Just installed R3 and it has totally hosed the gui

13»

Comments

• AndrewAndrew Member
    edited June 2018
    This has happened to me too - Windows 10, Surface Pro 3. It's horrible. Seriously, no pre-release testing on a decent selection of devices.
  • edited November 2016
    Andrew said:

This has happened to me too - Windows 10, Surface Pro 3. It's horrible. Seriously, no pre-release testing on a decent selection of devices.

R3 looks bad on a SP3? That's weird since it's a huge improvement on a SP4 and there's not much of a resolution difference. This has to be a setting issue. Are you using a second monitor?
  • Brent B.Brent B. Member
    edited March 2017
    My machine is running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on a Intel Core i7-6500U @ 2.50GHZ. Display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 520. Screen Resolution is set at 1920x1080 with the windows recommended default of 150% on the slider bar. If you slide down to 125% or 100% it doesn't clear up anything. Quicken will scale the screen down of course and get rid of the slider bars so everything will fit on the screen, but I can't come up with an explanation for the fuzzy text. But you would not be able to leave the slider bar on these settings because every other program on the laptop would be too small to read. I understand that there are different machines with different settings and resolutions, but something is definitely not right here. Back when I had 2016 everything was goofed up. Big text in the register, tiny text in the downloaded transaction screen. It was a mess. When I downloaded 2017 everything looked perfect. I was so glad they had figured it out. Then came the R3 update that ruined it. It isn't as bad as the 2016 version, but much worse than what they started with on the 2017 Deluxe version.
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited November 2016
    Andrew said:

No, but I will review the workaround about settings above.
  • edited November 2016
    Brent B. said:

My machine is running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on a Intel Core i7-6500U @ 2.50GHZ. Display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 520. Screen Resolution is set at 1920x1080 with the windows recommended default of 150% on the slider bar. If you slide down to 125% or 100% it doesn't clear up anything. Quicken will scale the screen down of course and get rid of the slider bars so everything will fit on the screen, but I can't come up with an explanation for the fuzzy text. But you would not be able to leave the slider bar on these settings because every other program on the laptop would be too small to read. I understand that there are different machines with different settings and resolutions, but something is definitely not right here. Back when I had 2016 everything was goofed up. Big text in the register, tiny text in the downloaded transaction screen. It was a mess. When I downloaded 2017 everything looked perfect. I was so glad they had figured it out. Then came the R3 update that ruined it. It isn't as bad as the 2016 version, but much worse than what they started with on the 2017 Deluxe version.

On the Surface Pro 4 it was exactly the opposite. Fuzzy text prior to R3 and R3 cleared it up. Very, very strange.
  • Glenn FGlenn F Member
    edited January 11

Dell Inspiron i7-7352 2in1 laptop running windows 10.  This laptop shipped with windows 10 about 1 year ago.  Integrated Intel HD5500 graphics.  The display is set at 1920x1080 which is the native resolution.  The display settings are set to 150% which is the recommended setting.  All of these have been working perfectly until the update to R3.

Now I get the "Low Screen Resolution" window, and of course everything is fuzzy.  The columns are all out of whack.

Any suggestions to correct this?  I can always change my display settings to 100% so I can see the whole display, but then everything else on my laptop is in miniature.

• Carol I.Carol I. Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm having GUI (blurry screen) issues also, Windows 10, 1920 x 1080 resolution, the screen is making me go blind, I have the R3 version installed. Please is there a fix?
    edited January 11
    I am having the blurry view problem also. Windows 10, 1920 X 1080 resolution, new laptop. This just started with the new install of 2017 R3. The blurry resolution is really nauseating, does someone have a fix?!!!!
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    Glenn F said:

Dell Inspiron i7-7352 2in1 laptop running windows 10.  This laptop shipped with windows 10 about 1 year ago.  Integrated Intel HD5500 graphics.  The display is set at 1920x1080 which is the native resolution.  The display settings are set to 150% which is the recommended setting.  All of these have been working perfectly until the update to R3.

