"Free" billpay with Quicken Premier

I was very reluctant to subscribe to Quicken 2018, and ultimately did so only because of "free" quicken billpay. However Quicken seems unable to complete my billpay enrollment process. Feeling like I'm a victim of a bait & switch.

Comments

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi jimaikins.

According to information from sources with Quicken Bill Pay, the process could take about a week. Normally it's quicker than that...

Hope this information helps.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jimaikinsjimaikins Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks - it’s already been over a week. Told today that I could be “another several days.”
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jimaikins said:

Thanks - it’s already been over a week. Told today that I could be “another several days.”

Hi @ jimaikins ,

With Free Bill Pay comes Free Premium Support. To obtain that Phone Number logged into your Quicken Account @ https://www.quicken.com/

Speak to them directly. It is free.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
    edited December 2017
    thanks - that's who advised me of the further delay
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you all for your feedback! Please continue to provide feedback on the process.I have set up my own Bill Pay account about a week ago to get a better understanding of the process and my account has not been verified as of yet!  I will definitely give an update on how long and what all I needed to do to get it working!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited December 2017

Thank you all for your feedback! Please continue to provide feedback on the process.I have set up my own Bill Pay account about a week ago to get a better understanding of the process and my account has not been verified as of yet!  I will definitely give an update on how long and what all I needed to do to get it working!

-Quicken Tyka

Hi @
    Quicken Tyka ,

Question: For those who buy Quicken Premium and Higher Flavor For Free Quicken Bill Pay, will the Subscription be extended, for the Users caused by the delay in getting Quicken Bill Pay Set up? So they have use of Quicken Bill Pay for 1 year?
  • George RaneyGeorge Raney Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled bill pay startup.

Two weeks ago, I downloaded Quicken 2018, complete with the free bill pay function. I cancelled my long time $9.95/mo subscription to bill pay and went through the checklist to establish another account. First of all, that's three hours of my life that I'll never get back. Second, it's been two weeks waiting on a 2-3 day action to drop a few micro transactions into my checking account. That's abysmal performance and I've migrated to use of my bank bill pay function so that nothing drops through the cracks. I wonder if I'll ever get the new bill pay account activated?
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

-Quicken Tyka

@thecreator The Bill Pay subscription begins when the user's enrollment is complete, so it will provide a year of service.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
    edited December 2017
    jimaikins said:

and now it's been nearly another week, and the quicken rep said "give it a couple more days"
    edited December 2017

-Quicken Tyka

Then what?
    edited December 2017

-Quicken Tyka

Hi @ Quicken Kathryn,

Will the year of Subscription to Quicken be extended to match the Year of Free Bill Pay in total? Because if the User continues to use Quicken in Manual Mode after a year, will the Subscription to Free Bill Pay, end as well or will the User be allow to upload his payments for the complete Year? Then he might buy the Subscription again to Quicken.

I am not in this Boat, but others might be.
    edited December 2018
    Update: two weeks and three days after I sign up, I get an email asking for:
    • Copy of your most recent home
      utility bill, we will only accept a full water, electric or gas bills
    • Copy of your social security
      card or other proof of your SSN
    • Copy of a voided check or a
      letter from the financial institution you enrolled, showing proof of bank
      account numbers and account ownership
    • Copy of your Driver’s
      License/Identification Card or other proof of your date of birthAg
    Again, this is appalling service on a couple of levels: 2. I get an email out of the blue asking for privacy information and 2. that it took this long to inform a good customer of another requirement that delays the process. I see from other posts that it is a real requirement. So, I'll waste more of my time getting it done.
    edited October 2018

• Copy of your Driver’s
    Again, this is appalling service on a couple of levels: 2. I get an email out of the blue asking for privacy information and 2. that it took this long to inform a good customer of another requirement that delays the process. I see from other posts that it is a real requirement. So, I'll waste more of my time getting it done.
    just got the same request, I don't know -- you think they might mention this requirement in the original instructions? And if they had, I wouldn't have started the process.
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited October 2018
    I also enrolled in Quicken Bill Pay since it was "free" with Quicken 2018 Premier. After a couple of months of trying the service I am currently winding it down and going back to the way I paid my bills before QBP.

