QWin: security comparison mismatch

Steve7
Steve7 Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Has anyone seen this?  I only see one entry in my list of securities (lower case), and I cannot get this resolved.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Check to make sure that the ticker is correct.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Check your securities list.  What this is saying is that your broker is reporting 62 shares of a security that does not match the stock that you have stored in Quicken.

So for example, if you have 62 shares in Quicken of BACC (i.e. something different than BAC) and your broker is reporting that you have 62 shares of BAC then this error would occur.  

Check your quicken account and see what security (i.e. the name/symbol) you own (the exact name/symbol is important as we know it is bank of america).  Then look in your securities list to see if what you own in quicken is BAC (the specific symbol that your broker is reporting)?  There is a chance that you had a BAC-like security and then you downloaded transactions (and didn't match them to an existing security) so a new BAC-like security was created.  I know this is a little vague but it should point you in the right direction to find the issue.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I would go the Edit the security details for your BAC listing in Quicken. I would uncheck the box that it is Matched to an online security.  I would then go to Tools, Online Center, for that brokerage (financial institution), for that account, Holdings tab, and try the Compare to Portfolio button to get the brokerage's BANK OF AMERICA matched up to your Bank of America .
  • Steve7
    Steve7 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the responses, The ticker is correct, however when I try to uncheck the box that it is Matched to an online security, the box is already unchecked and grayed out.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Steve7 said:

Thanks for the responses, The ticker is correct, however when I try to uncheck the box that it is Matched to an online security, the box is already unchecked and grayed out.

the box is already unchecked and grayed out.
    My next step would be to return to the security list, make sure hidden securities are shown (check box near bottom), sort by Ticker (click the Symbol Header), and make sure there was not a hidden version of the BANK OF AMERICA security.  If there is, then begin taking steps to delete that version.  You'll need to edit any transactions of that version in other accounts to reflect your desired Bank of America version.  You may need to edit that BANK name to be more distinct from the Bank name.  

Once you have deleted the (hidden) BANK version, redownload and you should have the opportunity to match the brokerage's version to your Quicken version of the security.  

The principle at play here is that the Brokerage should be telling Quicken it has a security known as BANK OF AMERICA with a certain CUSIP#.  Quicken should have matched that with your direction or approval to the Bank of America security in Quicken, and it should have checked the box that those two were one-in-the-same.   
  • Steve7
    Steve7 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    OK- I clicked on the show hidden securities box, then went back to BAC and was able to check the Online security box.  After this morning's account update, the security mismatch is gone.  Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.