PayPal recently stopped downloading transactions

11/27 was my last correct download with PayPal; since then, I am getting a OL-221-A error when I attempt to update my accounts. All other accounts (about 20) are working fine. I have tried various tricks, such as adding a new account, then clicking link to the existing; resetting (which, personally, has never done a thing for me, for any accounts); and also removing web services manually and reconnecting. The reconnecting part works, but it still fails to download transactions, and then this error pops up on subsequent attempts to update. 

Quicken Deluxe 2017 R15 Build 26.1.15.5 on Windows 10

Comments

• edited January 11
    Same issue, slightly different configuration:  Windows 10, Quicken 2015 R15.1, Build 24.1.15.10 -- which may indicate that this issue is with PayPal.  My last login and successful download was in  October 2017. 

Log shows:  "Not all required fields present. Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT"  However, based on online investigation, this may be a red herring. 

I just now (2017 12 03; 1635 PST) emailed PayPal to give them a problem report.  We'll see what's next, and I'll update this entry when something does occur.

Hope PayPal can find and fix the issue soon...
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Don said:

Same issue, slightly different configuration:  Windows 10, Quicken 2015 R15.1, Build 24.1.15.10 -- which may indicate that this issue is with PayPal.  My last login and successful download was in  October 2017. 

Log shows:  "Not all required fields present. Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT"  However, based on online investigation, this may be a red herring. 

I just now (2017 12 03; 1635 PST) emailed PayPal to give them a problem report.  We'll see what's next, and I'll update this entry when something does occur.

I'm generally the first to blame PayPal when their Express Web Connection breaks. But maybe this time, it's a Quicken problem.

When I look in my OFXLOG, I see new transactions which should be added to my Quicken register but are not. The transactions look fine. The only error I see in the logs is the missing BALAMT in the CONNLOG.

Since PayPal does not support Quicken at all, I would venture to say that only the Quicken EWC scripts team can repair this connection.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • markus1957markus1957 ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Don said:

Agreed they should be able to fix it once they realize it is happening. I find it interesting that the error is reported with an OL prefix; generally EWC errors are logged with a CC prefix.
  • NoCoBillNoCoBill Member
    edited December 2017
    My PayPal download was working for me on 11/25/17, but on 12/1/17 it failed with the OL-221-A error.

I download from six financial institutions.  Five of them use the Direct Connect (DC) method.  PayPal is different and uses the Express Web Connect (EWC) method.  All of the DC accounts download just fine.

What's the difference between DC and EWC?  With DC, Quicken on your computer connects directly to your financial institution and downloads data from there.  EWC is a whole different animal.

For EWC accounts, a Quicken hosted server connects to your financial institution, PayPal in this case, once a day, typically during the overnight hours.  A copy of your login credentials are kept on the Quicken hosted server in order to facilitate this connection.  The downloaded data is held on the Quicken hosted server.  When you download PayPal transaction from Quicken on your computer, it connects to the Quicken hosted server and downloads the data from there.

This is all explained in this support article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank  At the bottom of the article, expand the EWC - Details and DC - Detail links to read the details of each method.

So when Quicken says, in reference to the OL-221-A error, "These errors are caused by invalid information being transmitted by the financial institution's servers. Quicken Support does not have access to these servers or the information being transmitted by them and cannot resolve this issue. You can try the steps below to resolve it, but it may ultimately require action by the financial institution."  The second sentence is true for DC accounts but it is not true for EWC accounts like PayPal.

In my CONNLOG.TXT I see the "Not all required fields present. Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT" error occurring on the PayPal downloads.  Three of my other five downloads have no LEDGERBAL object or BALAMT tag, but this error is not reported on those downloads.  It is only being reported on the PayPal download.  So I think this error message is a bit of a red herring.

In the PayPal OFX log file I see all of my PayPal transactions.  They're all being downloaded and are all correct.  There are six SOAP request/response pairs in my PayPal OFX log file.  All six of them show a response status code of "ok" and a response status string of "call successful".  There are no indications of any errors.