Now I get the "Low Screen Resolution" window, and of course everything is fuzzy.  The columns are all out of whack.

Any suggestions to correct this?  I can always change my display settings to 100% so I can see the whole display, but then everything else on my laptop is in miniature.

OK, I found a workaround for Windows 10 anyway. Quicken does not respond well to the Win 10 display settings slider bar. Using the bar to scale up to 125% creates a fuzzy oversized display layout compared to R2. But if you set the slider to 100 %, sign-out and then use "Advanced Display Settings" link, "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items", "set a custom scaling level"  to scale to 125%, Quicken looks pretty close to the R2 display appearance in size and quality. You can use the ruler bar in that feature to set scaling in 1% increments to tweak the screen to your preferred size.

Windows warns this could have a negative effect in other areas but I have not seen it yet. Apparently Win 10 has multiple scaling features and the default Settings display slider creates different settings than the custom scaling feature sets. R3 must not be correctly using the recommended slider bar settings to scale itself, but it is pulling the settings from the custom feature to correctly scale up the display.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    Carol I. said:

I am having the blurry view problem also. Windows 10, 1920 X 1080 resolution, new laptop. This just started with the new install of 2017 R3. The blurry resolution is really nauseating, does someone have a fix?!!!!

OK, I found a workaround for Windows 10 anyway. Quicken does not respond well to the Win 10 display settings slider bar. Using the bar to scale up to 125% creates a fuzzy oversized display layout compared to R2. But if you set the slider to 100 %, sign-out and then use "Advanced Display Settings" link, "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items", "set a custom scaling level"  to scale to 125%, Quicken looks pretty close to the R2 display appearance in size and quality. You can use the ruler bar in that feature to set scaling in 1% increments to tweak the screen to your preferred size.

Windows warns this could have a negative effect in other areas but I have not seen it yet. Apparently Win 10 has multiple scaling features and the default Settings display slider creates different settings than the custom scaling feature sets. R3 must not be correctly using the recommended slider bar settings to scale itself, but it is pulling the settings from the custom feature to correctly scale up the display.
  • jwdeignanjwdeignan Member
    edited November 2016
    Glenn F said:

I have the same problem.  I am running the latest version of Windows 10.  When I applied Quicken 2017 R3 everything on the account screens displayed about 1/3 larger.  I called tech support and got the following work-around:

Right click on the shortcut that points to the Quicken qw.exe file select Properties then select Compatibility and check the box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.  Apply this change then restart Quicken.  The account displays should look exactly the way they did in R2.

I emphasized the the tech rep that this is only a work-around and that there must be a permanent software fix for this bug.  Below is a screen image of the Properties Compatibility screen:

• GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited November 2016
    Carol I. said:

The solution of setting "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items" worked for me to make Quicken Premier 2017 R3 look somewhat similar to what I had with R2.

Display configuration:  1920 x 1080.  13" laptop. Intel HD Graphics 515.  With QW R2 I used 150% scaling set with Windows 10 display settings slider bar.  With QW R3 I am using the Advanced Sizing link to set a custom scaling level of 125%.  This seems to be ideal for Quicken on my laptop display, while scaling is high enough for use with other Windows applications and file explorer.  Custom scaling greater than 125% creates fuzzy text on my display.  

