Zero balances are showing up in red with a negative sign

For some reason, Quicken for Mac 2017 is showing me balances of -$0 in red, rather than black. I'm embarrassed by how much that's annoying me, but I find the red distracting as I'm scrolling through my transactions. Is this a bug anyone else has encountered? I've never had a personal finance or accounting package show a zero balance this way.

Thanks,

Rae

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What if you added a penny transaction? Or two transactions for the same amount to cancel out. Maybe that would change it to a positive zero.
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited December 2018
    I tried that, but I'm still left with a negative zero. :(
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    TravelingRae: Could you tell us exactly where you are seeing this?

You mentioned scrolling through transactions: in a register, or in a report, or somewhere else? Please be specific.

And you mentioned balances: do you mean account balances (in the left sidebar, or at the top right corner of a window), or, is this the running balance in a register, or are you seeing this problem in the amount of certain transactions?

Is this a banking account, or an investment account?

A screenshot would be great. As would any more details.

With enough information, perhaps someone else can duplicate this problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
    edited December 2018
    Oh, I resolved this. It was in both the register, in the balance column, and in the accounts sidebar. A zero balance would show up as -0.00 in red. What was happening was that I had an extra line in a split transaction that was at 0. I'm unable to reproduce this, so I think it was one of those one-time bugs.
  • John ElliottJohn Elliott Member
    edited May 2017
    I also show a zero balance as a -0.00 in red.  I have yet to figure out how to resolve this.  I looked at all my split transactions and see no errors. The -0.00 balance in red is actually happening on several of my accounts.  It show the -0.00 in red in the register balance, as well as, on the left hand side tool bar that list all accounts and their balances.
  • edited June 2017
    I am experiencing the same thing.  It seems a recent update to the software did this, as it hasn't been a problem for the several years I've used the software.
  • David SandDavid Sand Member
    edited December 2018
    The -$0.00 shows in the Account Listing and in the registers as both "Today's Balance", "Projected Balance" and in the Balance column with the running balance.  I've looked at every transaction between the first -$0.00 and the previous $0.00 but nothing seems to cause this.  I had some splits that had $0 in some categories and eliminated those, but nothing has changed.  I've also tried to manually reconcile to a $0.00 balance.  I can, but the -$0.00 remains.  The "Remaining Credit" is reduced by $1, so I am convinced Quicken has a fraction internally for one or more transactions that is causing this.  It shouldn't bother me, but it really does.  I keep stopping to see if I owe anything on cards that should be $0.  If anyone has a definite resolution, I'd appreciate it.
    edited July 2017

The -$0.00 shows in the Account Listing and in the registers as both "Today's Balance", "Projected Balance" and in the Balance column with the running balance.  I've looked at every transaction between the first -$0.00 and the previous $0.00 but nothing seems to cause this.  I had some splits that had $0 in some categories and eliminated those, but nothing has changed.  I've also tried to manually reconcile to a $0.00 balance.  I can, but the -$0.00 remains.  The "Remaining Credit" is reduced by $1, so I am convinced Quicken has a fraction internally for one or more transactions that is causing this.  It shouldn't bother me, but it really does.  I keep stopping to see if I owe anything on cards that should be $0.  If anyone has a definite resolution, I'd appreciate it.

Wondering if you're the David Sand that I know. If so, what a small world. :)

But more to the point of this thread, the problem is coming up again. I'm starting to think it's a rounding error.
    edited July 2017

Hi TravelingRae, can't say if I'm the one or not, but it definitely is a small world, so feel free to reach out :)

I agree.  It may be when I use the calculator to break down sales tax and use a percentage.  It appears correctly, but possibly stores some fractional data.  However, for reconciling, Quicken doesn't tell me that $0.00 is out of balance or try to add a correction transaction, so perhaps the code missed something in the balance display but ignores it where it in other areas.  Frustrating, but not critical!
    edited July 2017

Do you have a wife whose name start with an L? :)

I find the Quick calculator is not reliable and have stopped using it. I think you may be right about the fractional data not being reflected in all modes. Quicken should pay us to be doing their debugging for them! :)
    edited July 2017

