QWin: If I add an equity in the Investment section, does the system automatically track/update based

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I want to use Quicken as my primary stock portfolio tracker - now that Google Finance is shutting their portfolio feature.

Before buying Quicken, I wanted to find out if Quicken will automatically track-and-update splits-dividends-etc in the Investment section for an older equity that I manually added?

E.g. If I add a purchase of 100 Citibank stocks from Nov 2000, will Quicken automatically add all the splits and dividends that these 100 stocks would have given over the last 17 years? [Google Finance portfolios automatically track-and-update this]

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Quicken will keep track of all your dividends, splits, mergers, etc. It's easiest to capture the history as it occurs, but you can backfill data using QIF import with some work.

I have dividend, split, and merger data for quite a few dividend producing stocks going back to 1999 in my file and in the files I keep for my niece and nephews. I've used both methods to capture this data - adding transactions as they occurred via transaction download or manual entry and by utilizing QIF imports.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

Quicken will keep track of all your dividends, splits, mergers, etc. It's easiest to capture the history as it occurs, but you can backfill data using QIF import with some work.

I have dividend, split, and merger data for quite a few dividend producing stocks going back to 1999 in my file and in the files I keep for my niece and nephews. I've used both methods to capture this data - adding transactions as they occurred via transaction download or manual entry and by utilizing QIF imports.

That's awesome - thanks for the quick reply! This just might work for me.

Do you know if Quicken also supports stock split/dividend/etc tracking from various international exchanges?
  • Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes it will, but you will have to manually input the data from foreign exchanges.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

Assuming you hold the securities in a US brokerage account and that brokerage is one that has Quicken connectivity, you could just download all that transaction and pricing info from the brokerage to Quicken.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

Not quite. If the account holds foreign stocks not traded on US exchanges then those particular holdings will not update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you both @mshiggins and @vetta
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm afraid there may be a misunderstanding. I don't see Quicken filling in the last 17 years of dividends and splits immediately after you enter the original purchase. You will need to supply those transactions, though if you have them in another form you may be able to simplify that process through a QIF file import. Paticularly, the dividends get entered as a total dollar value rather than as a dollars per share amount. I know of no vehicle to recognize that you had x-shares on that date so your total recieved should have been Y-dollars. Further, that would run into problems considering buys and sales during the ex-div dates; which are dates Quicken does not historically track.

Once the data is in, then Quicken will report on it directly.
This discussion has been closed.