Quicken 2017 vs Quicken 2016

124»

Comments

• HOODYHOODY Member
    edited March 2017
    Anne B said:

I am seriously thinking of going back to 2016.  I thought from the description of 2017 that they had improved the mobile app but it doesn't appear to be any different. I had also hoped for improvements to the budgeting process. Seems like the only difference is the lack of contrast between the text and the background making it hard for "old" eyes to see. I notice this is also the case with the Community screens. I did find that under Edit>Preference>Startup Preferences> there is a slider under Quicken Colors that if moved all the way to the right, increases saturation and adds a little more contrast. This does seem to help. 

2 months since any updates, hope developers are reading comments before releasing the next one.
  • jdonaldsjdonalds Member
    edited March 2017
    Anne B said:

I am seriously thinking of going back to 2016.  I thought from the description of 2017 that they had improved the mobile app but it doesn't appear to be any different. I had also hoped for improvements to the budgeting process. Seems like the only difference is the lack of contrast between the text and the background making it hard for "old" eyes to see. I notice this is also the case with the Community screens. I did find that under Edit>Preference>Startup Preferences> there is a slider under Quicken Colors that if moved all the way to the right, increases saturation and adds a little more contrast. This does seem to help. 

Lets hope they put the color back in Quicken. I find it more difficult to use with the "flat" design.
  • jetdriverjetdriver Member
    edited October 2018

I wouldn't hold my breath! For the first time since I've been using Quicken, and that's a lllooooonnnngggg time, I just went back to the last version (2016). I have been using Quicken since the DOS days, before QW and I have never seen them ignore user input as much as they do now.

I have even been beta testing a few versions now and they just don't care any more! When this became a stand-alone product, I thought things would get better, but obviously not. It's a shame, but I think it's time to search for a new banking product! :(

• HOODYHOODY Member
    edited March 2017
    jetdriver said:

I wouldn't hold my breath! For the first time since I've been using Quicken, and that's a lllooooonnnngggg time, I just went back to the last version (2016). I have been using Quicken since the DOS days, before QW and I have never seen them ignore user input as much as they do now.

I have even been beta testing a few versions now and they just don't care any more! When this became a stand-alone product, I thought things would get better, but obviously not. It's a shame, but I think it's time to search for a new banking product! :(

I hear ya, pretty much same here, problem is there's not much out there that competes with it. In my case I could do with most any version if this thing would just update the tax year each year "without having to buy a new version". I don't do the online banking thing as it is. I may check my account via my bank, but don't do any "automatic payment" stuff, or upload/download any of my bank info with this program.
  • mrluckeymrluckey Member
    edited March 2017
    jetdriver said:

How hard ist it to revert back to 2016?
  • Alvin SomersAlvin Somers Member
    edited March 2017
    Anne B said:

Am having the same contrast problem. Have been using for 20 years, maybe my eyesight, but do not think so. Very difficult using with very little contrast
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    jetdriver said:

For the first time in remembered history, Quicken did not change the file format between Quicken for Windows 2016 and 2017.

2016 can read a 2017 file, as long as it is Deluxe or higher.

So, you would just need to re-install QW2016. 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jetdriverjetdriver Member
    edited March 2017
    jetdriver said:

Not hard at all. For the first time, there were no changes to the data file structure. 2016 will still open your 2017 qdata file. Just uninstall and reinstall 2016. You'll be glad you did! Like seeing an old friend!
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited August 2017
    OK, so just updated to R5, thought "maybe",.... na,... I guess developers don't want to see or know about what "users" think. As usual nothing in the GUI has changed, I have no idea just what did change to warrant the update, I assume its security related for on line banking users.

I'll make up my mind on where to go by time the 2018 version is out, for now I will march on with what it is. Been using this program since its conception.
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited April 2017
    HOODY said:

OK, so just updated to R5, thought "maybe",.... na,... I guess developers don't want to see or know about what "users" think. As usual nothing in the GUI has changed, I have no idea just what did change to warrant the update, I assume its security related for on line banking users.

I'll make up my mind on where to go by time the 2018 version is out, for now I will march on with what it is. Been using this program since its conception.

Just installed R6, and as usual no GUI changes at all, at this point I assume its a dead issue with Quicken, and their developers, in other words they have no intention of reverting to "colored" icons or any other GUI changes back to colors of any kind other than what it is. So this is all I'm gona say about it anymore this point.
  • BarryBarry Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, I can live with the color issues, although I would prefer the old one.

As to going back, my installation said it was deinstalling '16 and then installing '17, will this affect going back? 
    The reason I am considering going back to'16 is it seem that copying a report  to XL has changed, afaics, and also that I cannot find the compare years on p&L reports, handy when doing tax returns. 
  • jdonaldsjdonalds Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

As to going back, my installation said it was deinstalling '16 and then installing '17, will this affect going back? 
    The reason I am considering going back to'16 is it seem that copying a report  to XL has changed, afaics, and also that I cannot find the compare years on p&L reports, handy when doing tax returns. 

If it were me I'd save a copy of the current 2017 file, then reload 2016 version. From what I understand there is no file change from 2016 to 2017 so it should work.

I wish Quicken would simply charge $20 a year for access to downloads and let us keep whatever version we choose. I'd still be on 2011 for the superior budget features. I struggle every month with the 2017 budget design.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

@Barry...you should uninstall Quicken 2017 using qcleanui.exe.  DO NOT USE Windows Uninstaller.

Then, reinstall Quicken 2016.  You can use your current data file as Q2016 and Q2017 are compatible with no conversion needed.

