to confirm any and all significant deletes.  Thanks.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This post surprised me. I always get a confirmation dialog when I delete a transaction in QW2016. The feature exists, it's just not obvious. In fact, I had to experiment with Preferences to determine where it hides. Edit > Preferences > Register > Notify > Before changing reconciled transactions. This has the side effect of requiring confirmation of deletes.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Rocket.  I just checked in my version of Quicken Mac 2016 and there is no Edit > Preferences.  Perhaps they will add it later.
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks Rocket.  I just checked in my version of Quicken Mac 2016 and there is no Edit > Preferences.  Perhaps they will add it later.

This is one of the reasons we request people to specify which product (Quicken for Windows or Quicken for MAC) they use - there are a number of major differences between the two products.
    edited November 2019

Two problems with that line of thinking:

(1) Some functionality comes from the underpinning of the operating system. Something that might take one command or be simply to accomplish on on platform could be extremely difficult to do on the other. The core databases are different, as is a lot of functionality. I think it would take a *major* effort to develop two products that have started out vastly differently in parallel. I think developing needed new functionality is a higher priority than spending time coding for user experience compatibility across platforms. After all, most people switch platforms zero times or one time, ever; people aren't switching back and forth twice a week.

(2) When they started developing what came to market as Quicken 2015 for Mac, the product manager stated that they were trying to create a Mac product, which took advantage of the Mac user interface and provided a Mac-like experience, because that's what Mac users want. They weren't going to program to a lowest common denominator to develop in parallel between Windows and Mac, he said. I don't know if that philosophy has changed over the past two years, but I think the original thinking on this was correct.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Multiple undo delete functionality is only useful within the same open session. if you realize you deleted something after you quit, or even days later, it is of no value. That seems to be one of the scenarios presented by the OP.

In QM2007 there is the option to confirm whenever there is any change to the transaction. This would include delete. I have this turned on. It prevents many accidental changes.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

edited November 2019

This post surprised me. I always get a confirmation dialog when I delete a transaction in QW2016. The feature exists, it's just not obvious. In fact, I had to experiment with Preferences to determine where it hides. Edit > Preferences > Register > Notify > Before changing reconciled transactions. This has the side effect of requiring confirmation of deletes.

In QM2007 there is the same behaviour but there is no option to disable it. It is always in effect for reconciled transactions.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.
    You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

First, click on the underlined link, then be sure to scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

? Add your vote here:

(

edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

? Add your vote here:

(

• Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Any idea if this is available on Quicken 2017 ?  if so, how do you do it ?  Or how do you turn it on in 2007 ?
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

In Q 2017 there is No Preferences under Edit and I cannot find any Register or Notify options anywhere else.  Anybody have an idea ?

edited November 2019

Steven, are you using Quicken for Mac or Windows? This is an old thread, and it got confusing because people were posting about both above. Quicken for Mac does NOT have an option/preference to set to get a confirmation before deleting.

Two suggestions: (1) At the top right of this page, click the Vote button if you want to cast your vote for such a feature in the future. (2) Be aware that Quicken Mac does have pretty much unlimited Undo... within the current session. So if you notice you deleted a transaction or transactions by accident you can Undo to get it back, even if it was five steps ago. In the absence of a delete confirmation, this has saved me on numerous occasions. (But I'd still prefer to be able to have the option to have it warn me before deleting.)
    edited November 2019

Steven, no need to post twice in the same thread. I responded to you post below, but I'll reply here just for the sake of others who may read this thread in the future.

First: are you using Quicken for Mac or Windows? This is an old thread, and it got confusing because people were posting about both up above. Quicken for Mac does NOT have an option/preference to set to get a confirmation before deleting.

