entered 403B account, listed as withdrawal???? Quicken Premier for windows 2017

Ila Barnes
Ila Barnes Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
entered 403B account, listed as withdrawal with no account balance visible on register; Quicken Premier for windows 2017, wndows 10

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    MUCH more info needed. What you you mean by "entered 403B account, listed as withdrawal"?

Have you input transactions into the account?  How did you record the starting balance?  Are you downloading into the account?  Did you set this up as an  403B type account?  An Investment type account?  What?

Have you looked in the lower right corner for the "account balance"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ila Barnes
    Ila Barnes Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I entered investment info for the first time; now listed as withdrawal on register without $ balance; manual input. Set up as 403B account; unclear how to set up with opening balance and therefore how to add transactions for account with $ amounts only.  Where can I get tutoring on thie investment setup? Thank you
  • Ila Barnes
    Ila Barnes Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    cash balance is listed as 0
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

cash balance is listed as 0

What financial institution holds the 403B?  Can you download from them?  What are you holding in the account?  Cash only?  Cash and securities/funds?

And, there is no "Balance" column in any investment account.  There's a "Share Bal" column, but that's the balance of the particular security after the particular transaction.  And there's a "Cash Bal" column, but again that's only after the particular transaction.  See the graphic, below.

Have you looked at the Portfolio dialog?  INVESTING, Portfolio.  Does your 403B show there.

AND, in the 403B transaction register, what's in the "Action" column?  Do you have only the 1 transaction?  Or more than one?

• Ila Barnes
    Ila Barnes Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I prefer to enter manually. Account holds  mutual funds(as per employer plan); I can see the holdings when the holdings tab is opened however this is not visible on the register. Is there any explanation for the initial entry being listed as a withdrawal? I entered the info via the advanced settings link.  And yes I listed all of the fund holdings. Any help on how to enter future transactions with a statement that only listed $ value, not # of shares. Is there a good manual/book?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I prefer to enter manually. Account holds  mutual funds(as per employer plan); I can see the holdings when the holdings tab is opened however this is not visible on the register. Is there any explanation for the initial entry being listed as a withdrawal? I entered the info via the advanced settings link.  And yes I listed all of the fund holdings. Any help on how to enter future transactions with a statement that only listed $ value, not # of shares. Is there a good manual/book?

Is there a good manual/book?
    Yes.  It's called HELP and it's accessed via the F1 key.

• Ila Barnes
    Ila Barnes Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, but I was wondering if there is something I can read at home unconnected
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Thanks, but I was wondering if there is something I can read at home unconnected

You don't need to be connected to use Q Help.  And, presumably, your computer is at home.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When you create a new investment account using the Add Account wizard in Quicken, the only entry you may see in your register will be a Deposit or Withdraw. You will see that the Category for this transaction is the same as the account name, with brackets around it, meaning that it is a transfer to the same account. There will also be Placeholder entries for your current holdings, but these may be hidden depending on your register setup. 

You can think of the Deposit or Withdraw as a dummy transaction that Quicken uses to set the initial cash balance in the account. If your account has no cash balance, only mutual funds, and this bothers you, you can safely delete this transaction.

The Placeholders for your holdings are there to let you specify the details of your purchases of the securities. Search this forum or Quicken help for information on resolving placeholders

The account balance info will be at the bottom right of the register - Cash Balance (often zero), Securities Value, and Total Market Value, which is the sum of these two. 

I hope this helps get you started.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.