How to stop combining investment dividend / purchase transactions

Options
Rick9
Rick9 Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When I get investment equity dividend transactions followed (on a later date) a purchase of that equity, and I don't get a chance to download the transactions before both arrive, Quicken automatically merges them into a single Reinvestment transaction.

Although the net effect is correct, this creates reconciliation problems when the dividend arrives at the end of the month, and the purchase occurs at the beginning of the next month.  My cash balance (for that equity is wrong) at the end of the month, so it doesn't match the month-end statement.

In order to 'fix' it so that I can reconcile these accounts, I have to manually add a dividend income transaction for the month-end date, then change the 'ReInvDiv' transaction to a 'Buy' transaction.

Is there a way to 'turn off' the automatic merging of these two types of transactions?

I am running Quicken Home & Business 2016 on Windows 10.

Thanks.

Rick

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This never happens with my accounts and I don't see an option for this in Quicken.

What is the Financial Institution? My guess is that they are doing this in the downloaded data and thus the only way to change it would be a change or option at their end.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rick9
    Rick9 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks, Jim.  This actually happens with multiple investment institutions.  I've actually 'tested' it by seeing the dividend transactions downloaded and I deliberately didn't accept them.  A couple of days later (after the 'Buy' transactions were downloaded, the transactions were 'merged' into ReinvDiv tranactions.  Charles Schwab is the one where I notice it the most, but there are others.

I appreciate the reply.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Behavior with three brokers I have noted:

Schwab - If you download the day of the dividend (and accept the Div) and the day after the Div, it sets up a "Buy" transaction. If you wait 2 days, it presents a ReinvDiv transaction.

TD - Automatically presents a ReinvDiv transaction.

Fidelity - Automatically presents a ReinvDiv transaction.

I like the Div/Buy option, I spend a lot of time modifying transactions.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
This discussion has been closed.