Text in the Account List, Investment Registers, Portfolio View is a bit small for my preference but crisp at 125%.  Text in Title bar (File, Edit,...) and checking account registers appears to be about one font size larger and also crisp.  The font in checking account registers can be resized using Edit > Preferences > Register > Font.  The text in the Title bar (and pull down menus) can be resized using the "Change only the text size" in Windows 10 display setting in the same location as the custom scaling level.
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited November 2016
    Glenn F said:

This solution has worked for me too. (Windows 10, Surface Pro 3) 
  • tansgotansgo Member
    edited December 2016
    Glenn F said:

I just discovered this same thing on my own, and it solved a lot of GUI problems I was having. UNCHECK the "Disable display scaling on high dpi settings." If you are like me, you checked this box years ago because previous versions of quicken (at least since 2014) could not properly display in high DPI displays. Uncheck it now with release R3.
  • Pat HPat H Member
    edited November 2016
    Glenn F said:

THANK YOU!!! This solution worked for me, too, but I hope Quicken will fix this issue (and maybe not use such tiny font in the display!) with the next update.
  • csjames1csjames1 Member
    edited November 2016

Seriously, someone screwed up big time. After installing the free update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe, when I start Quicken, I get a pop-up telling me how to change the screen resolution in Windows 7 and Vista. VISTA!!!! Really.

Yep, same here.  Looks very blurry and labels now mysteriously float far away from pie charts.  Not happy w/ this upgrade nor Quicken 2017 for that matter!
  • Glenn FGlenn F Member
    edited November 2016
    Glenn F said:

Thanks!  This worked for me.  Hopefully R4 will contain a permanent fix.
    edited November 2016
    Glenn F said:

That worked for me too, thanks.
  • Andy HornerAndy Horner Member
    edited December 2016
    People, relax, Quicken is not the only software program to have trouble supporting the 125% text size setting. Google Chrome just updated and did the same thing. The work around for that was to add "/high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1" to the shortcut. More information here: https://superuser.com/questions/80360.... Unfortunately, this fix does not work for Quicken. I look forward to a patch for this problem very soon. I have been using Quicken for more than 15 years and have suffered through many of the update bugs along the way. They can be extremely frustrating and time consuming, but geesh, some of you people here need to chill. Quicken is by far the best program available and the baby fits here are ridiculous. If you are one of the ones crying and threatening calls to your bank to cancel credit card charges then you are clueless. Post here for help and to provide Quicken with useful feedback then quit the whining and trolling.
  • edited November 2016

People, relax, Quicken is not the only software program to have trouble supporting the 125% text size setting. Google Chrome just updated and did the same thing. The work around for that was to add "/high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1" to the shortcut. More information here: https://superuser.com/questions/80360.... Unfortunately, this fix does not work for Quicken. I look forward to a patch for this problem very soon. I have been using Quicken for more than 15 years and have suffered through many of the update bugs along the way. They can be extremely frustrating and time consuming, but geesh, some of you people here need to chill. Quicken is by far the best program available and the baby fits here are ridiculous. If you are one of the ones crying and threatening calls to your bank to cancel credit card charges then you are clueless. Post here for help and to provide Quicken with useful feedback then quit the whining and trolling.

I apologize if I said something but from the tone of your voice I gather that you post too much on Reddit.

• Andy HornerAndy Horner Member
    edited December 2016

Actually, I had not even seen your posts on this thread, there were plenty of others. I've never actually posted or read anything on Reddit. I avoid that land of trolls entirely. I contribute to the technical groups like Technet and Spiceworks where people like to work together. I work in the software development field and I know what the folks are Quicken are going through.
  • edited November 2016

I understand your point. I think a lot of people don't even bother searching for similar posts on this site. Some of the questions are like "I can't get into my car. Why don't you unlock it first." They rarely praise the good features and only a few (not me) understands the complexity of Quicken, figuring out the connections with hundreds, maybe thousands of financial institutions. I think you get a lot for your money. I paid $30 for QW2017 Starter Edition and I will probably use it for 3 years. How much is it per month. People blow a lot more on cell phone and other bills. Even if it just prevents one overdraft I broke even. I can check on all of my accounts in a few seconds and have control over my budget who can ask for more. It tells me approximately how much I will have in three (or any) months from now.
  • John AdamsJohn Adams Member
    edited December 2016

This is terrible. My threads got closed about an issue with budgets crashing Quicken 2017 on R2 because R3 got released. I can't update to R3 because Quicken doesn't prompt me to update, and then I find out that R3 breaks Quicken entirely.

