Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we released Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2.  The key features are:
  • Bill Presentment: Automatically link online bills to see the current due date and amount due.
  • Customizable investment portfolio view with performance (IRR) tracking.
  • Explicit lot assignment.
  • Improved support for Single Mutual Fund (SMF) and 401k/403b accounts.
  • Loan What If Analysis.
  • Multiple currency and conversion on sidebar and transfers.
Quicken is now also a subscription product like Adobe Creative Suite and other software products. Quicken was sort of a subscription before since there was a 3 year limit on the connected services. I realize this is a big change for some so please discuss this in all the other forum posts about this topic but let's try to keep this post focused on bugs and issues in the new product. This will allow us to spot and address problems quicker.

Under-the-hood the product is also very different.  We're leveraging a brand new reporting engine that was designed to support lots of different types of reports.  We're using this already in the existing Summary, Comparison and Transaction reports in addition to the new native portfolio view.  The hope is that we should be able to accelerate the creation of new reports.

Anyway, please post any issues that you run into here in this forum so we can spot and investigate them quickly.

Updates
10/23 - Some are reporting a crash on launch.  This is caused by having an Add Shares without a security.  We're working on a fix for 5.2 but if you're in this position go back to your 2017 app and sort investments by Security/Payee and find blanks with a type of Add Shares.  You can probably delete this transaction since it doesn't mean anything.  Or if it does, then you should fill in a security.  Make these changes in your 2017 file before trying to use the same file in 5.2.

10/23 - Released 5.2.1 which fixes 2 crashes. 1) There was a crash that would occur on launch if the customer had an Add Share transaction without any security. 2) This crash would occur if the customer had a scheduled transaction with a transfer that auto-matched with a transaction that had multiple splits.

Comments

• Matthew Phelps
    Matthew Phelps Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

So far, Amazon is only selling the CD version.
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    how does the dropbox backup work? image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Have you reviewed the source code to know they're not using those? 
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Canadian here. I can order and download QM2018 Deluxe (Bill Pay is not for Canadian after all) by using a fake USA zip code.
    Installed, login with existing ID, open a QM2017 file. So far so good.
    I changed my account's address back to Canadian address after got the confirm email.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    zwzlife said:

Canadian here. I can order and download QM2018 Deluxe (Bill Pay is not for Canadian after all) by using a fake USA zip code.
    I changed my account's address back to Canadian address after got the confirm email.

Won't the US version, however, prohibit you from connecting to Canadian banks?
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    zwzlife said:

No issue found with my banks, same as QM2017. 
    CIBC - Web Download
    PC Financial - Web Download
    CIBC Investors Edge - Manually
    Tangerine - Quicken Connect
    TD - Web Download
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017

I don't know for sure, but I doubt you will need to actually use the CD. There will probably be a download link and a subscription code in the box.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Bobalaska
    Bobalaska Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I am interested upgrading from Quicken 2015 to buying 2 year subscription to Quicken 2018 Deluxe
    Mac. I understand I can only do this from retailer, not on Quicken
    website.

Questions: 1. Is that correct?

2. Licensing: Quicken website
    says that at least prior versions of Quicken can be installed on up to three computers in the same
    household. So if I buy a 2 year subscription, install onto my
    computer, and then want to install on a second computer- mainly for my
    wife's Quicken account, does it work the same way- use my Quicken ID for installation on my computer to access my data file, and then use her ID on her computer, etc?  Is only difference the subscription vs former paid upgrade models?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Bobalaska said:

I am interested upgrading from Quicken 2015 to buying 2 year subscription to Quicken 2018 Deluxe
    website.

says that at least prior versions of Quicken can be installed on up to three computers in the same
    wife's Quicken account, does it work the same way- use my Quicken ID for installation on my computer to access my data file, and then use her ID on her computer, etc?  Is only difference the subscription vs former paid upgrade models?

1 Yes.  Two year subscriptions are only available from retailers.  Right now, I've seen Amazon sell a CD version (27 months, actually) and Office Depot and Staples offering download versions.

2 No.  You'll need to use the SAME Quicken ID on all computers.  The Quicken ID is tied to your product registration number.  But you can still have different Quicken data files associated with the same Quicken ID.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Is there a way to have non-cleared transactions show as bold?
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Bobalaska said:

website.

See this thread (post from Kathryn) for more info:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/since-office-depot-has-already-spilled-the-beans...
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Eric said:

Marcus asked to keep this thread to bugs and release issue. Please post this as a new question.

Answer for QM2017: No, but there's an uncleared filter. I doubt it's changed.
  • Bobalaska
    Bobalaska Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

This may be quibbling, but not sure it's a lower cost per year price exactly, as Quicken says 2 years will cost $79.99 (vs. 1 year for $49.99, or $30 for the second year).  Amazon gives an extra 3 months for $10 more; to be the same price it seems it would have to be at least 4 months.  However, they give 15GB Dropbox vs 5, plus free access to priority customer service (A "Premier" version feature only).  And that certainly might be worth the "difference," if any.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017

Quicken Deluxe 2018 is $64.99 for a two year subscription at Staples and Office Depot.  

That's the better deal.  
  • Bobalaska
    Bobalaska Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bobalaska said:

website.

Thanks for the quick response.  So if I understand correctly I use my Quicken ID on both my computer for my data file, and my Quicken ID on my wife's computer to access her data file.  So one subscription, 2 computers, and 2 data files will migrate to the new version (from 2015).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017

Quicken Premier 2018 is $99.99 for a two year subscription at Staples and Office Depot.

Quicken Premier 2018 is $129.99 for a 27 month subscription and 15 GB Dropbox storage on Amazon.

Quicken Premier 2018 is $74.99 for a one year subscription via quicken.com

$99.99 is still the better deal.  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Eric said:

Agree probably has not changed
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Bobalaska said:

website.

Yes, that's correct.  Your subscription (purchase) is tied to your Quicken ID.  You can download Quicken onto three PC's (Windows and/or Mac).  You can use unlimited number of data files using one Quicken ID.  
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Bobalaska said:

website.

Yes. In the thread I referenced, a couple posts down from Kathryn, ProGolfer explained how to change the Quicken ID for your wife's file.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

Did you order online via Quicken or an online retailer or did you buy in a retail store?  If you ordered online via Quicken, you shouldn't need an activation code unless something went wrong.  If you bought online but via an online retailer like Staples, then you should be getting one via email.  Are you still waiting for the email?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017

In the box there's a card with the activation code and a URL to download the software so you won't need to have a CD drive.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

That's a great question.  I don't know the answer to that.  I'll have to test it tomorrow.  I think Quicken Windows stores different values on both sides of the linked transfer and they don't  keep an exchange rate between the 2 sides.  However, the mac requires that both sides of the Transfer have the same value so I'm not quite sure what the Mac does when it gets 2 different values.  My guess is that we break the transfer and treat them as 2 different transactions but I'm not sure.  If the Mac did this, would this be OK or do you require them to remain linked?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    brucel said:

That code is the same as in 2017 so it shouldn't be performing differently but it's an interesting data point that you are seeing a difference.  Please let us know if you observe other things regarding the beach ball.  The only thing we're doing on the main thread is writing to the database which shouldn't take that long but clearly it's happening so we'll need to investigate it more.  Thanks for reporting it and let us know if it continues and doesn't go away.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    bigevil said:

how does the dropbox backup work? image

You just change the file location for where you save your files and switch it to save to your Dropbox account/folder.  What we're giving you is a little extra Dropbox storage than what you'd get with a free account so it's just regular dropbox but with more space.
This discussion has been closed.