In my experience, QBP will not make your life easier or save you time. In fact, you will most likely spend more time paying your bills. QBP was late on a payment to American Express. I was charged $5 for going over the allowed 15 transactions that are during a billing cycle, not during a calendar month.

I am beyond disappointed in how this worked out. I feel like I was baited into an upgrade I didn't need by this QBP offer. I was using Quicken 2017 Premier and it was working fine. I was hoping QBP would streamline my bill paying process but it was the exact opposite; QBP turned my bill paying chore into a complete mess.
  • BobBob Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Bill Pay nightmares.

I just upgraded to Quicken Premier 2018 in hopes of getting Quicken Bill Pay and priority support. But here's what I actually got:

I created my Quicken Bill Pay account early last week and set up a funding account. But those under-one-dollar micro-deposits they were supposed to make to my funding account in order to validate the account never appeared. After a grueling effort to reach a human at Quicken Bill Pay (more on that later), I learned it's taking 10-12 business days (i.e., up to 2-1/2 weeks) for those micro-deposits to occur. Until then, if you're a new user of Quicken Bill Pay like me, you're completely out of luck.

And regarding Quicken Bill Pay customer support: there essentially is none. I spend the morning trying to reach them, only to be told to "call back later" since no one is available. I finally convinced someone at Quicken customer support to help, and she was able to reach them. Quicken Bill Pay has no plans to fix this problem, and provides no other access to customer support (no chat, no email, no web forms). And the extra money I'm paying for priority support as a Quicken Premier user doesn't apply to Quicken Bill Pay. Quicken tells me I must have missed some fine print somewhere (no, I'm not making that up).

How about some transparency folks? Quicken: make it obvious that priority support only applies to portions of Quicken. Quicken Bill Pay: let customers know about the two week delay in setting up funding accounts, and get your act together regarding customer support.
  • BobBob Member
    edited August 2018
    jimaikins said:

Quicken's premium support DOES NOT INCLUDE Quicken Bill Pay services. I just found out the hard way. And good luck reaching Quicken Bill Pay customer service. The only option is a phone number, and they're so understaffed that they simply tell you to call back later.
  • BobBob Member
    edited December 2017
    TO WHOMEVER MODERATES THESE THREADS:

You moved my above post to "Quicken for Windows: Install and Update - Windows" but my post isn't about install or update, and it applies to both Windows and Mac.  PLEASE MOVE TO THE CORRECT TOPIC, OR PUT IT BACK AS ITS OWN TOPIC  !!!!
  • DBQuickenUserDBQuickenUser Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm also in-line awaiting my micro-payments. It has been almost two weeks. What a mess.

You may have also noticed when signing up for the new free QBP that current users of the 9.95/mo QBP would have to re-enter all of their payee data when their new account is established. For me, a long-time QBP user, that is over a hundred different payees. I was upset and contacted Quicken and actually talked to someone. They said that other customers that had switched to the new QBP were able connect the old account data to the new account. I hope they are correct.
    edited December 2017

I'm also in-line awaiting my micro-payments. It has been almost two weeks. What a mess.

You may have also noticed when signing up for the new free QBP that current users of the 9.95/mo QBP would have to re-enter all of their payee data when their new account is established. For me, a long-time QBP user, that is over a hundred different payees. I was upset and contacted Quicken and actually talked to someone. They said that other customers that had switched to the new QBP were able connect the old account data to the new account. I hope they are correct.

Hi @ DBQuickenUser ,

I would rather switch and go with a Bank that offers Free Bill Pay through Quicken for its Customers that meet their Requirements.

I use PNC Bank - Direct Connect and Free Bill Pay using Quicken.
  • DBQuickenUserDBQuickenUser Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks for comment. I'll take a look at the PNC Bank offering. I am looking for an alternative to Quicken. Since switching to Quicken 2018 it has been become unstable and keeps losing my budget data. Thank heavens I make a backup often.
    edited December 2017

Hi @ DBQuickenUser ,

I posted in other thread, but here:  (Does work with Quicken nicely.)
    https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking.html

https://www.pnc.com/en/customer-service.html

1-888-PNC-BANK (1-888-762-2265)
    • 24-hour Automated Account Information is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
    • PNC Customer Care Consultants are available 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.,
      ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, Saturday and
      Sunday to help you with your existing PNC accounts or to open new
      accounts.
    • Calling from outside the United States? General Customer
      Service can be reached by calling International Collect, 412-803-7711,
      to help you with your existing PNC accounts. Available 7:00 a.m. to
      10:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET,
      Saturday and Sunday.
    edited October 2018