We are both D's. Scary to think there may be two of me out there! Hopefully Quicken will figure this out. Probably not high up on the list.
    edited July 2017

There's two of you out there who use Macs! :)

At any rate, I'm still tracking this and trying to find a trigger for this happening.
    edited July 2017

Just an update to help that debug team.  I eliminated all split transactions between the last $0.00 balance and the -$0.00 balance.  That did not change the situation, so it's not the calculator.  I then re-typed every transaction amount between the two $0 balances.  That worked.  So obviously one transaction (or more) was causing the issue.  I could not duplicate by entering any fractional info (such as $1.234) into one or multiple transactions.  It's a bug!  But at least for the moment, I'll take the $0.00.

One other bit of info.  Prior to the resolution above, I exported to a .csv file and opened with a text editor to see if -$0.00 was present.  It was not.  Everything added correctly to $0.00.
    edited July 2017

Dang, the closer we get, the further we are to the solution. :(
  • macindigomacindigo Member
    edited June 2018

I too have seen this red -0.00 behaviour but it does not appear to have any effect on the actual financial calculations.

A red -0.00 balance can be corrected, by quitting Quicken and then restarting it. The transaction will then show the zero balance properly so it seems to be a bug in how some 0.00 balances are displayed.
    edited August 2017

Quitting and restarting; as well as rebooting the computer; did not work for me :(.  The problem had existed for several weeks.  It's impact seems to just be to annoy us as I don't see any real issue with my balances!  I did resolve it for now by retyping each of the dollar amounts in each entry from the last time $0.00 displayed correctly to the first time -$0.00 displayed.  Thanks!!
  • Scott RaymondScott Raymond Member
    edited August 2017

I too was having this problem but what was bugging me even more is that my remaining balance was showing as a dollar short. I tried retyping the dollar amounts in each entry from the last time $0.00 displayed but that did not work. It didn't fix until I retyped the dollar amount for the very first transaction when the account was opened. Once I did that, the remaining balance showed the correct amount and the $0.00 was no longer red or negative.
    edited August 2017

Hi Scott.  Thank you for the comments.  Frankly, my solution worked for one account but it has since appeared in others.  There's no rhyme or reason for it.  In one case, an account that started with $0.00 and had one transaction for $100.00.  When I paid the $100.00, it showed as -$0.00.  I've given up :).  It does impact the available balance, but I'm tired of trying to fix it each time it shows up!
  • Scott RaymondScott Raymond Member
    edited August 2017

Actually, yes as soon as I made that comment I synced all of my accounts to mobile and the problem reappeared but I was able to retype that one transaction again and it fixed it but it has something to do with updating the account as the problem comes back every time.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I would look into Placeholder transactions (show up as light grey entries) and consider simply deleting them. You can them create a new manual entry to replace it if necessary. By deleting it, Quicken will no longer try to automatically re-adjust your account balance.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited August 2017

Thank you for the answer; it gave me something else to look at.  But there are no placeholder transactions in the affected accounts :(
  • Jason KingJason King Member
    edited August 2017
    Hey guys. I'm having a similar problem in the Budget view. Screengrab attached, where you see one "negative zero" as well as a neutral zero below it.

It's also showing me as over budget for the month where I've budgeted $82.82 and spent $82.82. None of the transactions in that total have splits, FYI. If I bring up the "Edit Budget" window and simply re-enter $82.82 for this month and save, then the negative zero displays properly. However, it always goes back to negative when I restart Quicken.

Any ideas?

• Jason KingJason King Member
    edited August 2017

Hey guys. I'm having a similar problem in the Budget view. Screengrab attached, where you see one "negative zero" as well as a neutral zero below it.

It's also showing me as over budget for the month where I've budgeted $82.82 and spent $82.82. None of the transactions in that total have splits, FYI. If I bring up the "Edit Budget" window and simply re-enter $82.82 for this month and save, then the negative zero displays properly. However, it always goes back to negative when I restart Quicken.

Any ideas?

Hmm. This seems to have resolved itself...