using both windows and mac version simultaneously

I just "subscribed" to the new 2018 version of Quicken for the Mac. I noticed that they are advertising that the Windows version is also included. I am anxious to see what mechanism Quicken has put in place to synchronize the data between the Windows and Mac versions. Surely they would not expect folks to enter everything twice?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is no syncing mechanism between the Win and Mac versions. 

The data files are NOT compatible or interchangeable.

While you can convert from Win to Mac with pretty good success, going from Mac to Win is badly broken and requires a great amount of repair work to make it usable.

So to answer your very last question, yes, you would have to enter everything twice.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• eldenfeldenf Member
    edited October 2018
    It hardly seems like including the Windows version is any kind of selling point then. Figures.
  • ProGolferProGolfer Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    eldenf said:

It hardly seems like including the Windows version is any kind of selling point then. Figures.

Depends if you're a Quicken Windows user.  

For those of us trying to transition from Quicken Windows using a virtual machine to Quicken Mac, this is a GREAT deal.

But I'm guessing that the numbers of those users are very small.  
  • Vlodek GabaraVlodek Gabara Member
    edited October 2017
    eldenf said:

I am one of those. I have been using windows version for years. tried to switch to MAC 2017 but it is much inferior. Any comments on 2018 comaprison? Would love to switch and jettison paralles
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    eldenf said:

It also makes sense for the family that has both computer types and are keeping separate files such as personal and club/association.  One group might prefer one OS over the other.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited October 2017
    eldenf said:

Vlodek: QM's speedboat performance makes QW agonizingly hard to go back to. But go back to it you must, since QM has a ways to go -- especially with regard to Quicken's traditional bread and butter: tax planning, deep-dives into investments, and high-fidelity reporting.

QM's reporting incapacity is largely a self-inflicted wound. Although QM doesn't have the gaudy array of possible reports available in QW, it has a sufficient number of the relevant types of reports to offer robust capability in that area.

However, since the Mac team never enabled QM to handle transfers in budgeting or reporting, the user is left flat-footed -- unless you don't need to account for your mortgage, your car loans, your student loans, RMDs, etc. Because in QM's budgets and reports they simply evaporate. 

This deficit is even more galling because QM features the handy ability to categorize transfers (i.e., a transaction can be categorized and also given a transfer link). Problem is, as soon as you slap a transfer on the transaction it disappears into some transaction protection program, out of sight and off the grid.

Likewise, filtering for tags is a cluster-you know what, because of a basic capability present in every PFM known to humankind that was never added to QM's reporting engine. 

These head-shakers haven't been remedied in QM18. The Mac team's leader has suggested that remedying the transfers problem in *budgets* (though not, mind you, in reporting) is on the "long-term road map."

I say it needs to be the first stop (in fact, it should have been done before loan amortization, in my opinion), and it needs to include a fix for reports as well as what I'll just call "the tags problem."

However, compared with the QW team (assuming one exists), the QM folks are paragons of solicitude, so hopefully they will get it in gear and finally make QM the leader in the Mac PFM market.
  • Vlodek GabaraVlodek Gabara Member
    edited October 2017
    Thank you very much for your comments. I would make similar (but not as thourough) about comparison of both 2017 versions
This discussion has been closed.