Investment amounts disappear

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Windows Release R3.1
When I try to post investment transactions, I add the shares in and move to the total amount.  After entering the total amount, it reverts to an empty field and won't accurately reflect totals.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Is this QWin 2018?

Are you entering the transaction directly into the Investment Transaction List (register) or do you click on Enter Transactions then pick Buy?

I think you will get better results if you use the latter method.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Is this QWin 2018?

Are you entering the transaction directly into the Investment Transaction List (register) or do you click on Enter Transactions then pick Buy?

Yes, 2018.

While I find it very odd and it has changed in function, your suggestion worked.  Thank you!!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Is this QWin 2018?

A recent change to Quicken 2018 breaks the direct entry method unless you specify a price per share. If you don't enter a price per share it assumes zero!!

If you want to enter directly in the Transaction List, you can enter the shares, a random price per share ($1.00 for example) then enter the total purchase price and when you move off the total price field it will pop up the dialog offering to adjust the price per share. If you accept this, the transaction will be entered correctly.

I think if you leave the price per share blank and enter the number of shares and the total amount, it should compute the price per share without requiring verification, either in the Transaction List or if you click on Enter Transactions. This is the behavior in previous versions I think.

On a related topic, I also think the commission should default to the value you set in the Account Details/Fees, or 0 if you haven't entered anything there. If not, what else is this entry used for?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Is this QWin 2018?

You described the behavior of previous editions correctly, and you hit it right on the head that it assumes everything is $0 if you don't enter it.  I am glad you gave me an alternative!
This discussion has been closed.