Capital One download update asking for one time code

191011121315»

Comments

• edited June 2017

In regards to receiving a one time code - I've noticed I only receive the notice now while updating after I have previously deleted the history, cookies etc on my pc.

DO you know which browser? I run chrome, firefox and edge?
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited June 2017

In regards to receiving a one time code - I've noticed I only receive the notice now while updating after I have previously deleted the history, cookies etc on my pc.

probably all but definitely Firefox which is what I use. Go to "options".
  • edited June 2017

Thanks. I'll try it. I didn't know that the Quicken app relied on a browser.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Member
    edited June 2018
    I am having the same issue - I contacted Capital One and they said the issue was supposed to be resolved.

I will try some of these suggestions...
  • edited June 2017

I am having the same issue - I contacted Capital One and they said the issue was supposed to be resolved.

I will try some of these suggestions...

My response to them would have been the same thing I tell my contract programmers when they say that:  "You're right it was SUPPOSED to be fixed.  Now FIX IT!"
  • Frank DFrank D Member
    edited July 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I couldn't wait to respond today.  The other day I went in Quicken right-clicked my  Capital One account in the register in the list of accounts, selected edit, then online and then reset account.  Today I went in and just hit the usual one step update icon and voila!  It went through and downloaded without asking to send me a code for the first time in about a year!!!!!    ( ; - D
  • rev.geoffrev.geoff Member
    edited July 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Frank D: lucky you! I have reset my account three or four times in the last two months and it always goes back to the same problem. I don't even get the one time code message any more. It just won't connect to Cap One. I know that the tech help will set it straight again, but once it does, I'll be flooded with duplicate transactions, it will last a few days, and then we'll be back to square one. My wife and I are discussing whether we should just return to manual entry and be done with it.
  • edited July 2017
    RobM said:

I gave up also - I just download the transactions from Cap1 into quicken  - just remember to select  the date range!
  • BKBK Member
    edited August 2017
    Ted B said:

Maybe this will help someone. I noticed when I went to log in to C1 my username,which has 8 letters and numbers, was populated with 4 letters and 10 asterisks..definitely too long. Don't know how it was created but after figuring out how to remove additional log ins and also placing my true log in into autofill...when I open that page all is correct and I've been able to download transactions right from Quicken without any trouble just like I've always done. Hope it stays that way.

• BKBK Member
    edited August 2017
    Brad said:

Although I too started having problems with C1 updates like everyone else at the beginning of Feb when C1 updated their security, the following approach solved my problem and for the past two weeks everything is working as it did in the past - crossing my fingers!  Give this a try and hope it helps you:  Try updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile". 
    How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on
    Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding
    and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update
    & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  FYI I am running Quicken 2016 premier R11 on Win10 Pro.  Maybe the recent R11 update helped too? Your mileage may vary!

Worked for me.  Thanks Brad!  BradK!
  • Joe MJoe M Member
    edited September 2017
    RobM said:

Same here, I've reestablished the account in quicken about 3 times, each time it downloading all the old junk. Takes forever to delete the downloaded transactions as you can only do one at a time. I'm going to manually do it from now on, obviously, they are not getting this fixed!
  • Ron CraderRon Crader Member
    edited September 2017
    RobM said:

If you must reestablish the account and you get duplicate transactions, you should first reconcile the account before the download.  When you download, sort the file by CLEARED transactions.  Look for any new, recent transactions that have not been RECONCILED.  I would manually reconcile these recent transactions.  Next, again sort by CLEARED transactions.  Manually select all the CLEARED (not RECONCILED) transactions by highlighting the first one in the list and the hold the SHIFT key and select the last transaction. This action will select all of the duplicate entries.  Hit the DELETE key and you're done.
  • Joe MJoe M Member
    edited January 2018
    RobM said:

I follow the logic for reconciling so that you know to delete any 'cleared' only transactions. To reconcile between statements seems like it would be tough. I would need to add up all the charges and credits since the last statement that have legitimately cleared to fill out the reconcile window. Then when the statement comes I would have to do that again because I would have already reconciled part of that statement. Is that correct or am I missing something!?
  • MarthaMartha Member
    edited November 2018
    RobM said:

I am using Quicken Deluxe 2016 and I cannot download from Captial One. I get the one time code message and when I select method it will not accept. Deactivated account and keeps wanting one time code but will not process request. I am doing this within capital one account in Quicken.
  • ShtevieShtevie Member
    edited October 2017
    RobM said:

Many are experiencing this issue. Doesn't seem capital one will place nice with Quicken. Your best bet is to download your transactions from their website and then manually import them into Quicken.
  • BKBK Member
    edited October 2017
    RobM said:

There was a period of a month back in Feb when this stopped working.  Then started to work again with a one time code.  I am able to receive the code everytime.  These days I may get prompted for the code once in every 20 updates.  And even then I select cancel.  Then do an update only on CapOne only and it works again.  Made sure that your Alert email on CapOne is correct
  • MaikeerMaikeer Member
    edited October 2017
    RobM said:

This has generally been my experience as well.  I get prompted periodically (once a week at most, and probably more like 10 days) for the code.  I get the code every time - and quickly - by email.  I have not tried to select cancel yet.  