So whatever's going wrong, is happening inside of Quicken on my computer.
  • Sandi SpiresSandi Spires Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Same problem, same timing. I even updated from 2016 to 2018 in an attempt to solve this. The only tidbit I can add to the info above is that, after disconnecting & reconnecting the Paypal account, the first attempt to update creates a null paypal account subsequently noted as an error by Quicken file validate.
  • Jim McWhirterJim McWhirter Member
    edited December 2017
    Ditto for me - both timing and error.   Very frustrating.  Suspect it is Quicken (and not PayPal) issue based on this thread:
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Payments/Quicken-download-fails-OL-221-A/m-p/1376101#M1346...
  • DaveDave Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Anyone working for Quicken - please acknowledge that there is an issue with quicken's download of paypal info and that it is being worked or if it is not, what we have to do to get it officially recognized and worked. This is happening for many if not all of quicken users that download Paypal transactions including me (quicken 2018 R3.4 Build 27.1.3.4)
  • markus1957markus1957 ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Dave said:

Anyone working for Quicken - please acknowledge that there is an issue with quicken's download of paypal info and that it is being worked or if it is not, what we have to do to get it officially recognized and worked. This is happening for many if not all of quicken users that download Paypal transactions including me (quicken 2018 R3.4 Build 27.1.3.4)

I think the light bulb finally went on. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paypal-nn371r6ojh6o3
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited December 2017
    My PayPal is failing to download with the same OL-221-A error code using Quicken 2018 Premier most recent patch
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka ✭✭✭✭ Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey everyone! 

Sorry you're experiencing these difficulties! 

The Paypal OL-221-A is a known issue and we are gathering more information and working on it!

Thank you for all of your feedback!

-Quicken Tyka 
    -Quicken Tyka
  • guadaguizguadaguiz Member
    edited December 2017

Hey everyone! 

The Paypal OL-221-A is a known issue and we are gathering more information and working on it!

-Quicken Tyka 

Dear Tonya. Same problem for weeks now. Quicken user since almost the beginning. Please fix ASAP. Gracias.
  • DaveDave Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Thank you Tyka!
  • branquickbranquick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I just check the OFX log, Quicken is connecting with PayPal. I am seeing transactions that occurred on 12/07/2017, shows the date of transaction, purchased from and the amount.

So it seems that Quicken itself is not recognizies the data it down loaded

Quicken H&B 2017
  • hpangelshpangels Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm having the same  issue, with all the reported symptoms --  just want to add to the tally of incident reports. Sounds like Intuit Quicken is on the case !
  • hpangelshpangels Member
    edited December 2017

Hey everyone! 

-Quicken Tyka 

Hi Tyka,
    same issue here:
    20171208 22:57:56: Not all required fields present. Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT
    Looking at OFX.log, there isn't even a LEDGERBAL node present at all for the Paypal session I just ran - but I can see plenty of real transactions in the XML/OFX data
  • guadaguizguadaguiz Member
    edited December 2017

Hey everyone! 

-Quicken Tyka 

Also, Quicken will not import any QFI file downloaded directly from PayPal. Not only will Quicken fail to connect, but the appropriate file is apparently illegible.
  • MarciMarci Member
    edited December 2017
    Happening for Target Bank (RedCard) too. Download worked fine 11/30/2017 but not 12/1/2017.
  • PeteVPeteV Member
    edited December 2017
    Don said:

I have this issue and see the same CONNLOG & OFXLOG entries reported in this thread. Problem has existed since 11/29 .  Only affected institution is PayPal in my case
  • Bill TaylorBill Taylor Member
    edited December 2017
    Don said:

I get the CC508 error with the message your financial institution website has a new page or popup that needs your attention.   
    I then pick go to the institutions website and I can log in just fine.
    I have a lot of PayPal transactions and I really need to download them.
    I have had the problem for at least 2 weeks.
    Very frustrating and now they want me to pay even more for the same service that doesn't work?
  • v.m.demolav.m.demola Member
    edited December 2017
    Hello! Hello! Quicken Support. Anyone home? 
  • v.m.demolav.m.demola Member
    edited December 2017
    Don said:

Still don't see any response from Quicken. Oh, and if you complain here the moderators delete your posts. I'm sure I won't be upgrading my Quicken in the future. Quicken support is terrible, and it takes them forever to fix problems. That doesn't stop them from hounding you to upgrade and turning off downloads if you don't.
  • ORBroncoFanORBroncoFan Member
    edited December 2017

Hey everyone! 

-Quicken Tyka 

I, too, am experiencing the same problem...
This discussion has been closed.