QWin 2017: Build R10 build 26.1.10.8 and the program now downloads and stores a file called INET to

I just updated to version R10 build 26.1.10.8 and the program now downloads and stores a file called INET to my desktop, previous version did not do this, how do I correct this from happening?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Yes, how to we stop this.
  • RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited January 25
    When you do the Quicken 2017 R10 update, it places a sub folder called "INET" in the folder you keep your Quicken data file(s) on your hard drive in.  DON'T keep your QW data file on the desktop and you won't have that INET sub folder on the desktop.   As for me, my Quicken data files are kept in a folder on my hard drive called QW .  After the R10 update, I now have a sub folder named INET in the folder QW.

I should mention that the sub folder INET has a  subfolder in it entitled COMMON and that folder is empty.  We may soon hear from Quicken reps here that it is aok to just delete the INET folder and the folder named COMMON in that folder.  Until that time I would not delete either the folder named INET or COMMON.
  • Ken242Ken242 Member
    edited August 2017

When you do the Quicken 2017 R10 update, it places a sub folder called "INET" in the folder you keep your Quicken data file(s) on your hard drive in.  DON'T keep your QW data file on the desktop and you won't have that INET sub folder on the desktop.   As for me, my Quicken data files are kept in a folder on my hard drive called QW .  After the R10 update, I now have a sub folder named INET in the folder QW.

I should mention that the sub folder INET has a  subfolder in it entitled COMMON and that folder is empty.  We may soon hear from Quicken reps here that it is aok to just delete the INET folder and the folder named COMMON in that folder.  Until that time I would not delete either the folder named INET or COMMON.

I don't store my QW data files on my desktop. The update changed where this one file INET is stored, and placed it on the desktop, so that when ever you do a one step update, the program puts a new file on the desktop. I have looked in  the Quicken settings and I am unable to find where I can change the location of this one file.
    edited August 2017

@Ken ...  I stand by every detail in my original post here. I'm not guessing/speculating. IF you are seeing INET on your desktop it is because your working Quicken data file(s) is there. 
  • rpgarrett75703rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

what @Ken is saying is true. I don't store my Quicken data file on my desktop either. My quicken data file is located in a folder named Quicken in my "Documents" folder. When I originally installed Quicken it created a shortcut on my Windows 10 desktop (at least I think that's how it got there). After I launch Quicken by clicking on the shortcut and then just exit the program Quicken creates the INET folder on my desktop. If I delete the INET folder on my desktop it will get created again when I exit Quicken the next time. If instead I launch Quicken from the start menu no INET folder gets created on my desktop. Instead the folder gets created in my Documents/Quicken folder where my data file is located. Also, after I delete the desktop shortcut and manually recreate it the problem goes away. This is my observation. I'm not sure why the INET folder got created on the desktop since it only started happening after I installed the R10 mondo patch.
    edited August 2017

@rpgarrett75703 ...  I have done the R10 update on 9, Windows 10 computers.  What I mentioned in my original post is what I saw/experienced with all 9 computers. As I mentioned, I keep my Quicken data file(s) in a folder entitled QW on the C drive.  All 9 PC's are set-up the same.  I can only tell you what I experienced.  Lets see what others post here in regard to INET.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have also found INET on my desktop from time to time despite the fact that my data files are elsewhere.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • rpgarrett75703rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have Quicken running on 2 laptops. One laptop I upgraded to R10 and the other is still on R6. The one I upgraded to R10 is the one that created the INET folder on the desktop (at least it did before I recreated the shortcut). As I said in my previous post the INET folder is now located in the same folder as my Quicken data file. However, on the laptop running R6 there is no INET folder located in the folder where my Quicken data file is. The only place I see an INET folder is in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken. I should also mention this is true on the laptop running R10 in addition to the INET folder also appearing in the folder where my Quicken data file exists. The only difference is the folder C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet is not empty where the INET folder where my data file is located is with the exception of an empty COMMON folder.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I updated to QW2017 R10 about an hour ago ... and no INET folder/file anywhere on my desktop.

My Q data file is in a Quicken folder under my Documents folder.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I found one in My Documents Quicken folder which is where my data file is located.
    It was empty and I just deleted it.
    Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    edited August 2017

When I delete INET and then go to Quicken Deluxe 2017 R10 and do a OSU with one data file and then open another data file and also do a OSU. ... then I go to folder where my Quicken data files are stored and INET has been recreated..   Hmmmmm.....................
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have notice this bug for a while.  I have been jumping between betas so I wasn't really sure where it came in, but it definitely seems to be in Quicken 2017 R10.

This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".
    For most people that is a shortcut on the Desktop, for others it is where your Quicken data file is.

The folder doesn't cause any real problems, but until Quicken Inc fixes the problem there isn't really much you can do about it being created.

Its normal place is: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet
    And for the reading of the information in there it seems like it is still reading/writing from there.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

P.S. I believe that there are certain online activities that trigger it being created.  So it will probably show up for everyone eventually, but not just because you started Quicken.
    edited August 2017

YES, agree with this "Its normal place is: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet
    And for the reading of the information in there it seems like it is still reading/writing from there."

The INET folder and the sub folder COMMON found elsewhere are bogus, contain nothing/are not being written to.

I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's.
  • Darla WellsDarla Wells Member
    edited August 2017

I just updated Q2017 to R 10, and I'm having the same problem. The INET folder and the Common Folder in it are both empty. If I delete it, it just comes back. I really wish Quicken would get its act together!  This looks like a bug in the update.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited August 2017

Had to disable Malwarebytes for R10 install. First attempt for One Step Update hung on the Intuit Sign-In screen. Next attempt failed to find an Internet connection. Rebooted the system and everything runs normal now.

