Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.3.x Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
We've started rolling out Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.3.x.  The focus of this release is improved stability in the Bills & Income and the portfolio view.  Please file issues with this release as comments in this forum post so we can find them faster.

Bills & Income
  • New Edit Details menu in the Bills & Income view.
  • Credit Card payments that are transfers will only appear once in Bills & Income.
  • Fixed an issue where account selection in Projected Balances view would affect other views such as All Accounts.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when hovering over the cash flow chart under Projected Balances view in an account with a zero balance.
Portfolio View
  • New security menu in the portfolio view where you can go to edit the security or go to the web page with lots of detailed information about that security.
  • The chart in the portfolio view has been smoothed out and works better when using the as of date.
  • Re-enabled the Print menu on the investment transaction view.
  • The chart in portfolio view can be resized or hidden but unfortunately, the height of the charts wasn't remembered. This is now fixed. 
  • Fixed some rounding error issues in investment transactions that would cause bogus placeholders to appear.
  • Fixed an issue where changing the sort order for some columns in the portfolio view would move the total row around. It should always remain at the bottom of the list.
  • Fixed an issue where the Day Open column in Portfolio View only returned 0.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when selecting investment accounts that only had a placeholder without any real transactions.
We found an issue in 5.3 where reconciling would remove the Balance column so we're fixing that first before we start rolling things out again. 

Updates
11/15 - Released 5.3 to a small number of customers and then stopped.
11/16 - Released 5.3.1 - This fixes the reconcile bug.
11/21 - Released 5.3.2 - We discovered a bug that will occur if turning off Single-Mutual Fund mode on a connected account.  While we're fixing the issues, we decided to prevent customers this from running into this issue by not allowing the feature to be turned off for now.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Received the update notice this a.m. will hold off until the reconciliation column issue is resolved
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    QM V5.3.1..sold a security on 11/14/17..Security no longer in Portfolio view, this AM after upgrade to 5.3.1  security showing up in PV with -0 shares. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

QM V5.3.1..sold a security on 11/14/17..Security no longer in Portfolio view, this AM after upgrade to 5.3.1  security showing up in PV with -0 shares. 

@Concordman... I know you well enough to know you checked for placeholders, right?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Absolutely! First place I went.Tried to delete the security (not desirable) just to see what happens, would not allow deletion as its saying the security is still in use.I am on with Quicken support will advise what I find out.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

How about putting in a Move Shares in transaction for +0.00001 share?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

I retreated to the confines(warm & welcoming arms) of 5.2.1 and the stock does not reappear after updating from the Fi. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Worked with a nice fellow in support & we came up with the magical fractional share quantity to drive the security from the PV. back on 5.3.1
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Combined portfolio views (Investing, Brokerage, Retirement);
    The Cash entry is sorting alphabetically with the securities - instead of remaking at the bottom of the list of securities.
    The Cash entry remains at bottom of list when displaying individual account portfolio views.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    JM said:

The Cash entry is sorting alphabetically with the securities - instead of remaking at the bottom of the list of securities.
    The Cash entry remains at bottom of list when displaying individual account portfolio views.

We had this issue in 5.2.x but this should be fixed in 5.3.x.  Are you seeing this in 5.3.x?  if you are, what group are you using and what column are you sorting by?  I'm not able to reproduce this in my local version of the app but of course, I'm already running the next release already so it's possible it's fixed in the new version and not 5.3.x.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017

We did a bunch of work on rounding issues in 5.3 so I'm surprised this worked in 5.2 but is broken in 5.3.  It means we got something wrong or rounded something in the wrong way.  I'll contact you directly.  Thanks for reporting this.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    "New security menu in the portfolio view where you can go to edit the security or go to the web page with lots of detailed information about that security."

Link on security name to edit security does not appear if there is there is no symbol. In 2007 Mac I could enter a CUSIP symbol for bonds and the symbols were retained when I moved to 2017 Mac but there was no box to enter a symbol in the setup for new bonds. Thus I can easily click on the bond name to update older bond prices but can't for newer purchases. The CUSIP symbol appearing in the symbol column also makes it easier to choose between bonds with similar names. So please add a symbol box to the bond setup screen.

"The chart in portfolio view can be resized or hidden but unfortunately, the height of the charts wasn't remembered. This is now fixed. "

I am not sure that I had a problem with chart not staying hidden once I found out that portfolio accounts show much faster if chart is collapsed/hidden but much more irritating is that column width adjustments and sorting on a column other that security name are not remembered.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I don't think the changes happened on 12/16 as stated under the "Updates" header.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    JM said:

Version 5.3.1 - just upgraded today (11/17/17).
    See this with Investing, Brokerage and Retirement groups - sorting by 'NAME' column.
    No issue with individual accounts - Cash remains at bottom of list.
    Had not noticed this behavior with earlier releases.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    JM said:

Oh man, you're right.  I was trying Group by Security, Type, Asset and Holding Period and they looked fine and I don't think I really scrutinized Group By Account. I guess we fixed Totals but broke Cash.  Ugh! Thanks for reporting this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017

I don't think the changes happened on 12/16 as stated under the "Updates" header.

