Is there a simple way to identify all securities with a zero holding?

Dan Glynhampton
Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using QW2017 Deluxe R15 on Windows 10, and I have a question that I hope one of the investment gurus might be able to help with.

Within my portfolio there are some securities that I have held for a period and then sold, so my holdings are zero, and I'd like to identify them all.  I can find them one at a time if I look at the Holdings pane in the Security Detail View:

That's rather tedious though, having to step one at a time through every security in my file.  I can look in an individual brokerage account and select the Holdings button, then using the gear menu in the top right select "Show Closed Lots", sort the list by "Shares" and all of the zero holdings appear together:

That's quite good, but it has to be done separately in each account, and if a given security has been held in more than one account at some point in the past it appears in each account meaning I have to look out for the duplicates. I also don't quite trust that holdings list, since one security that I'm sure I held in an account and have now sold isn't appearing when I select "Show Closed Lots", and I haven't figured out if that's an error on my part or a possible bug.

What I'm trying to achieve is to get a complete list in one place of all the securities in my file for which the holding is zero.  I don't mind if it's a report or a view on the screen,  I don't mind if it's part of a list of all securities if there's a way of sorting it so that all of the zero holdings appear together.

So far it's defeated me. Does anyone know if it can be done, or am I wasting my time trying?
US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    In Premier or H&B, Investment Tab, Portfolio View, Show Value, Group by Security, Show Closed lots. But I'm not sure that view is available in Deluxe.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

In Premier or H&B, Investment Tab, Portfolio View, Show Value, Group by Security, Show Closed lots. But I'm not sure that view is available in Deluxe.

It is there in Deluxe.  The Deluxe version is missing some investment reports, but the portfolio view works exactly the same way.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

That security that's gone AWOL for you ...
    In the Security List make sure
    - it's a correct Security Type (Stock, Mutual Fund, anything but Market Index)
    - it's not hidden.

In the Portfolio View click the Customize tab, select the Securities tab and "Select all". Sometimes the Portfolio View does not automatically include a new security.

• Dan Glynhampton
    edited October 2017

Excellent, thanks @markus1957, that's just what I needed; no matter how much I use Quicken there are always new things to learn!
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited October 2017
    UKR said:

- it's not hidden.

In the Portfolio View click the Customize tab, select the Securities tab and "Select all". Sometimes the Portfolio View does not automatically include a new security.

Thanks @UKR, I'll check that out tomorrow.  It's late here now and I've probably has just a little too much Verdicchio this evening to go looking for lost securities :-) 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    UKR said:

- it's not hidden.

Nitey night! Sleep tight!
    Don't let the bedbugs bite!

;-)

• Dan Glynhampton
    edited October 2017
    UKR said:

- it's not hidden.

Got it!  It was my mistake, I have two securities with very similar names and I'd accidently entered a transaction against the wrong one.  I've corrected that and all is good now.  Thanks for the help everyone.
This discussion has been closed.