A search for the INET folder comes up not found. All of which is now making me wonder if I shouldn't do the MONDO patch?

I'm not wanting to hijack this thread, just participate and looking for some guidance. All help is appreciated.

E D I T:

Well I just added a transaction to my register and decided just out of curiosity to check my data file size with File Explorer and now I have C:\Users\Clayton\Documents\Quicken\INET\COMMON folders

I would still appreciate thoughts about running the MONDO Patch.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

Have you checked your Quicken program shortcut icon? 
    From the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken program start icon.
    Click "Open File Location". 
    This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk
    Right-click the file, click Properties. If necessary, select the Shortcut tab.
    Is there a folder name entered in the field "Start in:" ...?
    This field should be empty.

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

I "pin" Quicken data files to the Win 10 Task Bar.  Quicken icon is on Task Bar and I can  right mouse click to view pinned Quicken files and then left mouse click on the pinned Quicken data file I wish to open.

Note:  I keep all Quicken data files in C:\QW
    To pin, Quicken data files on Task Bar as mentioned above I just drag and drop each  data file on Task Bar to pin  ... Quicken 2017.
    I do not keep a "Tile" for Quicken in Start.

-
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Clayton your problem(s) are different than what is being discussed here.  I think you should either start your own thread (select NEW POST) from the top of the page.  You have some good insights on what might help for R10 sign in/One Step Update problems some people seem to be having with R10.

This thread on the other hand is about an extremely minor problem.  Just like where some versions of Quicken was creating a harmless debug.log file where Quicken was run from.  R10 seems to be creating a harmless INet folder.

It shouldn't do that, but it in fact doesn't cause any problems.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

This is the same thing we recommended with the debug.log file was being created at the same path as where Quicken is started from.

Since the "start path" of a program pinned to the task bar is some really hidden folder somewhere, you never see these kind of things.

BTW I assume you also don't see the *****OFXLOG.DAT files that are actually suppose to be stored with the data file.   Unlike the mistake for the debug.log and the INet folder.
    edited August 2017

I disagree. It did cause problems. I could not sign in either. Quicken just sat there spinning at the Login. I finally hit enter a number of times and was able to sign in. Since then I have had no problems starting Quicken as I then login automatically. Because of this glitch, I have not installed the update on a secondary  laptop that I also use, and I will not until Quicken fixes what they caused. I'm still undecided if I want to delete Quicken and reinstall the earlier generic.
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

I do see the see the *****OFLOG.DAT file for each data file in C:\QW  folder with the data files. Now I also have INET folder and it's sub folder COMMON.   As mentioned if I delete INET and it's subfolder it comes back after I do OSU for more then one data file.  I'm not fretting the INET..
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

I pinned the Quicken short cut to the task bar, as you
    suggested, and deleted the short cut from the desktop. The INET folder no
    longer appears on the desktop when I launch & close Quicken. That is a nice
    work around, however I prefer to have my Quicken desktop icon on my desktop. I
    just moved the INET folder to a less conspicuous place on the desktop. Quicken
    still needs to fix this or at least address their users as why they caused it.
    Until then I am not going to update my other computers to the new generic as I
    can't see any merit in doing so.

edited August 2017
    UKR said:

@Darla Wells ....  In regard to that INET folder on your Desktop.  Right mouse click on the folder and in properties you will be given the option to hide folder and to hide it's sub folder.  Select hide and both folders will no longer be visible.
  • Mark ClarkMark Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    I also have the INET folder problem. I checked my shortcut on my desktop and noticed it had nothing in the Start In properties box. I added the folder Quicken is in and deleted the INET folder. Now after starting Quicken and exiting there is no more INET folder on my desktop.

Even though this fixed my problem I'm certain there was a problem with the R10 update. After it was applied I had several issues. First one was my Anti Virus said QW.exe was acting suspicious and it wanted to fix it. I said ignore and it completed. Second was not being able to log in. Just got a white box that said log in but no place to do it. Started Quicken several times and it went from that to a spinning circle and then finally got the login box.

Hopefully Quicken issues a fix for the R10 release.
  • Macadamia NutMacadamia Nut Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm gobsmacked! I have the same INET folder continue to reappear on my desktop. This adds desktop clutter. It is annoying. You'd think by now with all these same complaints that INTUIT would have fixed the annoyance. SO FIX IT! 
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Nice trick, however "hiding" the folder only partially hides it. I can still see the "ghost" of the folder on the desktop. I suppose the reason for that is because if you couldn't see it at all, you couldn't find it to unhide it!
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread.  I do not have INET displayed on my Desktop. It is in the folder where my Quicken data files reside.  There INET and it's sub-folder COMMON are hidden.  IF I chose to unhide the folders I can change folder and search options  to show hidden files and folders and INET is again visible.
  • Greg MartinGreg Martin Member
    edited August 2017
    I have the same problem. I created a desktop icon from using the original shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017 and right clicking on it and using Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). I have check the Properties -> Start In and they are blank as suggested. I delete the INET folder on the desktop daily and it recreates when I download my bank transactions manually.  INTUIT / Quicken need to fix the problem. 
  • Jason GittmanJason Gittman Member
    edited August 2018
    I think I found the fix of this problem after the R-10 update.  Right click the Quicken icon on the desktop.  If the Start In box is empty type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" or whatever folder your qw.exe file is located on your computer.

After making this change the INET folder no longer appears on my desktop after closing the program.