Updated to R10 (Windows, Quicken 2017 Premier). Now cannot add new securities (either manually or a

John Curran
John Curran Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Two weeks ago I fixed One Step Update by disabling Windows Defender.  Now I discover that this has broken as well (since the R10 update).  Any advice with this clunky program is appreciated!  Thanks-

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    What security are you trying to add?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    And what is an "automated" add of securities?  How are you trying to do that?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John Curran
    John Curran Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    • Was trying to add Vanguard Wellington, Admiral Shares.  By "automated" I meant where you type in the name or ticker (VWEMX) and Quicken does the rest, vs. "manual" where you enter all the information.  Automated would spin the 'wheel of waiting' for upwards of 30 minutes with nothing happening, manual allowed me to enter everything (after which Wellington would show if I went to "Securities" under "Tools"), but when I actually tried to enter the security it pretended it didn't exist (again, I could see the security under the previously mentioned menu).  In the end I deleted the program and reinstalled.  At that point I could enter Wellington (again only manually, not automated) and it has worked since. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

• Was trying to add Vanguard Wellington, Admiral Shares.  By "automated" I meant where you type in the name or ticker (VWEMX) and Quicken does the rest, vs. "manual" where you enter all the information.  Automated would spin the 'wheel of waiting' for upwards of 30 minutes with nothing happening, manual allowed me to enter everything (after which Wellington would show if I went to "Securities" under "Tools"), but when I actually tried to enter the security it pretended it didn't exist (again, I could see the security under the previously mentioned menu).  In the end I deleted the program and reinstalled.  At that point I could enter Wellington (again only manually, not automated) and it has worked since. 
    I suspect that the problem arises from Q's Quotes Provider ... who, in general, doesn't provide info for preferred shares and the like.

I got the same "spinning wheel" icon when I tried to add VWENX (note the corrected symbol).

• John Curran
    John Curran Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the symbol catch, although that was a typo today only (lol).  Quicken does correctly update the share's pricing each day on autoupdate, plus remember that the shares were manually entered and showed up in my list of securities.  Still couldn't add it.  ??
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I don't understand.  If it shows up in your "list of securities" (presumably you mean what you get when you type CTRL-Y) ... then why would you need to "add it"?

Add it to what?  It's already in the securities list which is what a new security gets added to.

• John Curran
    John Curran Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

"Add it" means "buy shares".  Put it in the ledger as a purchase.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Make sure the security type in Quicken is NOT Market Index.  It should be Mutual Fund, though if you want some other setting that also should proceed.  The program will not let you buy Market Indexes which are for things like the Dow Jones Industrial Average or S&P 500 Index (distinct from mutual funds and ETFs that track those indices).  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

And, are you using a BUY (or Buyx) transaction?  How are you trying to buy that security ... and what exactly happens.

• John Curran
    John Curran Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Security type was listed as mutual fund.  I was using a buy transaction, and as a first time transaction with that mutual fund I had to enter the security.  As explained earlier, I did this manually.  Upon completing this I was taken back to a blank entry line and had to reenter the security again (the security wasn't in the drop down list).  I did this numerous times, continually reentering the security.  Whenever I entered the security it would show in the security list under tools, but not in the actual ledger.  Tried deleting the security in the security list, tried rebooting, nothing.  Tried for a week.  It had worked fine prior to R10 update.  So I finally uninstalled and reinstalled, worked.  :)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I am having the same problem with Sun Life Financial security it show up in the security list, but not in the account. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Have you recorded a BUY of that security in an investment account?

Purchase of a new security is a 2-step process.
    1) Add the security to the Security List.
    2) Record a BUY of the security.

After those 2 steps, purchases of additional shares of the same security need only the 2nd step.

This discussion has been closed.