A different Quicken naming convention for Subscription Plans

Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
I actually got this idea from User Bradski in another Thread.
Since Quicken will be utilizing subscription plans starting in 2018, why not term the Quicken Program Name utilizing terms away from a particular year.
Instead of Quicken 2018, why not program the name as such:
1. Quicken Silver = the one-year subscription period.
2. Quicken Gold =  the two-year subscription period.
Just my two-cents worth. (G)
Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
Retired - former Computer System Analyst
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How about makes no sense because ALL Q Canada subscriptions are 1 year and ALL Q US subscriptions (excepting Starter Edition) are 2 years.

Why can't just the existing product names accomplish everything that your plan would accomplish?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    NotACPA, who is to say Quicken will not change its plans in Canada or the USA. Can you particularly reference where you heard the all Quicken USA Plans (excluding Starter Editions) are 2 years? I heard that it is where you buy the Plan that determines the subscription period in the USA.
    Hey, my suggestion was only an idea. 
  • ProGolferProGolfer Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited October 2017

How about makes no sense because ALL Q Canada subscriptions are 1 year and ALL Q US subscriptions (excepting Starter Edition) are 2 years.

Why can't just the existing product names accomplish everything that your plan would accomplish?

I read from Quicken Katherine that Q2018 US versions that are purchased and downloaded from the quicken.com site will be one year subscriptions.

Two year subscriptions will be retail purchased products, such as through Costco or Amazon or Office Depot. 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I don't know that I would choose gold and silver as the adjectives.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins, Ah, would you prefer to keep the four-digit year -  (eg. Quicken 2016, Quicken 2017, etc.)?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Actually, she said Quicken.com will offer both one- and two-year subscriptions.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In my way of thinking, Silver vs Gold implies one being better than the other like Olympic medals, but the real difference is length of time that the subscription is for.
    That means that one year you might buy Gold and then two years later buy Silver.

Having the year attached to it also doesn't make sense since they are not going to have yearly releases, but do them as needed and whether you buy it today or 18 months from now, both will update to the same release and have the same capabilities, the latest.

It is almost like an appropriate name might be Quicken Forever, but that sounds stupid.

I don't have a good suggestion, but I don't think colors are it.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't think the subscription lengths need names at all. Just name the various products Quicken Starter, Quicken Premier, etc without a year in the name. Your subscription is whatever you purchased.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    edited December 2018
    Eureka, I've got the answer and it comes from soft drinks of past:  New Quicken

It was perfect for Coke, it would be a perfect use here.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

I don't think the subscription lengths need names at all. Just name the various products Quicken Starter, Quicken Premier, etc without a year in the name. Your subscription is whatever you purchased.

I agree with Rick.

I think we all agree that the "year" gets dropped.

On the length of the subscription I have never seen a product that labels their product depending the length of the subscription, even though I have had products that offer various different lengths at different discounts.
    This has never been a problem as far as I have seen.

What's more as I understand it you buy it for 1 or 2 years, but then go into automatic renewal.  So your gold probably turns into silver after a couple of years. :-)

And here is my guess.  Quicken has already done this, at least for the running program.  And most likely the box labels will follow in time.  But they probably didn't change it so that people can easily tell it from all the other "year" versions.
    edited May 2018
    splasher, I wasn't thinking of the names as colors but as investment objects having a price per ounce. Gold being of more value than silver in regard to price. I value length of holding to be of greater value - price wise. 
    Just watch, Quicken.Inc. might just name Quicken - (Quicken Forever). (LOL)

RickO, Good suggestion. I thought, however, the name should in a way imply the length of the subscription.
    edited May 2018
    splasher, Ah, New Quicken! Love it!!

QPW, Wise cometary, as always. I thought that maybe the names should remind the buyer what subscription one is on. As we become older, we tend to lose most thought patterns. (G)
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:

Don't know if that is tongue-in-cheek but recall that New Coke failed miserably, at least in name.  :-o

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:

It was very much "tongue-in-cheek".  :-)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How about this:  :-)

Quicken Free*

*With the purchase of a subscription.
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:

Funny, that's exactly what happened to me when I tried the New Coke! :-)
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

How about this:  :-)

Quicken Free*

*With the purchase of a subscription.

LOL...there are so many layers or angles to that one!

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• BKBK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    One of the issues we are and we will face is when someone posts an inquiry in these forums, there needs to be a clear way to determine exactly what release they are on.  Today half of the posts are unclear in the initial description until asked to provide more info (are you Win or Mac?).  Take the scenario when someone decides not to accept an update.  Then he must say I have this issue and I am on NEW_Quicken_v12.3.6.1 for example.  It will take all of us some thinking or investigating to ascertain which release that is exactly.

So wouldn't it be easier if all updates/releases would have a meaningful version number?  Such as I am on v2019-03-21.  That would be self-explanatory.  Further it would be great if that version number is displayed at the very very top bar where today it says "Quicken 2016 Premier" and in the future it will say "Quicken Premier QW.US.2019.03.21" and it get updated accordingly.  I say at the top bar so that no one needs to go thru multiple clicks to determine the version – just display it in the label!

