With new owners, this is certainly not the time for a change to a subscription service.

ArlettaArletta Member
edited January 22 in
With new owners, this is certainly not the time for a change to a subscription service. I've used Quicken as well as Turbo Tax for over 25 years and paid the $9.95 monthly for Quicken Bill Pay for at least 20 years. You will lose this customer if any more charges are tacked on to what I already pay for upgrades and Bill Pay. I'll use another software or Excel. Besides, most companies' statements are online now. Think about that before you make these extra charges.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    They aren't "extra charges", they are the new yearly price to use Quicken versus buying a license at least every three years to be able to download.

Be sure to read (at least a little) of this thread and vote your displeasure (upper right corner).
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-inc-should-reverse-its-decision-to-chang...
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited January 22
    Would you change your mind if that subscription included free Quicken Bill Pay, as well as other services that have been fee-for-service in the past? (just asking; we don't have any set-in-stone items this early in the process)

Would you change your opinion if the "math" were presented on a marketing page laying out the 'per-month' pricing of an annual (or even a two-year) subscription compared against the full purchase price currently required every three years under the existing EULA?

What would you like to see included in a subscription that you currently get in the full purchase product?

Your opinion does matter, so please make sure you let us know your thoughts on this.
  • edited May 2017

Would you change your mind if that subscription included free Quicken Bill Pay, as well as other services that have been fee-for-service in the past? (just asking; we don't have any set-in-stone items this early in the process)

Would you change your opinion if the "math" were presented on a marketing page laying out the 'per-month' pricing of an annual (or even a two-year) subscription compared against the full purchase price currently required every three years under the existing EULA?

What would you like to see included in a subscription that you currently get in the full purchase product?

Your opinion does matter, so please make sure you let us know your thoughts on this.

@Tamara: are these questions only for the OP, or are you interested in replies from other customers as well?
  • edited May 2017

I'll take responses from others, but I'm also aware of the large thread QPW has going and don't want to interfere with those posts.
  • ArlettaArletta Member
    edited May 2017

I would have to see the subscription cost before making that decision.  Bill Pay is the only fee-for-service that I use.  I've never found the investment parts to be that accurate so I don't depend on them.  Thank you for responding.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited May 2017

Q-Tamara, since you brought it up here, I'll ask it here. 

The wife and I go to a gym.  It has a normal $30/month fee (autopay) for unlimited access.  We have no use for the unlimited aspect, but they have a matinee offering (11-3, Mon-Fri) for $10/month which we use.

Does Quicken plan (or thought of) on having a tiered fee arrangement?  I have no use for any of the "extra" services that Quicken has added over the years.  I only need/use the basic features along with online banking downloads. 

Bill pay, bill presentment, credit score, Zillow, portfolio x-ray are all useless features in my opinion and why should I pay for something I don't use?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member
    edited May 2017

À la carte pricing sounds pretty nice, but I would bet it would be nightmare in practice (for both for Quicken Inc and the users).

If you think about it Quicken Windows already has a tiered fee arrangement.  Checkbook, Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Rental Property Management.

Flexibility breeds complexity, which breeds bugs.

And if I was casting my wish into the well, it would be contrary to this.  As in I would love to see the features that there, work the way they are suppose to, with no workarounds and such.

But in fact even though I'm probably one of the few people that really would pay for such it makes no real sense to "count my vote".  I don't represent the norm.  And what's more we know that I have no "threat" since clearly I don't base my decision on buying Quicken on getting this.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited July 2017
    I might change my mind if the new proposed subscription plan did not come with the poison pill - preventing you from making new entries to your data if your subscription lapses.

When it comes to convincing me, a carrot works better than a stick.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Freeze and lockout my data if my subscription expires?  I'll never subscribe to that.

The rest of the freebies is just bloated crap I never use anyways.  My bank offers online bill pay...for free.  Never used Quicken's Bill Pay.  Never use Quicken's Online Backup.

I don't want any stinkin' free stuff.  I just want my MTV...oh wait, that's something else.  I just want a Quicken that works.

And the "math" Quicken will represent in the "price structure" will be skewed and flawed...because they're going to compare the Quicken retail price of the current product and not compare it to the Amazon price many users, including me, pay.  

So, it will just be more lies and misdirection and corporate speak.  We've all seen that already from Mr. Dunn. 
  • edited May 2017
    Disclaimer: I work cross-platform, and I'm definitely a "niche" user. Speaking broadly and only for myself, if you all could get Quicken for Windows to run as beautifully as Quicken for Mac and make Quicken for Mac as powerful as Quicken for Windows, you could almost name your price. (I can't believe I wrote that. Please disregard). 

Personally, I wouldn't pay more to get bundled fee-for-services. The only one I ever used was online backup, and I cancelled it after a year.

If the math is favorable, I'll buy -- same as with any other good or service I shop for. Having said that, my math won't add value for the above-mentioned services that I wouldn't purchase separately.

Unlike splasher, I don't mind "paying" for the branding add-ons put into QW over the years. I don't even mind them being there, except for my nagging suspicion that they're cumulatively dragging down QW's performance. Other than that, I ignore them, and except for the Zillow widget asking me 12 million times if I really don't want to have a Zestimate at the top of my home asset window, they leave me alone. 

In fact, one recent add-on, the LifeYield Tax Optimizer, is almost worth paying extra for (at least to me). It just falls short, however, for two reasons: First, it has a dogmatic opinion of what constitutes ideal tax location. If it could be customized to back off just a bit from it's single-minded bonds->tax advantaged/stocks->taxable projections, it would be very useful. 

Second problem is that Quicken's rebalancer doesn't permit customizable asset classes, so TO is blind to certain tax-inefficient asset classes (like REITs) that it should -- even according to its own formula -- be recommending for relocation. Fix those limitations, and the TO in my opinion is a powerful, potentially game-changing tool within Quicken -- one that I'd gladly pay extra for (how much extra, I won't tell you ;-) )

So, I kind of agree with QPW: I'd like to be paying for the stuff QW already does, but does well (QM is a completely separate conversation). Beyond that, I'd pay extra for improved performance and improved capability to a number of QW's core functions -- particularly in investing, taxes and debt management. 
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited January 22
    I don't mind a subscription model as I feel that Quicken has that already but with a 3 year renewal plan instead of 1 year.  I DO mind holding my data hostage with not allowing manual updates if there is no plan renewal.  I also mind being made a beta tester of the software by having to use a new product every year.  I suspect a subscription model would eventually kill the Quicken product - which may be the intent.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited July 2017

I don't miss Quicken bill pay now.  I have a FI that provides free bill pay via Quicken Direct Connect, so don't need free Quicken bill pay.

"other services that have been fee-for-service " I would have to know what these are first.

One thing to remember, I prefer Quicken because it does not require internet access to use manually to generate reports or enter transactions.  If internet verification access becomes required to perform manual transactions, Quicken diminishes in capabilities more to the likes of MINT, which is essentially useless for me.

I usually purchase Quicken a year in advance of using it so the major bugs are fixed. I would not like a subscription model that sent regular updates to Quicken and made me a constant "beta" tester.

SUGGESTION: Offer both, a downloadable self-contained program as before, or a subscription model.   Microsoft does this sort of offer.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited July 2017

I don't use Q BillPay either ... because my primary FI (Fidelity Investments) has it for FREE.

Why should I pay Q extra for a service that I don't want or need?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited July 2017

I don't use Q BillPay either ... because my primary FI (Fidelity Investments) has it for FREE.

Why should I pay Q extra for a service that I don't want or need?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"