I'm also experiencing the visual difficulties after updating to R3 Quicken Premier on Windows 10.  After installing the R3 update fonts are somewhat blurry and all columns in the individual account registers were dramatically sized changed and manually required fixing by dragging the column widths to the appropriate size.  This worked with all registers except the investment account register - that will not respond to manually dragging the description column to make the register less wide therefore enabling viewing on one page, share balance, inv. amount, cash amount and cash balance.  In order to view register on one page it is necessary to click off the accounts tab - an inconvenience that I've not had to do in prior versions of Quicken going back to the early 1990's.  Also peeved about LA2261 on line backup - that I've used forever and worked flawlessly until updating to 2017.  Seems that the only fix here is to cancel one's existing account and opening a new account - thereby losing the financial investment in the prior account. When R3 began to install - was holding my breath that maybe the promised fix was here - but alas, no such luck.
  • WillyHWillyH Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm hoping someone is on the case and Quicken is going to fix this. I just upgraded from QuickenWin 15 primarily because of the new cleaner interface. I've tried about everything and my Win10 looks just great but not so with Quicken. What a disappointment!!
  • edited December 2016

Seriously, someone screwed up big time. After installing the free update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe, when I start Quicken, I get a pop-up telling me how to change the screen resolution in Windows 7 and Vista. VISTA!!!! Really.

Seriously!! The FRUSTRATION of such a bad display change is VERY IRRITATING!!
  • edited December 2016

It's obvious that Quicken engineering and CM screwed up big time on this update release. But, what's really scary is that there appears to be no Quality Control. Given the comments on this thread it is clear that you did not do a thorough job of testing this code before you told all your users to install it. This time it's the GUI. Who knows what vulnerabilities will be in the next release? 

I AGREE!! How do we know what we can count on? I'm ready to completely UN-install and then go back to R2 if I can. We'll see if that helps at all.
    edited December 2016
    WillyH said:

I'm hoping someone is on the case and Quicken is going to fix this. I just upgraded from QuickenWin 15 primarily because of the new cleaner interface. I've tried about everything and my Win10 looks just great but not so with Quicken. What a disappointment!!

Here is a re-post of my reply from 2 weeks ago which seems to have disappeared. The solution corrected the GUI display problem introduced in R3. By the way, my monitor has a resolution of 1920 X 1080 with text sized to 150%:

I have the same problem.  I am running the latest version of Windows 10. 
    When I applied Quicken 2017 R3 everything on the account screens
    displayed about 1/3 larger.  I called tech support and got the following
    work-around:

Right click on the shortcut that points to the Quicken qw.exe file select Properties then select Compatibility and check the box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.  Apply this change then restart Quicken.  The account displays should look exactly the way they did in R2.

I
    emphasized to the tech rep that this is only a work-around and that
    there must be a permanent software fix for this bug.  Below is a screen
    image of the Properties Compatibility screen:

• John AdamsJohn Adams Member
    edited December 2016
    WillyH said:

Thank you! - this worked - I can now see my computer screen clearly - now if they would fix the online backup bug.
    edited January 2017
    WillyH said:

Today I installed Quicken R4 (Build 26.1.4.5) with great hopes that the GUI display issue would finally be solved.  No such luck!!!  In order to see the entire account screen without having to use the scroll bars it it still necessary to check the Compatibility Setting box Disable display scaling in high DPI settings.  It is very disappointing that Intuit should ignore such an important bug.  There is no reason that software tested and certified for Windows 10 should require any compatibility setting.
  • Jonathan CapeJonathan Cape Member
    edited September 2017
    This is just bad development plain and simple - didn't anyone test this before they released the update? None of these work arounds are working - either, the resolution is huge, which is unworkable or so small that it is unreadable and text overlays on top of itself.  Further there seems to be no way to roll this back.
13»