QWin 2017: How to transfer money from investment funds to paycheck

Options
Rick56
Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have a company stock purchase plan. The stock purchase happens twice a year. The small remainder left over after the stock purchase is refunded. I want to show that the money is transferred from the stock purchase account to my checking through my paycheck. How do I do that? Hope this makes sense.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    More info needed.  What Q product are you running?  What product year? What product release/build?  What country? What operating system?

AND, how are you recording those paychecks? Are you using the Paycheck Wizard ... or something else?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Sorry I forgot those things. Quicken Deluxe 2017 for windows R15, Build 26.1.15.5. I created my paycheck way back using the wizard and have all my salary, before and after tax deductions recorded on each check. The refund in question is registered under the salary section at this time using a category of the stock purchase account (found in the transfer section of choices) and it shows the additional funds in my checking but does not show that the funds came from the stock purchase account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Rick56 said:

Sorry I forgot those things. Quicken Deluxe 2017 for windows R15, Build 26.1.15.5. I created my paycheck way back using the wizard and have all my salary, before and after tax deductions recorded on each check. The refund in question is registered under the salary section at this time using a category of the stock purchase account (found in the transfer section of choices) and it shows the additional funds in my checking but does not show that the funds came from the stock purchase account.

In my wife's paycheck transaction (I'm retired, and no longer 'paid'), there's a transfer to her HSA account.

In the Category field of that line, the value is [HSA] ... the square brackets indicating that it's a transfer.

How does that "transfer" appear in your paycheck?  AND, what's the precise name of the paycheck section where you've recorded it?  There is no "Transfer section".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I want to show that the money is transferred from the stock purchase account to my checking through my paycheck.
    Is the "direction" of the transfer actually correct in the above statement?
    As in are you really looking to transfer the amount from the stock purchase account to your checking account?

If that is the case then you would have to add the transfer (a line with [Account] as the category) to the paycheck as "Add Earning" so that the money flows from that account into the paycheck/checking account.
  • Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OK guys. I figured it out. I had done what you suggested already (added earning and used the transfer category of the ESPP account). I expected to see a separate line item each for the original contribution and the refund but instead it registered a transaction which was the sum of the 2 ESPP account transactions (i.e. original paycheck contribution minus the refund from
    the ESPP cash total). Still would have preferred a separate line item for the refund in the ESPP account. Since the totals work, I will just have to remember that is how it is displayed if future research is needed.

Thanks for the prompt responses and I hope my experience will help others to perform these types of transactions.

This discussion has been closed.