IMHO, such nomenclature clearly indicates what and when it is without people having to ask: It is premier, US, Windows, release of march 21 2019 in my example.

And the response to this persons problem description would be:  "Hey dude, this got fixed in 2019.05.11 – please perform an update".
    edited October 2017
    BK said:

One of the issues we are and we will face is when someone posts an inquiry in these forums, there needs to be a clear way to determine exactly what release they are on.  Today half of the posts are unclear in the initial description until asked to provide more info (are you Win or Mac?).  Take the scenario when someone decides not to accept an update.  Then he must say I have this issue and I am on NEW_Quicken_v12.3.6.1 for example.  It will take all of us some thinking or investigating to ascertain which release that is exactly.

So wouldn't it be easier if all updates/releases would have a meaningful version number?  Such as I am on v2019-03-21.  That would be self-explanatory.  Further it would be great if that version number is displayed at the very very top bar where today it says "Quicken 2016 Premier" and in the future it will say "Quicken Premier QW.US.2019.03.21" and it get updated accordingly.  I say at the top bar so that no one needs to go thru multiple clicks to determine the version – just display it in the label!

IMHO, such nomenclature clearly indicates what and when it is without people having to ask: It is premier, US, Windows, release of march 21 2019 in my example.

And the response to this persons problem description would be:  "Hey dude, this got fixed in 2019.05.11 – please perform an update".

The most asked question on this forum is: "Which version of Quicken and Operating System?"  It has been as long as I have been involved (Fall, 2010).  Sad thing is sometimes it has to be asked multiple times to get a proper answer.

There is already a perfectly good release number in the form of x.x.x.x for the Windows versions and x.x.x for the Mac versions, so there is no reason to come up with something new.

The idea of displaying the release # in the upper left window border (at least for Window, I don't know what shows on the Mac) is a GREAT idea.

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:

New Coke, blah, ugh awful!!  Reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon where the caveman is at the soda stand (all made of rock) and demands "Me no want the new stuff, me want Jurassic Coke."

edited October 2017
    BK said:

Would be nice if when posting, GetSat would lead you to enter the OS and version. Unfortunately, we've been told it's not possible to implement this in GetSat. In the old forum, we were able to at least see what OS the user was posting from. Not anymore.
  • BKBK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    BK said:

When I wrote my post above, I was also toying with the idea of also displaying the OS info after the Quicken release info.  I have actually seen that in some products.  Then realized it might slow down the Quicken startup if it is going to be displayed at the very top border.  But to add to RickO's, why not implementing few *REQUIRED* fields in GetSatisfaction before the initial post can be submitted such as US/Can, Win/Mac, OS Ver, Quicken Ver. etc. whatever makes sense.  I am sure they have thought of this and decided not to pursue it for some reasons since some of this is actually already there in GetSat, but not required.
    edited October 2017
    BK said:

GetSat is a third party software that has many customers over which Quicken has limited influence. They may only submit enhancement requests (if they have the desire for this features) but it is GetSat that has to prioritize these features and decide if it meets their overall design...This feature has been requested multiple times. :-\

edited October 2017
    BK said:

In the previous iteration of the forum (home grown by Intuit), they tried to ask the Q version and OS and users skipped right past them and then would post a question with no information and expect an answer immediately.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    BK said:

Actually at one point the old QLC did force at least the OS and picking of the "year" of Quicken.  I don't remember if they force the version.  But I think I remember they backed off on that...

But let's say even when it was in Intuit's control there was plenty of times where what the SuperUser would have liked got canceled out by what Intuit's marketing/developers/other products wanted.

The QLC software they wrote was used by all the products including Mint and it seemed that those requirement conflicted with what they wanted.

For instance the ability to browse instead of "search".  When you have an excellent search system it is "pretty good", but nothing beats "browse tree of categories".

One of the main separations that is really needed no matter how much Quicken Inc thinks it shouldn't be is Mac vs Windows.

Sure the long time user on here can do things in their searches and such to separate them, but that isn't really the point.  The main reason such a separation is needed is because the one time user will be able to get to where they need to much faster and post in the right place much more often.
    edited May 2018
    WOW! I just returned from an afternoon trip. I did not expect this Thread to populate so much and so rapidly. Thanks, folks for your input and discussion!!

I am changing my Quicken Naming Convention to a two-liner. I like RickO's original response in just to name the various products their original functional names like "Quicken Deluxe", "Quicken Premier", etc. Then I am adding a second line depicting the subscription like "1-Year Subscription". So The Main Headers on the top of the Box (retail stores) or Box Images (online download sites) would show for my future Product.
                               QUICKEN PREMIER
                               (2-Year Subscription)
    One has to remember that this is a marketing tool to particularly draw the attention of novices and new people. So detail information should be shown elsewhere away from the Main Headers on the image. Also remember that the Program for both Windows and Mac will be included in the same package; (which should also be noted on the Image).

Just adding an additional flavor on the Topic. (LOL) Again, thank you all for contributing. Maybe the Quicken Team will find this inspirational. (G)rin.
    edited October 2017
    BK said:

And a separation for Mobile!