Looking for a way to find YTD dollar return on stock portfolio, including stocks purchased part way

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
The Return YTD column under Investing Portfolio does not add in stocks that were purchased part way through the year. It shows N/A for those stocks. I would like to have an accurate picture of how much in dollar terms I have gained on stocks, both realized and unrealized for the YTD period.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Since it's dollar return (not IRR) I can't think of any reason Quicken should not show these values. This appears to be an issue with both QWin 2017 and 2018.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You can accomplish the same data by using the Return column (rather than Return YTD) and setting the beginning point for return calculations to the beginning of the year (Options, Portfolio Preferences, Show Return Calculation from: ___).  

Oddly, when I do that, I see the dollar amounts in the Return column rather than the NA in the Return YTD column for the applicable securities, but the column totals for the two columns are the same.  That is, Return YTD with NAs "adds" to the same total as the Return column with all dollar amounts.  Clearly the column totals are not columnar additions, but are separate computations.    
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    q.lurker said:

You can accomplish the same data by using the Return column (rather than Return YTD) and setting the beginning point for return calculations to the beginning of the year (Options, Portfolio Preferences, Show Return Calculation from: ___).  

Oddly, when I do that, I see the dollar amounts in the Return column rather than the NA in the Return YTD column for the applicable securities, but the column totals for the two columns are the same.  That is, Return YTD with NAs "adds" to the same total as the Return column with all dollar amounts.  Clearly the column totals are not columnar additions, but are separate computations.    

Thanks for the answer. It works and was just what I was looking for. I also ended up with the same results as you. i.e. the Return column and Return YTD column have the same totals even though Return YTD has a lot of NA in it. I took the time to add up all my P&L manually and it turns out that total is correct at the bottom and includes the P&L on stocks I only held part of the year as well as stocks held for the whole year. Thanks so much for the help!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    q.lurker said:

FYI - for future reference:  You can "Print" the portfolio view to an Excel-compatible file (a csv file) and then open that file in Excel.  From there, you can then have Excel do the addition.
This discussion has been closed.