Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

It's not that i object to this request, but it's hard for me to understand all this moaning and groaning. I keep fastidiously accurate records with my Quicken and have been doing so for about 20 years. I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. I have never had a single problem in having the downloaded transactions match up. If there are minor discrepancies in categorization they are easy to see and correct. I just do not see how this aspect could be a deal breaker.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. The time I waist undoing non matched transactions or missed category is very troubling especially at reconciliation time. My. Monthly CC statement has a hundred or so transactions and one or two duplicate, because their separated by date usually require a manual item by item reconciliation. The best example is when I have a scheduled transaction and QM downloaded the same transaction you can't drag and drop it you have to delete it then clear the scheduled transaction. This happens to often.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)

Until (and if) a separated workflow is created:

1) Make sure the Status column is being shown (menu View > Columns > Status). In that column you will see symbols indicating the download status. Orange pencil for manually entered, blue pencil for automatically matched, and blue dot for downloaded but not matched. You may also want to turn on the Match Status column for even more clarity.

2) If you see blue dot (unmatched) transactions that should have matched to an orange pencil (manually entered) transaction but did not, drag and drop the blue dot transaction on top of the orange pencil transaction. That will cause them to be manually matched. Keep doing this and Quicken will learn from it and automatic matching will improve.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Scott said:

The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)

Thanks for the tip. It is still a work around for what should be a simple task of manually matching down loaded transactions before they are entered into the register
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

It's not that i object to this request, but it's hard for me to understand all this moaning and groaning. I keep fastidiously accurate records with my Quicken and have been doing so for about 20 years. I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. I have never had a single problem in having the downloaded transactions match up. If there are minor discrepancies in categorization they are easy to see and correct. I just do not see how this aspect could be a deal breaker.

BTW, the following post highlights another example of why this workflow feature is needed.  The rules for flagging matched and unmatched transactions, manual vs downloaded transactions, etc. are frequently being adjusted such that they may not meet a user's expectations or use case. So relying on Quicken's interpretation on how to flag transactions does not meet everyone's needs.

By having this workflow implemented that many users of QWin and ALL users of QM2007 are accustomed to, they do not have to depend on such interpretations...what is downloaded, matched and unmatched, is plain to see because it is in a separate window for a user to manage as they see fit...no one has to interpret the flagging needs of the user if they choose to use this workflow (which, as a reminder, QWin users have the benefit of that choice).

Food for thought.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Smayer97 - Yep! :-/
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Upon review of some comments made by Quicken Marcus ("...the Mac has never had the comparative register... "), I just want to add for the record that it is NOT true that Quicken for Mac has never had this feature.

Since he only came on board starting with the development of Quicken 2015 for Mac onward, I can partly understand his statement, though this suggests there is a lack of knowledge of what QM2007 actually does, which dismays me (I would hope he would get to know that product better so as to understand what many Mac users are wanting).

As per the reason for this IDEA thread and the opening statement, this feature does exist in Quicken 2007 for Mac, and has existed there for a very long time. And as the number of votes clearly demonstrates, many users really want this (currently the 5th top requested feature out of hundreds; though the combined votes for full-featured customizable reports and features would bump that down a little). One (hopefully) obvious reason is that it provides far more control over and easier visibility to data flowing into Quicken, especially with large volumes of data and/or accounts.

All that said, the good news is that in the same post, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged seeking to add this as a feature in the future. 

SMayer, indeed this feature was in QM2007, and I used it frequently. The reason I joined in this discussion a few months ago was because I had recently upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard to Sierra, so I had to give up QM2007 for QM2017. That's when I discovered that I had lost the ability to view the transactions that Quicken had received from my bank.

I now often log in to my bank's website before I update Quicken, so that I can verify which transactions will be coming over. That's not too much of a hassle for me because I only use Quicken for two accounts at one bank, but it would be untenable for people who integrate many accounts from multiple institutions into QM2017.

I hope that "Quicken Marcus" will push this feature as a valuable addition to an upcoming release of QM2017.
  • RickO
    edited September 2017

Upon review of some comments made by Quicken Marcus ("...the Mac has never had the comparative register... "), I just want to add for the record that it is NOT true that Quicken for Mac has never had this feature.

