Quicken Win 2016 Premier - Purchasing mutual funds through transfer doesn't always purchase

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
For years, I have transferred money monthly from my checking account to various mutual fund accounts on the day of purchase and Quicken would dutifully log transfer the money to the mutual fund and log a Purchase using that day's price (or most recent price) to determine the number of shares. This still works with most of my regular purchases. However, at least one account has stopped acting that way. Now, when I transfer funds to that account, it increases the mutual fund's account balance but does not log a purchase. I have to make a separate manual entry to create the purchase. What gives? Did something change or did something somehow get corrupted with the mutual fund? Using Quicken Windows 2016 Premier 14.1.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    First thought-- other accounts are set as Single Mutual Fund accounts. Problem account is not set that way. The SMF accounts know you have to buy that security in that account. A non-SMF accounts cannot know what security you might wants to buy. See edit account details.

For the non-SMF account, you will have both shares and cash represented in the account at various times. The presence of those cash values will prevent you from directly changing the account to an SMF account. The change might be possible, but it also might be tedious.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    q.lurker said:

First thought-- other accounts are set as Single Mutual Fund accounts. Problem account is not set that way. The SMF accounts know you have to buy that security in that account. A non-SMF accounts cannot know what security you might wants to buy. See edit account details.

For the non-SMF account, you will have both shares and cash represented in the account at various times. The presence of those cash values will prevent you from directly changing the account to an SMF account. The change might be possible, but it also might be tedious.

That makes a lot of sense and indeed the impacted account was set to No. I changed to Yes and it now it works! I did see this difference in the account details previously when comparing against mutual funds that worked and swear the impacted account only showed two options without the third "SMF Y/N" option! Also, it worked through last month at this time so I'm not sure how it got changed. I did do a Validate and Repair earlier tonight...maybe that had something to do with it. Thank you!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    q.lurker said:

If at the time you looked at the impacted account details, that account had both the cash and the shares, then the SMF Y/N option would not appear.  If you later changed the transactions manual to a BuyX and deletion of the cash entry thereby eliminating all cash balances, then the SMF Y/N option would reappear.  
This discussion has been closed.