Dividends from Fidelity

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using Quicken 2017 Deluxe R10 ... My dividends from Fidelity are not loading properly.  I can see what is happening that is not correct.  The dividends are recorded in the 'dividends rec'd' pop-up box that Quicken uses.  The dividend amount is correctly stated on the right-hand side of that box.  But Quicken is not recognizing it and it is not appearing in my reports.  When I manually re-enter a dividend transaction (using the same pop-up box) but put the amount in the 'miscellaneous' box on the right and then indicate 'div income' in the 'category for miscellaneous' box on the left, it works perfectly.  So for some reason the category of 'dividend' on the right hand side is not 'connected' to the reporting.  Please help.  Thanks - 

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

The categories used by Quicken for Interest and Dividend Income are the built-in ones, _DivInc, _IntInc, etc. (anything beginning with an underscore is a built-in required category)

All these categories should show up properly in all of the tax - related reports.

In homegrown reports: ensure these categories are selected to be included, as well as the related investment accounts.

Double-check the Category List. It's possible that some of these categories are marked hidden erroneously. Unhide them.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    A bit more info needed.
    Is this a Fidelity retail account?  Or a Fidelity NetBenefits account?

IF a retail account, are you using the "Linked Cash account" feature, that causes all of your cash transactions to appear in a checking type account?

Is this the pop-up box that you're describing:
    imageimage

OR, is this it:

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The pop-up is the first one you list above .. It is a retail (not NetBenefits) account ... I did double-check and none of the accounts is hidden.  I even tried the 'recategorize' option and moved the _DivInc items to Div Income ... The Div Income category shows zero activity all year even though I have received dividends and they are all recorded in the first box above.  Again, if I put the dividend amount manually into "Miscellaneous" and then use the right drop-down on the left-hand side, everything works fine - but obviously I don't want to do that for all the dividends.  Thanks for you help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mirror said:

The pop-up is the first one you list above .. It is a retail (not NetBenefits) account ... I did double-check and none of the accounts is hidden.  I even tried the 'recategorize' option and moved the _DivInc items to Div Income ... The Div Income category shows zero activity all year even though I have received dividends and they are all recorded in the first box above.  Again, if I put the dividend amount manually into "Miscellaneous" and then use the right drop-down on the left-hand side, everything works fine - but obviously I don't want to do that for all the dividends.  Thanks for you help.

After you record the dividend (or accept it from download) does it appear in your investment account register?

If so, what's in the Action column for that transaction?

And, what do you mean by "Div Income" ... because  _DivInc IS the "Dividend Income" category that's used by Q in it's reports.  Have you checked that it's marked for inclusion in your reports?

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mirror said:

Did you also check that the _DivInc CATEGORY is included in your reports?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    yes it appears in register ... under Action, it says "Div" ... I have 2 different 'Categories' listed for dividends .. one is called "Div Income" and that's the one that has no activity, but which I thought was the category that should have all activity.  The other is "_DivInc" which does have activity but not appearing on reports.  I never knew the tax category had anything to do with reports (why do I have 2 dividend categories?) - I have now 'unhid' the tax category, which I didn't know existed, and things seem to be OK.  I am a very old (more than 20 years) Q user so maybe my categories got somehow duplicated or something - doesn't make sense that there would be 2 dividend categories.  But thanks for your help - things seem to be working OK now thanks to you all!  :)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mirror said:

yes it appears in register ... under Action, it says "Div" ... I have 2 different 'Categories' listed for dividends .. one is called "Div Income" and that's the one that has no activity, but which I thought was the category that should have all activity.  The other is "_DivInc" which does have activity but not appearing on reports.  I never knew the tax category had anything to do with reports (why do I have 2 dividend categories?) - I have now 'unhid' the tax category, which I didn't know existed, and things seem to be OK.  I am a very old (more than 20 years) Q user so maybe my categories got somehow duplicated or something - doesn't make sense that there would be 2 dividend categories.  But thanks for your help - things seem to be working OK now thanks to you all!  :)

You must have created the "Div Income" category ... because Q, on it's own, would only use _DivInc.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mirror said:

The ACTION might say "Div" in the register itself, which means that that transaction is assigned a Category of "_DivInc" by Quicken, automatically.  But that doesn't mean that "_DivInc" is going to show up in your reports unless the Category _DivInc is explicitly INCLUDED in the report's setup.

So I say again, if you open the report, click "Customize", click "Categories" and scroll down is the box next to "_DivInc" checked so that Category is included in the report?  Absent some data base corruption that's the only reason I can think of that you'd not see that Category in your reports.
This discussion has been closed.