QWin 2017 Premier: Custom Portfolio across accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2017 in Investing (Windows)
In Quicken 2017 Premier, is there a way to create custom portfolios to track that are across accounts?  For example, I am following the Motley Fool Discovery portfolio and purchased equities across three investable accounts and want to track that in Quicken.

Comments

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I'm not aware that Quicken supports custom portfolios like that, if it does I'm sure someone will point it out and I'm happy to be proved wrong.

But if I'm not wrong I can suggest a workaround using Investing Goals. It won't work if you're already making use of Investing Goals on the securities in question though.

If you edit a security there's a button at the bottom of the window labelled "Other Info", which opens another popup window when pressed:

Note the button that's labelled "Edit Goals".  Press that and you can create your own Investing Goal Name.  Create one called "Motley Fool" and then set all of the securities in question to have that goal.

Next, on the Investing Tab, set the "Group By" dropdown list to "Investing Goal":

You should now be able to see the securities you are interested in grouped together and sub-totaled under the "Motley Fool" goal.

Also not that if one or more of the securities exists in more than one account, and they are not all part of you Motley Fool portfolio, then it won't work correctly.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Dan,

What can I say but thank you.  That's a great workaround and I will work now to implement it.  If Quicken supports it in another way, then I will be happy to use it but I think this option will easily meet my immediate needs.  Thanks again for the quick reply!

Bryan
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The Investing tab's Portfolio has 18 customizable views. Each view can be customized to display the desired accounts and securities, along with a wide variety of investment data and measures.

I would try customizing a Portfolio view for your Motley Fool Discovery portfolio.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    mshiggins said:

The Investing tab's Portfolio has 18 customizable views. Each view can be customized to display the desired accounts and securities, along with a wide variety of investment data and measures.

I would try customizing a Portfolio view for your Motley Fool Discovery portfolio.

That's a much better solution than mine. I'd never appreciated that so much could be configured on those custom views, but I've just been having a look in detail and I can see I'll be making more use of them myself now.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
This discussion has been closed.