quicken 2015 change cusip

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am running Quicken 2015 Premier for Windows (yes, I know I am behind).  One of my stocks has changed the name and stock symbol from X to Y.  I do not want to lose the details of the original purchases of X, so I do not think that I want to edit the Security Details to change X to Y.

How do I transfer a no financial transaction to deal with the change and still get reporting to work correctly (when I eventually sell Y).

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Was the stock symbol change a corporate action like a merger or a reclassification like a fund converting shares to admiral class?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Corporate Action.  Changed from Silver Wheaton (SLV) to Wheaton Precious Metals (WPM).  Everything else stayed the same.  My concern is that if I change the Security, then the history will not reflect what really happened.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Create a new security with the correct symbol.

Then, in the old security, uncheck "download quotes".

When you connect the next time, Quicken will look for the new security and ask you if the download matches "WPM".

Of course, before doing this backup your Quicken data file...JUST in case. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    But that creates a new entry (WPM) with no shares associated with it.  I tried to use the Transfer Shares option but that did not work because it would not take it out of the SLV shares and put it into WPM, since they are in the same account (brokerage account).
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I would use the Corporate Name Change transaction type.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    a) gmalis1 misspoke with regard to unchecking the "download quotes" selection.  I believe he meant for you to uncheck the "Matched with online security" setting under the Edit security details. That step would set the stage for getting the CUSIP realigned.  

b) You really have two options.
    1. There is really nothing deadly wrong with you renaming the existing security, changing the ticker, and resetting the CUSIP via the "Matched with Online security" box.  Doing so does 'change history' in that it will show you purchased WPM at a time it did not exist and when you had actually bought SLV.  But the capital gains ramifications come out correctly as does the various performance measures of the SLV/WPM combination.  You can take that route by your own manual edits or in conjunction with a Corporate Name Change action which will insert a Reminder transaction as to when this change took place.
    2. Your second option is to execute a Corporate Acquisition transactions whereby WPM acquires SLV at a 1:1 share ratio.   That too will manage the future capital gains correctly, but makes it a little harder to see the performance issues.  In some cases you may need to be looking at SLV and WPM separately; in other cases, you may need to bell looking at them as one.  This action will generate Remove Share and Add Share transactions such that your holdings are effectively not changed.  For simple holdings (few lots of SLV), you can enter those Remove and Add transactions manually as well.  
    In either case, these transactions done by you in Quicken need to be coordinated with transactions downloaded from your brokerage.  Typically that means you delete any similar transactions they offered.  
This discussion has been closed.