Right you are.  I think you found a bug in my brain :-).  I guess I need to get more sleep.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017

"New security menu in the portfolio view where you can go to edit the security or go to the web page with lots of detailed information about that security."

Link on security name to edit security does not appear if there is there is no symbol. In 2007 Mac I could enter a CUSIP symbol for bonds and the symbols were retained when I moved to 2017 Mac but there was no box to enter a symbol in the setup for new bonds. Thus I can easily click on the bond name to update older bond prices but can't for newer purchases. The CUSIP symbol appearing in the symbol column also makes it easier to choose between bonds with similar names. So please add a symbol box to the bond setup screen.

"The chart in portfolio view can be resized or hidden but unfortunately, the height of the charts wasn't remembered. This is now fixed. "

I am not sure that I had a problem with chart not staying hidden once I found out that portfolio accounts show much faster if chart is collapsed/hidden but much more irritating is that column width adjustments and sorting on a column other that security name are not remembered.

I think not showing the menu for a stock without a symbol was a design decision since we couldn't go to a web page but are you saying you'd still like the menu to be able to go to edit the security dialog?  Yup, that makes sense.

In regards to adding the symbol to the bonds, I'll see if we can do that.  I don't know of a reason we couldn't support that.

The fix in charts was to remember the height of the chart.  Closing it completely was always remembered.

Thank you for also pointing out that column widths and the sort order weren't being remembered.  I agree that we should fix that.  I've personally been doing a lot of portfolio view stuff but I guess I personally don't do a lot of sorting or resizing of columns so I didn't notice they weren't being saved.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I like the bills and income in a combined menu, can we get that back as an option.  Also under bills and income, I was previously able to change the date when I posted it, no I have to go find it in the register, can we add the ability to change the date when you post it in the bills or income sections?
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

I like the bills and income in a combined menu, can we get that back as an option.  Also under bills and income, I was previously able to change the date when I posted it, no I have to go find it in the register, can we add the ability to change the date when you post it in the bills or income sections?

Robert... When you're in the Bills & Income section, click the Projected Balances tab. That's the old view.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

@Concordman... how did you derive the magical fractional share amount?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

it was simply trial & error, once the -0.00 share value went to a positive fraction share value (added shares 0.0001,0.000001,etc    ) just played with the adding zero's, in my case 0.000002 made the security disappear.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thought I looked in there and only saw a graph of my account. Will look if it has a list of my schedule transaction that I can modify and post.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

I concur that there's something up with the rounding. I am seeing placeholders to add VERY small fractional shares, e.g. 

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Not observing any placeholders wrt  funds owned; I have a call option coming up on a stock with fractional quantities.expect the activity mid December..Will see how the rounding goes on that one
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

I reported those weird rounding placeholders in beta. Nobody else commented on them, so I figured it was just my situation. I deleted the placeholders for the few offending MF accounts, and all has been well.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Greetings all.  I just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac 5.3.2.  The first thing I noticed is that "Today's Balance" in the upper right corner is very low.  It appears to be leaving out a number of account that are properly listed in the left sidebar.  I'm trying to figure out where you determine what is included in the "Today's Balance" number.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone can give me a pointer to this, I'd appreciate it!
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

Greetings all.  I just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac 5.3.2.  The first thing I noticed is that "Today's Balance" in the upper right corner is very low.  It appears to be leaving out a number of account that are properly listed in the left sidebar.  I'm trying to figure out where you determine what is included in the "Today's Balance" number.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone can give me a pointer to this, I'd appreciate it!

Are you in the All Transactions view? This number is the total of the cash balance in all accounts. However, keep in mind that for investment accounts, this does not include the market value. It only includes the cash in the accounts as shown in the accounts' registers' balance column.

For this reason, it is somewhat confusing and I think they should just eliminate it from this view.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thanks RickO!  I had noticed that the number seemed be almost like my investments total was left out, but not quite.  Your explanation makes sense.
    Meanwhile, I think this is an unfortunate change from Quicken Mac 2017.  I think that Quicken should include the market values in this number, or as you suggest, get rid of it in this view.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

Right... you might initially think it could be useful in answering the question "how much total net cash do I have on hand?". But no, it includes the value of Property accounts (like your house) that are far from liquid. 
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    @ Quicken Marcus: Any update on when team will address portfolio view not remembering column widths? Or when bond mutual fund shares incorrectly assigned during migration from Q-Windows as "Bonds" can be correctly re-designated as "Mutual Funds"? Both issues have been reported using the tool at v. 5.2.x. Thanks. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Just noticed that while the magical fractional value deleted the security from the portfolio view, the security shows up under daily investment transactions in the calendar view. Might this be a bug.
This discussion has been closed.