Can I install Quicken Premier 2018 without uninstalling Premier 2017. I want to run both versions.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am running Quicken Premier 2017 (r15.1) and I am about to install Quicken Premier 2018 . (Windows 10 Fall Creators Update) Can they run alongside each other. They will have separate QDF files. I see this question was asked about previous versions. I want to know specifically about the NEW 2018 vs 2017.

I need to do this because I have two securities that show a conflict between the "Shares" on the holdings page  and the Number of Shares on the Sell - Shares Sold page when you select "Sell all shares in this account". (See below.) (By the way, the Daily Gain/Loss calculation on the Investment Tab uses the Number of Shares on the Sell-Shares Sold page. 

I have tried various combinations of file copy & file validation to no avail. When I run a security activity report every buy, sell, reinvest div ... is there. The "number of shares" available to trade are short by the quantity of the last trade. I deleted that trade but no joy. (This is true for the second security as well.)

I think the only way to solve this is by reentering all of the security transactions. I have dividends going back to 1977. It is going to take time; first I have to delete each transaction and then reenter them. Perhaps in the future there will be a way to export all of the transactions for a specific security and then with a click of a button delete all of the transactions and then click another button to import the exported file. Long over due, no?

I am afraid that during the conversion of the file from 2017 to 2018 something my not carry forward to the new QDF file. I want to be able to fire up the 2017 version to help reconcile any problems I may encounter. I won't be updating the 2017 file; I just want it for reference: security transactions, gain/loss reports, transfers, etc.. 

What do you think? 

Fred J.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Unfortunately, not for the Windows version. The only way around this is to install one version inside a VM (Virtual Machine).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Using the VM or a second computer is the best way because you would not be able to run both versions at the same time to refer back and forth from.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Regarding the number of shares available issue, if you haven't already, I suggest you check for hidden placeholder transactions (select Edit->Preferences..., Investment transactions, check Show hidden transactions, and select OK) in the investment account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    @Sherlock,
    Thanks for the tip. No Joy!
    It is strange because even after deleting all the Sell transactions, the numbers displayed (as shown above) are still not equal. They are always off by the amount of (deleted) sell transactions. It is as if twice the number of shares were sold on each sell transaction.
This discussion has been closed.