• Copy of your Driver’s
    Update: one month ago, I signed up for Q2018. I sent in the utility bill, etc. It's been a week and I see nothing in my checking account--no micro deposit, nada, zip, zilch.
    edited October 2018

• Copy of your Driver’s
    Hi @ George Raney ,

Does your Bank offer Free Bill Pay with Quicken?
  • dcdonahdcdonah Member
    edited April 2018

You do NOT have to enter all of your payees in the new Quicken Bill Pay, if you already have them in the Online Payee list in Quicken.  If your new bill pay account is completed, (with a green ball, on the website) just select the payee in Quicken as usual, and it will be transmitted to the new Bill Pay account automatically, building your list.  My small deposits were made in a matter of hours, but I had to log in to my bank to confirm, then went to QBP website to confirm the account payments;(Green Ball).
    There was a disconnect in Quicken itself that prevented connection to the new account. On the account tab for the paying account, you have to make sure that the correct options are selected, otherwise, the pin vault doesn't get updated. NOTE: Payment will show a check number until the payees are re-confirmed as valid.
    Using Quicken Premier.
  • RyanRyan Member
    edited December 2017
    Although it seems as though my attempts to have this rectified by calling will be futile, I guess that's my only option. I've been waiting for nearly a month to have my account verified; absolutely horrendous. 
  • JamieJamie Member
    edited October 2018

• Copy of your Driver’s
      They do NOT need that 'private' information. I would never give that out! If one has a bank account which can be accessed via their password protocol, Bill Pay should handle that as it has in the past.... All my banks have a free bill payment service of their own and be much safer than using BillPay!  Also, save the $10-15/month!! 
      Question, hopefully, this information is not needed to setup respective bank/investment transactions? 

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    This doesn't help anyone waiting to get connected to Quicken Bill Pay, but just for informational purposes, I thought I'd point out the Quicken Bill Pay is a service provided by a third party company, Metavante Payment Services, not by Quicken themselves.

When sign-ups are slow or customer service isn't responsive, it's Metavante, not Quicken, that's messing up. And this dependency on an outside party puts Quicken in a difficult position: if they were to discontinue offering the bill payment service through Metavante because their service isn't up to snuff, then some users will scream that they want this integrated bill payment service; if they continue to offer it, people will blame Quicken although the actions of Metavante are largely out of their ability to control. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2018
    Finally, today, the microdeposits dropped into my account(s). I was able to verify the accounts, add billpay to the quicken accounts, and add a few payments. There was a minor kerfuffle with the billpay password...Quicken vault won't take !@#$%^&; characters for billpay, but Metavante will.. That said, all works well. Elapsed time was one month. That's terrible wait time...but it works.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Finally, today, the microdeposits dropped into my account(s). I was able to verify the accounts, add billpay to the quicken accounts, and add a few payments. There was a minor kerfuffle with the billpay password...Quicken vault won't take !@#$%^&; characters for billpay, but Metavante will.. That said, all works well. Elapsed time was one month. That's terrible wait time...but it works.

Hope you never need "customer service" from Metavante in the future.  I was a PayTrust (a cousin of Quicken Bill Pay which also uses Metavante)  customer for 17 years until this year when Metavante tried to impose a limit on the amounts that I paid and by limit I mean nothing over $5,000.00. 

When I called to find out when this "new" policy had been implemented they said it was always their policy, there "solution" was to break the payment up into smaller amounts which of course would result in "more" payments by me and more money for them because they charged more after a set limit of payments per month.  Then was told there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO HELP, and neither could a supervisor who read the same shtick from a computer screen while continually "apologizing" about the inconvenience.   It took 5 months to close the account because they refused to do so when I first instructed them to.

Hope you have better luck, may the Force be with you!

• Mark FertigMark Fertig Member
    edited October 2018
    The process involves setting up a new Quicken BillPay account, which requires too much personal documentation to be sent off.  See https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2018-premier-setting-up-included-quicken...