Quicken subscription you get all the old bugs at a new price

2»

Comments

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Nordin Ka "gets it".  "One should be able to feel the frustration of person who purchase with hope and lastly found it's not as what he/she expected
    Give room for the comment as a way of delivering the feel, and if need to, object with respect."

The only way to get Quicken to sit up and take notice is hit them in the pocketbook.   The intent of my post was to 1) let it be know that I was hoping for the best but was once again disappointed and frustrated. 2) Warn those thinking that this version was going to be an incremental improvement to previous versions that it is not.

It is not that there is no excuse that I would accept, there is no excuse that anyone should accept.  I have participated in the Beta testing etc. and I just really hoped that this year would be different.  To charge more money for the same program, bugs and all,  is something the no on should stand for.  Now if they would provide a list of know issues that one could see before purchasing that would be nice but we all know why that will never happen and that is because the list would be very long and then nobody would buy it.  The message I want to convey is DO NOT BUY QUICKEN 2018, hit them in the pocketbook,  until some real progress is make in addressing these basic issues.  I sure there are "pet peeves" everyone has.

I only want a quality program free from these basic usability issues several of which are basic windows functions.  (Alt-Tab, click through)  If asked my opinion of whether to buy or not,  my answer at this point would be NO.  As the quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail goes... RUN AWAY!!!  ;-)

And how exactly did I do that??
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Nordin Ka "gets it".  "One should be able to feel the frustration of person who purchase with hope and lastly found it's not as what he/she expected
    Give room for the comment as a way of delivering the feel, and if need to, object with respect."

The only way to get Quicken to sit up and take notice is hit them in the pocketbook.   The intent of my post was to 1) let it be know that I was hoping for the best but was once again disappointed and frustrated. 2) Warn those thinking that this version was going to be an incremental improvement to previous versions that it is not.

It is not that there is no excuse that I would accept, there is no excuse that anyone should accept.  I have participated in the Beta testing etc. and I just really hoped that this year would be different.  To charge more money for the same program, bugs and all,  is something the no on should stand for.  Now if they would provide a list of know issues that one could see before purchasing that would be nice but we all know why that will never happen and that is because the list would be very long and then nobody would buy it.  The message I want to convey is DO NOT BUY QUICKEN 2018, hit them in the pocketbook,  until some real progress is make in addressing these basic issues.  I sure there are "pet peeves" everyone has.

I only want a quality program free from these basic usability issues several of which are basic windows functions.  (Alt-Tab, click through)  If asked my opinion of whether to buy or not,  my answer at this point would be NO.  As the quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail goes... RUN AWAY!!!  ;-)

I don't think you did, just making sure the point that one can express frustration without being rude, disrespectful, or abusive.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

The only way to get Quicken to sit up and take notice is hit them in the pocketbook.
    I agree, but have you actually done that?

Personally I think the complaints here have very little impact on who is going to buy or not buy Quicken.

What's more Quicken Inc has to "connect the two".

People have been giving Quicken extremely negative comments for as long as I can remember.  At this point I think they have developed very tough skins.
    And they need them.  I have heard from a Quicken employee that what we see here is nothing, even the people that got banned is nothing.  Quicken support actually received death threats!  And of course cussing and all the other rude behavior that people are known for.

I have seen at times where a long thread has brought results, and even some rants, but I really wouldn't say it is a "magic cure".  I don't think it really gets any more results than just stating the problem as clearly as possible.

But how does Quicken Inc (and Intuit before them) actually connect your post to the sales?

People that come here and say "unacceptable", "no excuses", ... turn around and buy Quicken.  Very few of them actually stop using it.  And some even admit that there isn't anything better out there.

And I have watched people come in here and for 3/4 of their post talk about how the new features and useless and that Quicken Inc (or Intuit) should fix bugs instead.
    And then at the end of that post they put in the feature(s) that they want.

Almost without exception I have seen every "useless new feature" suggested by one or more people here or in the beta.

The truth is people buy features.  They just expect fixes to come for free.

markus1957, talked about how he hasn't seen a shift in the priorities of Quicken Inc over Intuit or because of going to a subscription.

I have seen what I would call some shift in that.  But frankly it hasn't always turned out very good.  For instance the number of patches has gone way up.  But with every release there is the danger of install problems for "someone".

Most of the extra patches are certainly the Intuit Id to Quicken Id, but I also saw them releasing patches to fix bugs in past versions of Quicken.  Intuit never did that.  Once April rolled around you weren't going to see another patch.