Since he only came on board starting with the development of Quicken 2015 for Mac onward, I can partly understand his statement, though this suggests there is a lack of knowledge of what QM2007 actually does, which dismays me (I would hope he would get to know that product better so as to understand what many Mac users are wanting).

As per the reason for this IDEA thread and the opening statement, this feature does exist in Quicken 2007 for Mac, and has existed there for a very long time. And as the number of votes clearly demonstrates, many users really want this (currently the 5th top requested feature out of hundreds; though the combined votes for full-featured customizable reports and features would bump that down a little). One (hopefully) obvious reason is that it provides far more control over and easier visibility to data flowing into Quicken, especially with large volumes of data and/or accounts.

All that said, the good news is that in the same post, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged seeking to add this as a feature in the future. 

patty1...

Two things:

1) QM2007 still runs on Sierra, so you could still be running it. No word yet if it will run okay on High Sierra.

2) There is a workflow that for a small number of accounts will work fine without having to go to the website. Turn on the Status and Match Status columns in the register. Then download. To view the transactions that were received, scan the status column for blue symbols (pencil for matched and dot for downloaded but not matched). You can also invoke the Status:Last Downloaded filter to see just the newly downloaded transactions. Click on each blue symbol and Mark Reviewed to make it disappear so you'll know you've looked at the transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Rick, hmmm, I must have had QM2006, then. I know it needed Rosetta. I'll try the steps you suggested for identifying recently matched transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

FYI, There is also an older version of QM2007 (v16.0.x) which was a PPC-based version. This one uses Rosetta. Then Quicken eventually came out with a version of QM2007 that could run on Lion, etc. (v16.2.x) that did not need Rosetta in the Mac OS. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

I thought I would point out another benefit to having this as a separate window and workflow. 

During this process, there is a lot more data that needs to be manipulated, such as, sorting by cheque#, date, amount, matched status, etc. and the need to have more data shown, such as, matched flag, matched status, date posted vs date entered.

Having all this in a separate window and workflow for this irregular task (i.e. not every day, for those who batch the process more) means that there is no need to clutter up the register with extraneous data or having to resort between tasks. Therefore, one view could be maintained for the download, matching and acceptance workflow and a different much cleaner view could be kept in the register for daily usage.

• RickO
    edited October 2017

That's the best case I've heard for this yet!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

:-D

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

I just spent 5 hours trying to reconcile my monthly credit card statement because I had to manual go through over 80 transactions that would not match already entered transactions that were logged either in Quicken Mobile and QM 2017.  a couple were easy because they landed right next to each other and some weren't. When they aren't sitting right next to each other and its downloaded and cleared I end up hunting and merging them if they aren't Bills, seems you can't drag and drop downloaded transactions onto scheduled transactions.  I'm really frustrated with the lack of progress on letting me accept downloaded transactions or manually matching close transactions.  the ones that really confuse me are when they are entered exactly the same, date, payee and amount and they don't match.
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I can sympathize with you. Us users shouldn't have to deal with this. Seems like the CEO is only listening to himself.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

One easy way to find the transactions is to search by the $ amount, which most of the time puts them next to each other.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

That's not exactly true, not all transactions that have not been matched come in next to each other.  As an example, I was on a 3 week trip and entered 95% of my transaction daily into Quicken Mobile and then synced them with my desktop QM2017 when I returned.  I then did a download and the first thing I noticed was that even though I had categorized the mobile entry's some came in as "Uncategorized", another flaw but for another discussion.  Furthermore, when QM2107 downloaded these transaction they don't post to the date of transaction but to the date processed.  Some charges don't get processed right away even if they are in my account as 'Pending" until the merchant confirms the charge.  Also some merchants don't show up exactly as the name of the establishment.  Combine these two things and you can get downloaded transactions into you register separated by many days (this last download there were some the same day and up to 11 days after). Even if the transactions are downloaded on the same date that I had already entered in the register they may be separated by 10 other transactions on the same day.

I really don't need workarounds, I appreciate your efforts but that's not what we need.  I know what workaround's are and depending on how often you download and how many transaction I've previously entered it still enters transactions into my register without my approval and review. 