However, I did have to reset the account a couple of weeks ago due to a persistent error, and so I had to go through the process of downloading and then deleting a lot of transactions.
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited November 2017
    Just an update... The CapitalOne "one-time code" issue persists in Quicken 2018.  The following events occur exactly the same way in Q2018 as in Q2017:

- C1 credit card fails to update if included in the list for One Step Update with other accounts

- No "one-time code" dialog appears during the One Step Update process

- C1 account can be updated individually (from the gear menu "Update Now")

- When updated individually, the "one-time code" dialog appears and requires response, but the one-time code is never actually sent (the update just goes forward after the dialog closes)
  • edited November 2017
    David said:

Just an update... The CapitalOne "one-time code" issue persists in Quicken 2018.  The following events occur exactly the same way in Q2018 as in Q2017:

- C1 credit card fails to update if included in the list for One Step Update with other accounts

- When updated individually, the "one-time code" dialog appears and requires response, but the one-time code is never actually sent (the update just goes forward after the dialog closes)

You saidd "C1 credit card fails to update if included in the list for One Step Update with other accounts".

Is there an error message?
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited November 2017
    David said:

Sometimes.  I went back to Q2017 so I can't run a test.  In Q2017 it sometimes asks for a one-time code during One Step Update, then it doesn't actually send a code but it does update.  Sometimes it doesn't ask for the code and then it fails to update.  Next time that happens I'll check the error code.
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited November 2017
    David said:

Ok, back in Q2017 now.  Including C1 in the one-step update causes two things to happen: (1) a dialog pops up asking where to send the one-time code (which never actually comes), and (2) the one-step update summary shows an error for the C1 credit card -- error CC-891. 

This is purportedly because "your financial institution login information is incorrect," but that isn't true.  The same login works fine for loggin into the C1 website or when updating the C1 account by itself from the C1 register gear menu (rather than with other accounts as part of the one-step update).
  • Rick LawrenceRick Lawrence Member
    edited November 2017
    David said:

I have two C1 accounts ... every so often, I get the same
    behavior: Q2016 asks for OTC but it never gets sent and indeed Q doesn't ask
    for it and the update concludes cleanly.

But more problematic is that I see problems similar to yours every month or two
    for my two account.  At this point, you have little choice but to
    Deactivate the account and then Reactivate.

BUT, before doing so, you need to follow the process documented numerous times
    in this thread: do a Quicken transaction download from the C1 site, reconcile
    your C1 account so that current balance matches online balance and all
    transactions are marked with an "R".  When you reactivate the
    account, you will get a ton of downloaded transactions.  Accept them, then
    go to the register and do a sort on the "Clr" column so that all
    downloaded transactions (marked with a "c") are together. 
    Select all of them (shift select) and then delete them with one stroke.  I
    have done this process so many times now that I can do it in a minute or two
    ... zero sign that Quicken will fix this any time soon, so you’ll get plenty of
    opportunities to tune your skills at this

• Rick LawrenceRick Lawrence Member
    edited November 2017
    David said:

Speaking
    of ongoing C1 download problems, I am now seeing a significantly increased
    number of duplicate transactions coming down at each download ... they don’t get
    matched, so I end up with an imbalanced reconciliation if I wait until the C1
    monthly close.  I have not had this
    problem with Quicken in the 20+ years using it. 
    We do a lot of transactions through both C1 accounts, so I now reconcile
    them essentially every day to weed out any duplicates.  (You can set your reconcile setting to reconcile
    directly against the online balance.)   
    Yet another annoying aspect of the Q vs C1 standoff.
  • gehrke8003gehrke8003 Member
    edited November 2017
    I battled this for a year each blaming the other I decided I need Q more than C1 so I stopped using C1
  • rev.geoffrev.geoff Member
    edited January 2018

I battled this for a year each blaming the other I decided I need Q more than C1 so I stopped using C1

About six months back, a contributor to this discussion (or one just like it) said that she by-passed the Q connection to C1 all together. She went right to C1's own site and downloaded the transactions directly into Q from there. You can use whatever date range that you want to use, so I do it every five to seven days or so. It has been working great--no duplicates! No one time codes! No try agains from Q! I considered giving up my C1 for my AmEx, but C1 has the best points program in my arsenal. It's not ideal, but it works. 
This discussion has been closed.