And I have seen some changes like where Intuit would never reconsider removing the GUI block from importing QIF files, and now they say they will do it.

And certainly on the Mac side it is like night and day.

But overall any major shifts on the Windows side?
    No, and frankly I believe that people are living in a fantasy world if they really think that there would be major shifts.

First off I'm not sure that a major shift would actually be better.  I certainly wouldn't have used Snowman's priority and put GUI functions ahead of getting shifted over from Intuit to Quicken servers.

I personally think that Quicken Inc/Widows is in "firefighting mode" most of the time.
    I think they have made some really bad choices in the past and they are constantly dealing with those problems.

A lot of long standing "focus" problems are still in Quicken just like I predicted they would be when the surfaced in their change over from .Net 2.0 to .Net 4.x.  They are still play wack the mole.

I (mind you without seeing the code, so I can certainly be wrong) believe that at that time Quicken started behaving like two different programs, and the reason they didn't really fix that, is because the change went to the core of Quicken.  And that means it would have taken a long time to fix.

The Quicken management/developers/the whole system certainly is geared to "if the real fix is going to take a long time, and there is a way to cover it up, use the cover up, and get on with the next thing on your list.".

There is also the attitude that "we don't have to follow the standards we are better than that".  For instance the "Click through" problem.  Why does it exist?

It certainly doesn't exist in the real system menu, you know the one that gets turned on when you select: Help -> Enable Accessibility.

A lot of work goes into building the core widgets to ensure that the events are sent to the right place.  If I use the standard menus I don't have to worry about a "click through" problem because I'm not the one writing code to route the even to the right place.  The events just show up in the right widgets.

If I instead write my own menu, I have to take steps to make sure that the events go to the right places.  Clearly whoever wrote the code for the menus they are using didn't do that.  Note that might even be a third party that sold them the tool kit.

This attitude is also in the "global search" at the top of Quicken.  That is the system title bar it isn't suppose to be used by the program.  OK yeah Microsoft uses that space, right?  Well Microsoft is usually the first ones to violate the rules they set out.  And they can get away with it because they have other teams that can rewrite low level GUI code and such.

You want to know the source of a lot of "resize" problems in Quicken 2017.  Like "slow", "jittery", ...  Well that and the other buttons are the cause.  There isn't a standard title bar that will allow those controls to be there.  So Quicken developers are in fact putting a "fake" bar on top of the real one.  Just like they put a fake system menu on top of the real one.

And the "focus" problems I could go into and I have in the past, but I will spare everyone the details.  Needles to say Windows focus rules are complicated, and you have to be very careful of how you force the focus to a given control because that might disturb the natural flow of where Windows thinks the focus should be.

And if I haven't made it clear.  On of the reasons some of these "trivial bugs" haven't been fixed for months has to be that they are in fact not "trivial".  What might look trivial to the user can be extremely complicated in practice.
  • Rodney AtkinsRodney Atkins Member
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

A subscription doesn't change a product, just the way it is paid for.
    Why people seem to expect something different just because it is a subscription is beyond me.

In fact Quicken has been on a subscription for 20 years.  Its term was 3 years.

The above bugs are not new, and there IS NO EXCUSE for why they are still there.
    There are plenty of excuses.

If you haven't notice Quicken Inc has been working getting the Intuit Id to Quicken Id done.
    That is a total of 9 different product versions, and in some cases releasing multiple times to fix big problems in them.

And on top of that putting in "something new" (online bill redo/PDF downloading, report fonts, ...)

Besides that there are certainly a lot more lingering bugs than you have mentioned.
    If all you have is one bug and it is possible to fix it and you don't, that is one thing.
    When you have tons of things people want done, well then it is a matter of priorities, and Quicken Inc's priorities are certainly not going to line up with every user's.  To a user the bug that is affect them is number one, and all others meaningless.

I know the "no excuse" people that believe that if there is any bugs you shouldn't release.
    Well the truth is that if that was the criteria, no software would be released.  Certainly not Quicken.

So I think the real criteria Quicken Inc is using is more like "as functional or better than the existing version".   Or maybe "It has to work (even that work is with 'workarounds') 99% of the users."

BTW if you think 99% is to high of a rating, that means that 1 in 100 can't use it, and there is supposedly millions using it.  You do the math.  I actually think the users that can use (with workaround) is much higher.

