transfer stock from one account to another and preserve cost basis

Options
Dean Hinson
Dean Hinson Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2017 Premier for Windows. Our company switched financial comanpies for our 401k. When I used the transfer stock between accounts, everything seem to have worked; I can see the transaction history when I Security Detail View; I do see lot information; but the lot information is without price(Cost). So, the Coast Basis column is 0 and does provide and accurate gain/loss.

I have seen a lot of postings on this topics but nothing seems to be an 100% solution. Is this a bug in the Transfer Security function that needs to be fixed? 

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One way to handle this would be to not open a new account for the new provider, just go into the account details for the existing account and change the account number and the online setup for the new provider. You may have to delete some transactions showing the shares transferred out and in, but once that has settled down it should pick up from where it left off.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Would it make sense under this scenario to create the new account for an initial download, then delete the "new account" in Quicken, after which change the old account details to the new brokerage and account number for subsequent downloads?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dave Saul said:

Would it make sense under this scenario to create the new account for an initial download, then delete the "new account" in Quicken, after which change the old account details to the new brokerage and account number for subsequent downloads?

Why bother?  What does that get you than just changing the info on the existing account doesn't do?

In order to change the info, you must first deactivate the account from all download and then exit Q and restart Q ... then reactivate with the new brokerage.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.