QWin 2018 Patch Difficulties

Just upgraded to Quicken for Windows 18 after a botched Q16 patched left me unable to run the software. Now I'm getting a notice that there's a new patch, but I can't install it because I have to run qwpatch as administrator. So I run qwpatch as administrator, and it fails to connect to the server with the message: "Could not parse the URL "%updatepath%/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol." So what now? [Given the quality of Q16, and the problems with patching now, I'm getting pretty disappointed -- and I go back to Quicken 4 for DOS!]

Comments

• cahwyguycahwyguy Member
    edited November 2017
    Here's a screen shot of the error message:

• cahwyguycahwyguy Member
    edited January 2018
    Update: Using https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load as a clue (after the chat folks were clueless, blaming download software), I logged out and actually logged in as administrator. Started up Quicken, did a "update", was told about the patch, applied the patch (for it could download it), and things are just fine. Relogged back in as me.

Quicken needs to rethink its patching approach in light of the fact that users are increasingly encouraged *not* to run as adminstrator for security reasons.
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited January 2018
    I also had problems with the Quicken 2018 patch. I downloaded and installed the mondo patch and that took care of my issues.

My issue was that Quicken would prompt for my license key, accept that it was good but then tell me that the key was already used (yes, by me!). I wasn't able to open any Quicken data file. The mondo patch fixed it up.

By the way, my copy of Quicken 2018 Premier was purchased at a retail store, not downloaded from Quicken directly.
  • edited January 2018
    Reinstall it over the existing Quicken without doing an uninstall.  I just did that with the 2017 version and now it works.  When I did it this way I didn't have to login or enter my license key because it is already on my drive or in memory.  I never had much luck with their Mondo patches.

Activation by software companies is a joke.  Before forcing us to activate there should be a way inside the software to deactivate so their dumb software will know you aren't installing it on other computers.  Adobe has had this feature for years and I have installed some of their software probably more than twenty times without an issue.

Quicken 2017 and before used to allow installing multiple times.  Now they're making you pay for more headaches and wasted time on the phone with their customer support to reset your activations.  I can see quicken.com's future taking a major decline and loss of customers until they stop all this control.

I suggest finding a copy of the 2017 version and dump the subscription.  You will be glad you did because it is only going to get worse.  I have no intention of upgrading because I don't believe in subscriptions for productivity software like Quicken and office software.  It isn't a necessary software to require updates or upgrades.

I've been using Quicken since the days of DOS and it's just getting worse with every upgrade.  2017 is my last upgrade.  I remember when I had an account with Bank of America they had their own software that was similar to Quicken and I liked it better. I still have the software and data files, but unfortunately it won't run on current operating systems.
  • edited November 2017

I also had problems with the Quicken 2018 patch. I downloaded and installed the mondo patch and that took care of my issues.

My issue was that Quicken would prompt for my license key, accept that it was good but then tell me that the key was already used (yes, by me!). I wasn't able to open any Quicken data file. The mondo patch fixed it up.

By the way, my copy of Quicken 2018 Premier was purchased at a retail store, not downloaded from Quicken directly.

Returning the software could be a problem especially since you have activated it and it's tied to your account.  You might have to talk to somebody at quicken.com.

I never buy software at stores because of the problems returning it especially digital content.  You wouldn't believe the number of quicken-like software I purchased last year so I could dump Quicken.  All of them were useless so you're not the only one and all were subscriptions and there was no way to prevent them from auto renewing.  When my account was hacked last year  I had a new card number issued and that stopped the auto renew.
  • edited November 2017
    cahwyguy said:

Update: Using https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load as a clue (after the chat folks were clueless, blaming download software), I logged out and actually logged in as administrator. Started up Quicken, did a "update", was told about the patch, applied the patch (for it could download it), and things are just fine. Relogged back in as me.

Quicken needs to rethink its patching approach in light of the fact that users are increasingly encouraged *not* to run as adminstrator for security reasons.

Sometimes you have to run as administrator if the software won't run under normal conditions.  I don't listen to anything a so-called tech suggests because they're usually reading from a script.

One of these days I'm going to create my own quicken in Excel and give the data file away for free.  There used to be many of them years ago, but they've all disappeared or are full of malware.