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.I think you're missing the point that the cost to users for the same product will be 300% of the prior cost. Before, you could buy a version and use it for three years for cost $X. The new subscriptions are priced about the same as the older versions, but now you pay 3 x $X.

I personally would prefer that they stop adding new features and just make the ones that are there work correctly. 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Why people seem to expect something different just because it is a subscription is beyond me.

The above bugs are not new, and there IS NO EXCUSE for why they are still there.

If you haven't notice Quicken Inc has been working getting the Intuit Id to Quicken Id done.
    That is a total of 9 different product versions, and in some cases releasing multiple times to fix big problems in them.

And on top of that putting in "something new" (online bill redo/PDF downloading, report fonts, ...)

Besides that there are certainly a lot more lingering bugs than you have mentioned.
    If all you have is one bug and it is possible to fix it and you don't, that is one thing.
    When you have tons of things people want done, well then it is a matter of priorities, and Quicken Inc's priorities are certainly not going to line up with every user's.  To a user the bug that is affect them is number one, and all others meaningless.

I know the "no excuse" people that believe that if there is any bugs you shouldn't release.
    Well the truth is that if that was the criteria, no software would be released.  Certainly not Quicken.

So I think the real criteria Quicken Inc is using is more like "as functional or better than the existing version".   Or maybe "It has to work (even that work is with 'workarounds') 99% of the users."

BTW if you think 99% is to high of a rating, that means that 1 in 100 can't use it, and there is supposedly millions using it.  You do the math.  I actually think the users that can use (with workaround) is much higher.

Rodney Atkins the cost in the past is dependent on how often you bought it.  I would say most people didn't wait 3 years to buy Quicken.  And frankly the ones that did were getting an extreme bargain.  And I believe that kind of bargain is gone.  If that is all that is motivating people to buy Quicken, then I guess they will now switch off of it.  But I doubt it.

People can "want more because I'm paying more", but I personally think that if that comes, it will be in time, and incrementally implemented.  It isn't going to show up overnight just because they have switched to a subscription or because the price has changed.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Yes when my free trial is just about up I will return it for my money back.  I will then wait until 2020 when my 2017 program will sunset at which point if nothing is done I will just go on entering everything manually. 

If I had any stake in the company that bought Quicken I would sell it immediately and tell them why.  In the end it may not mean much.

What you have said is sad (the threats on Quicken employees etc.) and frustrating that the program is not really any better than it was 5 years ago and many of your well thought out reasons why this has happened.  Everyone can go on kicking the can down the road saying "we will fix that next year" but next year never comes and soon the employees of Quicken may be out of a job and wondering what happened.

edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.
    I would say most people didn't wait 3 years to buy Quicken.
    So that's an opinion. On the basis of what I read here, and for years in the reviews on Amazon, I would say most people do wait 3 years. So we have duelling anecdotes.

As I said, I'd prefer they just fix the bugs. I don't want to pay to be a beta tester any more than I'm paying to provide that service now.
    the ones that did were getting an extreme bargain
    Wow. Ok, if you say so. I strongly—no, vehemently disagree with that statement. But you seem to be a Quicken apologist, so I guess it's to be expected.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.Last year you could buy Quicken Deluxe 2017 at times at Amazon for $40 or less.  So if I bought it every 3 years that would be 40 / 36 = $1.11 a month for a program that I have found to be one of the most "essential".

If that isn't an extreme bargain than I don't know what one is.
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.Low cost does not a bargain make. I wouldn't want to pay $1.11/month for a bag of dog poop.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.I wouldn't either, but first off I certainly have a different opinion of it, and second if I did think the way you say you do I would have just dropped Quicken long ago and found something else.

I don't see anyone forcing you to buy Quicken.  If you think it is so bad find something else that makes you happy.

If you can't then, maybe you should reconsider your opinion because that would clearly make Quicken "the best".

But in any case I'm done here.  People like you just like to complain, and really there isn't any benefit in talking to you.
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.People like me, eh? I'm not saying that Quicken is a bag of dog poop. It has been frustrating to use over the years, but as you say, there have been few alternatives, so the idea of paying more to be frustrated is... disagreeable. OK, I'm done complaining.
  • RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Snowman .....  I for one am very tired of your rants here.  Suggest you get something to do to keep yourself occupied versus coming here and ranting/whining.
  • NordinKaNordinKa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

There are a lot of hope with Quicken. For every bugs they fixed, it will re-introduced in the next fixes/patch.

