QWin 2016 Premier: Removing old option trades

Options
Stu
Stu Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Thissubject has come up before but it continues to be an irritation.  I do a lot of options trading and over thelast 15 years, my QDF file gets loaded up with stale security symbols and oldtransactions that add little to the understanding of one’s investmentperformance but add a lot to unnecessary processing time when switching betweenaccounts that carry these old transactions. Hiding the old security symbols in the security list does nothing tospeed up processing.

Inan attempt to reduce this problem, I plan to delete these options transactionsolder than 2 years; followed by deleting the related security symbols.  I have archived prior years’ databases on aregular basis so can go back and reconstruct the trades if absolutelynecessary.  I will replace the values ofthe trades with imputed cash reconciliations where necessary.  It’s a lot of manual work but worth it. 

Doesanyone know of any quick methods of doing such a clean up and would there be away of retaining some of the reports so that I can review an amalgamated historicperformance when I need to? 

I am on QWin 2016 Premier running in a Parallels environment on the Mac.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Does anyone know of any quick methods of doing such a clean up
    The 'quick' way to delete multiple investment transactions is to create a BANKING transaction report that includes the relevant investing account.  Sort and filter as applicable.  The banking transaction report include an option to delete the highlighted transactions.  BACK UP first and proceed cautiously.
    and would there be away of retaining some of the reports so that I can review an amalgamated historic performance when I need to? 
    Absolutely not - at least within Quicken.  Transactions are gone, data is gone == no report on that data out of Quicken.  The best you could do would be to either save a PDF file of the report, or to copy the report via clipboard to an Excel (or equivalent) spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet option would allow you to possibly develop a method to amalgamate those prior reports.  
This discussion has been closed.