Two suggestions: (1) At the top right of this page, click the Vote button if you want to cast your vote for such a feature in the future. (2) Be aware that Quicken Mac does have pretty much unlimited Undo... within the current session. So if you notice you deleted a transaction or transactions by accident you can Undo to get it back, even if it was five steps ago. In the absence of a delete confirmation, this has saved me on numerous occasions. (But I'd still prefer to be able to have the option to have it warn me before deleting.)
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I'm MAC. I guess it surprised me so much because it had never happened before that I'm not sure if I tried the Command Z option.  I plan to be much more careful in the future but for multiple Undo's do you keep hitting Command Z ?
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

By the way, thank you for the insight.
    edited November 2019

Yup, keep hitting Command-Z (or Edit>Undo) and it will step back through your most recent actions of adding, editing, moving and deleting transactions.

One thing to be aware of is that it won't *take you* to where those actions are, so unless you remember where you've been, this can before confusing. For example, let's say I delete a transaction in my checking account, then switch to a credit card account and delete a transaction there, If I Undo once, the transaction pops back into the credit card register I'm looking at, as you'd expect. If I click Undo again, the screen doesn't change -- I'm still on the credit card register -- but my checking transaction has been restored. Which is good, assuming that's what you meant to do. But I've sometimes pressed Command-Z twice instead of once, and undone something I didn't mean to -- and because it doesn't jump to the restored transaction on-screen, I'm unaware I've restored a transaction in another account I didn't mean to. So Undo is powerful, but use it with care to avoid unintended results!
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I see where you are coming from on this, when I first began on QM I inadvertently deleted transactions & did not even realize that I had done it. If one realizes the situation than the undelete is just fine. An option on confirmation of deletion in preference s not a bad idea especially if just beginning on QM probably not a bad idea
    edited November 2019

Useful whether you are experienced or not. Mistakes can happen to anyone, and if you have not feedback, you may still not know something happened.

This is one of those features that is very useful given the potential impact.

? Add your vote here:

(

edited November 2019

Oh, and be sure to add your vote to hopefully see this implemented. 

? Add your vote here:

(

edited November 2019

@Steve Vance In QM2007 this "option" is ALWAYS on...you always get a warning dialog when deleting a transaction. 

That said there are a couple of additional related options in QM2007 that are optional preferences.To set this preference in QM2007 open the Preferences from the Quicken 2007 menu. You can turn on the following preferences:
    - under General - Warn before deleting downloaded transactions
    - under Register - Require confirmation when changing transactions

? Add your vote here:

(

edited November 2019

Yes, I strongly agree with @smayer97 that this is not a feature just for Quicken Mac newbies -- anyone can inadvertently click the delete key without realizing it.

This is one of those things that seems easy to implement in a way that it would help the people who want it and be invisible to everyone else. I know enough about programming to know that what seems easy from an outsider's viewpoint sometimes isn't. But in this case, there is a clear place in the code for processing the deletion of a transaction, and adding a check to see if a preference for a warning-before-deletion is set to yes seemingly shouldn't require major under-the-hood changes to the code. I hope that this is one of those things the developers agree with, but just haven't gotten to because it hasn't yet been deemed an important enough priority to have someone work on it.
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, it was in 2007 but I'm using 2017 4.5.4 now and that feature, as well as several others that I found useful, seem to have disappeared. I had missed several updates so it was a big jump and found 2017 a big disappointment.  It may have made high-powered users happy but it seemed to make my usage more difficult.
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

My bookkeeper showed me that in Quickbooks there is a Log that shows all of your most recent transactions and allows you to then go back in and Undo or edit them. Apparently, Quicken does not offer the same feature.
    edited November 2019

Just trying to answer the question you asked about QM2007, unless that was a typo. 

Understand that QM2017 is a relatively new product built from the ground up (starting in 2010) and is NOT a continuation from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials, so there are some features that are still not there or are not as fully developed yet. 

If you are interested in some historical background on how we got here, see the following compilation:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-faq-why-is-the-current-version-of-qu...

? Add your vote here:

(

• magoodmmagoodm Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

As the OP in this thread, I think Jacobs post yesterday nails it. The coding needed to do this is probably quite simple. I hope the developers have it on their list of to do's. I'm sure most Quicken Mac users have inadvertently deleted transactions without realizing it. The undelete feature is useful, but only if you know you've deleted something.
This discussion has been closed.