QWin: Is there a way to erase my investment page and start anew?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Is there a way to erase my investment page and start anew? The rest of my Quicken accounts - banking, credit cards, etc. are fine but the investments are screwed up.

Comments

• Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Sure. Delete the investment accounts and start fresh.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Which will, most likely, also screw up all banking account registers that were used to transfer funds into or out of the investment accounts. Not good.

You can try, but do make a backup of your Quicken data file first!
    Or, create a copy of your data file, then work with the copy.
    Whatever you do, do not burn any bridges behind you. You want to be able to fall back to a data file that has not been messed up

If this was my file, I'd fix the investment accounts. In chronological order, one transaction at a time until Holdings match the brokerage statement and the account reconciles to a month-end statement. And then on to the next month's transactions.
    Do you have "placeholder transactions" in your registers? Delete them and replace them with the correct transaction that should have been there in the first place.

• Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    UKR is right about it potentially screwing up the bank transfers. I was assuming this was a fairly new register that would be easy to reconstruct, but whether it is new or old I agree with UKR that fixing the register one transaction at a time is certainly the best way to handle this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Thank you both for your excellent replies.  I will try to clean up the mess following your advice.
This discussion has been closed.