automatic updates from Fideltiy Investments

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
On at least a monthly basis, I find myself deleting my Fidelity account information from Quicken and then adding them back.  This seems to be the only way to keep up with transactions.  This, surely, is not normal.  Or, is it?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What Q product? What product year?  What product release?  What operating system?  What country?

And, elaborate upon WHAT Fidelity Investments account info you're deleting ... because I consider Fidelity Investments to be the Gold Standard when it comes to connectivity with Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Quicken 2016 R 12 (25.1.12.2).  Windows 10.  USA

It does not seem to involve any particular Fidelity Investment - stocks versus mutual funds versus ETFs.  Quicken just doesn't seem to "keep up" with activity.  Every so often I have to delete the accounts entirely from Quicken then add them back as if new.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How are you doing those updates from Fido?  One Step Update?  OR are you manually initiating the downloads from within your Fido account in Q?  And, are these Fidelity NetBenefits accounts, or retail accounts?

In either case, are you getting any error messages or codes re: your Fido accounts when you download. 

And, have you tried the Account Reset action?  TOOLS, Account List, click EDIT adjacent to your Fido account, click Online Services and then Reset Account.

BTW, I currently download from 7 Fidelity accounts (previously 9) 6 days a week, and it's EXTREMELY rare that there's an issue with any of them.  Less than once a year.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Retail accounts.  I applied the "reset" protocol to each account.  Time will tell.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have not had this same problem with my Vanguard accounts.  go figure.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The other possibility is a damaged Q data file ... but let's hold off on that until we see if Reset worked.

And, you never replied re: HOW you're doing those update OR re: error codes/messages. 

NOR, for that matter, the reason why you need to perform those Delete and re-add actions ... i.e., what the original problem is.

And, to answer your last question, NO, it's not even close to normal.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

The other possibility is a damaged Q data file ... but let's hold off on that until we see if Reset worked.

And, you never replied re: HOW you're doing those update OR re: error codes/messages. 

NOR, for that matter, the reason why you need to perform those Delete and re-add actions ... i.e., what the original problem is.

Over a matter of a few weeks after a purchase or dividend reinvestment, the account balance in Quicken starts to lag behind what is shown in Fidelity.  Transactions seem to be missing.  Rather than trying to figure out which ones are missing, I decided to "start over".

No, I get no error messages.  The process seems to work fine from that perspective.

This problem has been off-and-on for several years now and I've simply gotten tired of it.  I may just change to Mint.com though, with my luck, the same problems will continue.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

You're using a Nuke to kill a small rodent.
    Comparing between your most recent statement from Fido, and you Q records to date, figure out what's missing.  Your OFX log can help with this, although it's not the easiest thing to read.  HELP, Log Files, OFX log.  Save it to your desktop and then open it with NotePad or WordPad (NOT MS Word).  Do a search (on the dollar amount of the missing transaction would be a good one) to see if the transactions are being sent.

Also, because Q remembers previously sent, and processed, transactions ... you might just be making matters worse.

Lastly, how are you recording those purchases or reinvestments?  What's in the Action column in your Q investment account for those transactions?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I guess this is the point where our view of life differ.  I shouldn't have to take the steps you outline in your note.  This software has been around for quite some time now and has to be purchased.  It is not Freeware or Shareware.

My expectations are that it should work without me having to babysit or audit it.

thanks for your input but I will find another software option.

This discussion has been closed.