Quicken 2017 Freezes up and is slow. AGAIN

2»

Comments

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited May 2017
    John Graf said:

I have 32mb of memory, an i7 processor, a solid state hard drive and a 2tb spinning hard drive. Quicken (2016 Canada Home and Business) worked fine with W7, but when W10 came along it became virtually unusable. It works fine in Safe Mode. I uninstalled Trusteer Rapport (which my bank wants me to use) and it sped up considerably but is still slower than it should be. The issue seems to be the user interface. It paints the screen multiple times when it doesn't need to. Any inserts or account changes are difficult for it. I tried a new data file with two accounts and a couple of transactions - same issue, so it isn't my data file.

Have you tried making a Quicken COPY of your data file and then a Validate and Restore?

FILE > FILE OPERATIONS > COPY

Then with that Quicken Copy file:

FILE > FILE OPERATIONS > VALIDATE AND REPAIR.

Also...check the number of Memorized Payees you have.  Go to HELP  and then hold the CTRL key while clicking on ABOUT QUICKEN.

If you have a large amount of Memorized Payees, Quicken will slow to a crawl.  

Also, have you tried using Quicken in Compatibility Mode where you select Windows 7?  Does that make any difference?  

Finally, a complete re-install of the software may be needed.  Use qcleanui.exe to remove Quicken (do not use Windows Uninstaller).  Reinstall Quicken and update to the current release.
  • John GrafJohn Graf Member
    edited May 2017
    John Graf said:

I have 32mb of memory, an i7 processor, a solid state hard drive and a 2tb spinning hard drive. Quicken (2016 Canada Home and Business) worked fine with W7, but when W10 came along it became virtually unusable. It works fine in Safe Mode. I uninstalled Trusteer Rapport (which my bank wants me to use) and it sped up considerably but is still slower than it should be. The issue seems to be the user interface. It paints the screen multiple times when it doesn't need to. Any inserts or account changes are difficult for it. I tried a new data file with two accounts and a couple of transactions - same issue, so it isn't my data file.

I have already done all of that and more. None of it worked. As for the file operations you suggest (which I have done), the issue persists with a totally new data file that contains no memorized payees and only a couple of accounts containing a couple of transactions. The issue is not with the data file.

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited May 2017
    John Graf said:

Have you contacted Quicken support?

Because I'm out of suggestions.  
    edited May 2017
    John Graf said:

Have spent hours on the phone with Quicken support. They gave up.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited May 2017
    John Graf said:

Conflict with your antivirus software?  I'm just grasping at stuff...because it doesn't seem to be a Quicken problem since it happens with a brand new Quicken data file.  Try turning off your antivirus software...or uninstalling it altogether.  You don't happen to be using Kaspersky, are you?  Known problems with that.  

This has to be a system problem somewhere.  But I couldn't even venture to guess where.

Have you looked at the task manager and see what else is running in the background with Quicken?  How about the Resources Manager?  Anything running there that is hogging your precious memory?  

Once again...I'm just grasping at possibilities.  I understand your frustration.  
  • Darren HelyarDarren Helyar Member
    edited May 2017
    Well finally something for Quicken. A customer satisfaction survey. Anyone else want to let them know happy we are.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSpVY2QaItmkVXxvuux7qORNjnblmS5y3p8w1u9XDf1JeVfQ/viewform
  • ldbcknsldbckns Member
    edited June 2017

Please do HELP, and hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  A statistics dialog box will appear.  Take a snapshot of that using the Win Snipping Tool (in your Win Accessories folder), and paste it her using the camera (NOT movie camera) icon below.

Also, make sure that your "Startup location" is set to Home.  Other locations have issues that slow down the start.  EDIT, Preferences, Startup, Startup Location.

I do a clean disk weekly, have changed my start up tab, yet it still runs super slow and transposes what I type. I'm using Quicken 2016 Home Deluxe.  Here is my stats:

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017

Please do HELP, and hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  A statistics dialog box will appear.  Take a snapshot of that using the Win Snipping Tool (in your Win Accessories folder), and paste it her using the camera (NOT movie camera) icon below.

Also, make sure that your "Startup location" is set to Home.  Other locations have issues that slow down the start.  EDIT, Preferences, Startup, Startup Location.

@idbckns  I would remove all of your Memorized Payees.  1066 is really a lot...especially with only 6118 transactions.  

After you delete the Memorized Payees, if Quicken still runs slow, do a Quicken COPY of your data file File > File Operations > Copy.  

Then, with that file copy, validate and repair your data file File > File Operations > Validate and Repair.

If, after that your Quicken still runs slowly, then remove the Quicken software using qcleanui.exe (DO NOT use Windows Uninstaller).  Reboot your PC and then reinstall Quicken, making sure that it updates to the R12 version.  

Then, just to be safe, I would download the Q2016 R12 Mondo Patch and install it over the top of your Quicken.

Of course, back up your data file first.

Let us know how that goes and if you see any improvement in performance.  
    edited June 2017
    John Graf said:

Done that with no help. It works fine in W7 (separate computer), but not W10 (upgraded to W10 on both a desktop units and a laptop and neither can make Q2016 work properly. Both worked fine with Q2013 Canada). Also works fine in Safe Mode. I have tried shutting down every program showing n Task Master but it doesn't help. I have lots of available memory, but the Quicken report I get by hitting Control Help says I have only 1048575 available. I have 32GB of memory, only 15% of which is used at the moment. Removing Trusteer program helped a lot but it still isn't close to being normal speed. The screens refresh themselves a number of times before commands are accepted. This looks to me like an interface issue.
  • ldbcknsldbckns Member
    edited June 2017

Ok I am about tired of this program! Reinstalled it, have to sign back onto Intuit (I do not use any of the online services) and input all my personal information and then I keep getting the same stupid message - I had called customer service before, they had me reset my password just so I could get back in and it still was lagging. Time for a refund and move on to another program that doesn't have so many issues.image