For those of you out there that don't think this is a problem then Quicken can make the process we've been screaming about optional for you.  I've been using Quicken continuously since it was introduced under the DOS operating system and I switched to QM in 2006 and didn't upgrade to QM until 2015 since it wasn't as powerful or feature rich as QM2007. 

I believe that I had a right to request a software company that I have purchased from for decades to offer products with as many features as it once had and equivalent to the more profitable Windows version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Steven, unless you have many transactions with the same $$ amount, it will filter them and only leave the ones with the exact amount. It makes it a lot easier to resolve while Quicken gets its act together and give us a real solution. I agree with you that this is just a bandaid and we need a solution.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Actually I do have lots of transactions with the same amounts like my co-pays for medical expenses and media I purchase to name a few.  But it's still a workaround. 

Here's something funny, I just tried it using the filter "last 30 days" and it pulled in future transactions, I think I found another bug because it sure isn't a feature. 

The other thing that happens, maybe only to me, but I'm not infallible when entering transactions, I'm dyslectic, and I get amounts turned around and payees wrong all the time.  So I can look at a list and see that the downloaded transaction is $31.06 but I entered $36.10 and if the system worked like we'd like it to I could match them manually or notice a miss spelled name instead of hunting them down wherever they drop into my register.  Having the ability to look only at downloaded transaction by themselves is much easier than looking at an already full list in my register.

QM is not going to fix my human mistakes but the way it works now isn't working for me and others.  When I was still using QM2007 I didn't have these problems regardless of my transcribing an amount incorrectly or miss spelling a payee or having the downloaded name different than what was on the receipt from the merchant.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Steven, you won't get an argument from me. I was happy with 2007 until some FIs stopped supporting it. I also much prefer to the option of a manual match. Let's hope they bring it back soon.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Roberto said:

Steven, you won't get an argument from me. I was happy with 2007 until some FIs stopped supporting it. I also much prefer to the option of a manual match. Let's hope they bring it back soon.

As pointed out in this post earlier in this thread about 3 weeks ago, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged adding this in the future. Only time will tell when.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Betty Knutson
    Betty Knutson Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

Customers have been asking for this feature (which has ALWAYS been standard in Quicken for Windows) for YEARS now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us have this capability.
  • Betty Knutson
    edited September 2018
    Ruegs said:

I believe this is an essential feature.  It helps ensure the quality of registers and allows users to appropriately match transactions with relative ease.  I won't fully convert to the Mac version is included in a future release.

100% in agreement! Why is this request being pushed to the back burner? We have been asking for this for years.
  • Betty Knutson
    edited August 2018
    Steven said:

Yep, we need this feature.  The current method is messy and requires to much work to ensure everything downloaded correctly.

I did vote by hitting the blue VOTE button at the top right side of the page!!!

I voted too. Our request is being ignored, not even acknowledged as "in the works", or available in subsequent release. An issue this basic should not be ignored.
    I am one very unhappy, about- to-be-EX, user.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

Is this still an issue with QM2018?
  • Betty Knutson
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Sounds like a lot of work for something that should, and used to, be handled very simply. Just show us the downloaded transactions, and their status, and allow us to choose to accept.
  • Betty Knutson
    edited August 2018
    pauldv172 said:

YES! It has NOT been addressed in 2018, and is not available in the new release. And I got an email assuring me that our feedback is appreciated and heard. We've been asking for this for years. If they listened and cared, it would be available by now. QM is evidently the neglected stepchild.
  • Betty Knutson
    edited August 2018
    pauldv172 said:

As you can tell, I am a bit ticked off right now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

Well...they appreciated your feedback and they listened to you.

Do they say anywhere in the email that they would add it?

I think you have some sort of false hope by a nebulous email response. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

BTW, Quicken 2018 comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.  If you're dissatisfied, return it. 
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

I know I'll probably convince you all, but it really is functionally equivalent. It's only a matter of where all the transactions live (in the register or in a separate window) until you are done reviewing them. I understand that if you have a gazillion accounts all downloaded at once it can get cumbersome in the current method. But I think for most people, it really shouldn't be a problem. I for one, transitioned from QM07 to QM17 and after a little getting used to it, works fine for me.