We all have seen this happen and happen, like a ball rolling never stop.

The only reason people don't stop using Quicken and switch to other program, IMO, is there is no other better products out there. After Microsoft sunsetting the Money, me myself trying to find the Quicken competitor but found no one that can replace it. I use Quicken daily for my business and rental property.

Quicken is so useful in our life. I learn to admit kindheartedly, that any bugs existed in Quicken, I try to use with it. I complaint and asked sometimes, but as you all know, we are all here just users. For the time being, as long as it does not corrupt my 10 years manually keyed-in data, it still ok.

So, if you find any bugs, just let everybody here know so that we will together learn the alternative to overcome the issue and for someone to make decision either to upgrade or not.
  • edited September 2018
    Actually something very important has changed which should not go unnoticed - after upgrading to 2018 if you stop paying your dues you can no longer make manual entries. This is a no go for me.
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Actually something very important has changed which should not go unnoticed - after upgrading to 2018 if you stop paying your dues you can no longer make manual entries. This is a no go for me.

Unless you use the Starter Edition that is incorrect.

See the Data Access Guarantee.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2020 R23.14 on Windows 10 Pro v1903
  • DBDB Member
    edited October 2017
    DB said:

@Snowman, or anyone, please explain these bugs:

Alt-Tab bug still present,
    click through bug still present,
    print checks dialog bugs still present,
    save reports bug still present,
    the drop down menu bug still present and 
    you will lose your printer preferences and will have to redo those as well.

I have not had any issues since I installed the newest release (Windows Premier) yesterday.  Its disconcerting to hear super users complain about the new release.

Thanks!

@Snowman - thank you for explaining these bugs.  The only one I have experienced is #4, which I never considered a bug.  I thought it was a safeguard to keep you from saving over a report accidently.  It's not that hard to remove the "1" when you resave the report.  

As for the other issues:

1.  I noticed this too, but I don't think it's a big deal.  There are other ways in Windows to move between open windows or open applications.  It seems like for me, the issue has been resolved in this latest release.  At least, it doesn't seem to be happening now.

2.  I use the Backup feature continually, but never experience this.  I always use "Alt B" to back up, and rarely use the file menus.

3.  I Don't print checks from Quicken, so never had this issue.  I only write about 12 check a year.

5.  Never experienced this.  I tried doing what you said to recreate this issue and I can't.

6.  I suspect there were programming changes that necessitated a "clean start".  At least it's working now, and doesn't seem to be an ongoing issue.

I am not trying to minimize your concerns, but these issues don't seem to major.  Every user seems to have a different experience depending on what version they are using, and how they use the program.  I thought the best version of Quicken (for me) so far was QW2017.  It ran smother, quicker, and I had very few connection issues, and so far the new release of Quicken is working great.
  • DBDB Member
    edited October 2017

It seems like the subscription will be renewed annually at different times for people depending on when they first installed the program.  Going forward, there will only be one version of Quicken, but different subscription years.  This means that for the end user, Quicken will run "seamlessly" from year to year until the subscription is cancelled.  Updates will be made when needed and doesn't depend on subscription year.  If the subscription is cancelled, when the end of the "cancelled" subscription year comes around, the user will have a choice of renewing or not.  If not, automatic downloads will not work any longer, but the program will continue to work.  It seems that other software vendors are also going to the "annual subscription with automatic renewal" method.  Not sure why people are getting upset about this.  To me, it's a "win-win".
    edited October 2017

I think what you say is correct, but you may find there’s still an annual "release" of Quicken so that marketing have something to push. Adobe do that with Photoshop which has been on a subscription for some years now, but there have still been annual updates ("Photoshop CC 2017” for example) although in reality they are just one of a number of releases that occur through the year.
  • DBDB Member
    edited October 2017

Thanks for the clarification.  But either way, I don't see a problem, especially for those that upgraded every year in the past.  For those that didn't I can see how they feel that they are getting a raw deal, because in the past, they could get by with only purchasing a new release every 3 years, or so.  I think Quicken is doing a great job, and has a great product, so for me the annual subscription price is still a bargain.
    edited October 2017

I don’t see it as a problem either, and I have no idea what Quicken plan to do, or even if they have a plan yet.

However, users, retailers and Quicken Inc. are used to a new release around October every year, and there’s likely quite an uptick in sales then which they would like to maintain as much as possible into the future.