Scottrade account added an old security with the new update

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I bought and downloaded Q2017 back in December and just installed it earlier this week, needing the downloadable transactions features back. Although I've been using Quicken Mac since the first version, this particular file dates back to around 2003, with some accounts a bit older. 

All of the accounts I monitor were in and working with the exception of Ameriprise (which seems to be an Ameriprise issue).

I installed 2 updates this week as well. About 6 hours after installing the most recent update, I noticed my net worth had increased by a large amount and it was due to the balance in my Scottrade account.

Back in 1996 I had bought 10 shares of CPQ (Compaq). HP bought Compaq. Apparently CPQ still exists but not under Compaq anymore and I no longer own it anyway. Quicken thinks I do, so it's recording 10 shares of the "new" CPQ at todays price. 

I need to know how to fix this without messing up my past history. I had always done downloaded transactions and quotes for that account to minimize mistakes.

I also sold some stock in early September, and it downloaded it as 2 separate transactions, one amount is what I ended up with as a check and the second transaction seems to be what I got as a check plus what went into the settlement account. So my cash balance is artificially inflated there too. I do not believe that was there before either.

I am not so invested in this version that I can't go back and do some experimenting with the old one again but I'd prefer to get this fixed correctly.

Thanks

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Try just deleting the placeholder transaction(s) related to CPQ/HP in that account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you don't find any placeholder, you can use the tools available in QM to help track this down. First you want to go to Portfolio view, find the securities, and compare their share totals and price to what you think they should be. Identify any discrepancies.

Next, go to Transactions view and use the search box in the upper right to limit to transactions for the security in question. Now you can see only the transactions for that security all at once and hopefully be able to trace down which transaction(s) are causing the discrepancy. Make sure you have the Amount and Shares (or Cash In/Cash Out and Shares In/Shares Out) columns in view in the register.

Finally, if you need to merge the securities, you can do so with the Merge button in the Securities window.

Best to do all this in a copy of your data file until you get it looking correct.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks, that's very helpful! I'll start playing with backups and see where that gets me. I appreciate your time!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Crazy! I can see where the Sell for Compaq never happened, rather it showed as a deposit into the settlement account. The HP Buy was correct. I changed the deposit to a Sell to get rid of the shares, and it didn't do a thing. Maybe it will change tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.