So, you should be good to go.  
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

@jdonalds  Your wish will be partially granted.  Starting with Quicken 2018, it has been rumored that Quicken will go to an annual subscription model where you will pay an ANNUAL fee for your Quicken.  This will allow you transaction downloads, security updates, support and maintenance releases and upgrades.

The bad news?  If you don't renew your subscription, Quicken will lock your data to "read only".  Even manual entry will not be allowed.

And the other bad news?  Pricing should be less than Quicken's retail price for a new year version, but substantially higher than discounted pricing from Amazon or Costco.  And of course, you'll have to pay that subscription price EVERY year forever.   
  • write2julswrite2juls Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

Clearly another cash grab for a software monopoly.  I so wish I could find a better alternative to Quicken, but for the retired home user with minimal requirements, there doesn't seem to be one.  Once upon a time, when I ran a home business and had some investments, Qucken served me well, but now I'm caught up in the Quicken merry-go-round and can't get off.  They've made big bucks off small users like me.
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

If they go to that subscription crap I'm done, I'll just use the last available "full" version from than on just for the ability to keep track of my "personal" finance use. I don't do on line banking anyway, I do all my stuff myself. This subscription stuff is BS as it is, like being chained to the bumper standing on a skate board, with no way to jump off. Screw that.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

If you're not downloading transactions or security prices, if you're not using the mobile app, if you're not setting up online bills...then why would you ever upgrade your Quicken?

i don't see any reason to.  You don't need or use those features.  So, why ever upgrade?  You could be using Quicken 2010 and still have it work for you.  
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited June 2017
    Barry said:

I upgrade mainly for the yearly tax planner update to the next tax year, wish that was just a downloadable update. I use this to keep track of my est taxes. That's all.
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited August 2017
    Got some information e-mail from the owner of Quicken a few days ago, has some sort of video talking about the changes, I didn't watch it.  I'm assuming there won't be any more updates to 2017 either. Didn't see anything mentioned in the e-mail about what people have been asking about either.
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

Got some information e-mail from the owner of Quicken a few days ago, has some sort of video talking about the changes, I didn't watch it.  I'm assuming there won't be any more updates to 2017 either. Didn't see anything mentioned in the e-mail about what people have been asking about either.

Since you didn’t watch the video, your assumptions may or may not be correct. Did you get the earlier e-mail telling you about the forthcoming update to QW2017 to implement the changeover to the Quicken ID?

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

Yeah, OK, could be...............

Never got any e-mail like that.that I recall,   e-mail says "Canada" version, and to "disregard" the email if using another version.  I'm in the US not Canada, and don't use any Canadian version.

Besides just checked my log in info and it works fine.
  • HOODYHOODY Member
    edited October 2018
    Looks like Quicken did release another update for 2017 version, I thought since it was so close to 2018 they would have just left it.

This is a big update, 430 mb to almost 600 for the mondo patch,  Am D/Ling it now and will be interested in just what this big update holds, if any of the user complaints are even incorporated this time. Weird though the update went from R6 right to R10??.

Anyway, good to see they are working on it :)
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

Looks like Quicken did release another update for 2017 version, I thought since it was so close to 2018 they would have just left it.

This is a big update, 430 mb to almost 600 for the mondo patch,  Am D/Ling it now and will be interested in just what this big update holds, if any of the user complaints are even incorporated this time. Weird though the update went from R6 right to R10??.

R7, R8 and R9 were internal releases that were not successful and canned.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• HOODYHOODY Member
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

Man, a near 600 mg update, and still nothing GUI wise as far as bringing back the color in the icons, Hard to believe a small piece of code can't be added back to all that, heck just to be able to "select" which type a user may like would be good.

Other than that, keep the updates comin.........
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

This is a big update, 430 mb to almost 600 for the mondo patch
    Yes and no.  The size is certainly big.  In fact it is about twice the size of the actual install of Quicken (original release).

I noticed that the automatic patch download was about 45MB.  That one is just sending the "differences".  The manual patching actually works by having every patch that came before it.

As in say they release at R1 and he patch is R10.
    R10 actually has R2 through R10 in it.
    Depending on what release you are on, it applies one after the other until it finishes with the R10 patch.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    HOODY said:

Hard to believe a small piece of code can't be added back to all that,
    heck just to be able to "select" which type a user may like would be
    good.
    I'm afraid that you are a bit naive on how hard what you are suggesting is.

For instance just look at "a color".
    You have a graph and the plot is green.  The selecting of green was done at the time the call to create the graph is made.  Now someone says it should be blue instead.  What they would do is go into the code and change the color selected in that call.

But now you say "let the user select".  For that to happen you aren't just changing a line of code.  You need to create some kind of GUI control that the user can select the color.  You have to fit that into the dialog and such.  You have to also make sure you save that setting in the database, and also work out how the underline create graph call is going to pick up that information.

Also why you start talking about things like say the different "look and feel" parts of a GUI you start to run into problems of how it should all fit on any given dialog/window/screen.

For instance people probably have notice a lot of cutoff text in parts of Quicken 2017.  This is mostly do to them using a slightly wide font then they were using in the past.  In a great amount of locations in Windows GUIs things are done on a fixed size.  Even though you don't see it most text is fit in a "box" of a fixed size.  If the text gets to long, it gets cut off.  Even a slight change in the fonts can cause things to get cut off like this.  And when you bring in Windows scaling and such for displays down to 1024x768 (and some people even try smaller) to high DPI screens that can exceed 4K in width, it gets really hard to satisfy everyone.