Discover Bank Duplicate Transacctions

Quicken Premier for Windows 2016

For 2 weeks I have been experiencing duplicate transaction downloads from Discover Bank. Discover Bank refuses to acknowledge nor resolve the problem. Cause: different FITIDs for the same transactions. E.g.

-73<FITID>20171030SDF49826300000045<NAME>Check
 -73<FITID>20171030SDF49826300000039<NAME>Check
 -73<FITID>20171030SDF49826300000037<NAME>Check

Anyone else having the same issue? The above snippets are from 3 different OFXLOGs taken on 3 consecutive days.

I've seen reports of similar problems dating back to 5 years ago.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Discover Bank offers all three "Connection Methods" for downloading.

If your Quicken account is using "Direct Connect" or "Web Connect" for downloading from Discover Bank, only Discover Bank can correct the problem.

If your Quicken account is using "Express Web Connect" for downloading from Discover Bank, I believe you need to contact Quicken support to get the problem addressed.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited November 2017
    Bigly, in QM17, QM18 and QW18. Triplicate, even quadruplicate transactions, each with different FITIDs --  only in Discover checking, not in Discover Savings or Discover Card. All accounts connect via DC.

My impression is that this shenanigans started when I purchased Q18, but that could be a trick of the mind. As stated, QM17 started doing the same thing. 
  • edited November 2017
    Discover Bank says they have no other reports of this problem. The cause of the problem is clear. A solution for them might be to truncate the FITID to 17 rather than 25 characters.

The triplicate, even quadruplicate transactions can be eliminated by deleting the OFXLOG.DAT file before downloading/updating.

There are several aspects of Discover Bank that I like, but I cannot live with this problem. Closing the account will be a pain as I use direct deposit and bill pay.

(To  mshiggins, I am using direct connect.)
  • edited November 2017
    I have been experiencing this problem for several weeks.  I am on Quicken Home and Business 2017.
  • edited November 2017
    Thanks, Stan. Have you complained to Discover Bank?
  • edited November 2017

I called to let them know that I have the problem.  I mentioned your name so that they associate this issue with more than one person.  The call representative assured me that she will let technical support know that I am also having the problem.  In the meantime as a work around, I'm going to download only recent transactions through "web connect" and temporarily deactive "direct connect."
  • edited November 2017

You must be on their VIC list. Just updated QM and for the first time in weeks my Discover Checking account wasn't littered with reruns. We'll see if it holds.
  • edited November 2017

I still got some duplicates, but they were different duplicates than I received in the past.  Like you said, mistertheplague, we'll see if it holds.
  • edited November 2017
    Sorry, but I think the problem is not resolved. Yesterday they told me one other person has reported the problem.
    On 5 different days, I get the same transaction with 5 different FITIDs. Quicken, of course, thinks they are different.

I think they need more squeaky wheels.
  • edited November 2017
    Sorry to report that Discover Bank still has not fixed their problem. My hopes were up for a few days, but today they again assigned a different FITID to an old transaction.

• edited November 2017
    Chris,

I'm still getting duplicates as well.  As you said, we need more "squeaky wheels."  I simply will not spend hours on the phone arguing with companies on issues like this.  If it doesn't resolve at a certain point, I will work around as necessary.  Thanks for bringing it to the attention of Discover.
  • edited November 2017
    The problem isn't fixed, but Discover is doing something....I tried to download 60 days of transactions, but got only 29 days worth. That means I can't track the one transaction I was looking at to see if the problem is fixed.
    My download did show that the first transaction's FITID was:

20171023SDF61167800000001

The following 49 transactions incremented by 1, e.g. <FITID>20171024SDF61167800000002. Might be a good sign.
    Not sure when I want to try downloading with Quicken to accept, then manually delete the previously accepted transactions.

Their "supervisors" are quite useless with no technical background whatsoever. I've spoken with lots of them.
  • edited November 2017

The problem isn't fixed, but Discover is doing something....I tried to download 60 days of transactions, but got only 29 days worth. That means I can't track the one transaction I was looking at to see if the problem is fixed.

The following 49 transactions incremented by 1, e.g. <FITID>20171024SDF61167800000002. Might be a good sign.
    Not sure when I want to try downloading with Quicken to accept, then manually delete the previously accepted transactions.

Their "supervisors" are quite useless with no technical background whatsoever. I've spoken with lots of them.

Please let us know whether you're successful with the "accept, delete routine."  I've done it a couple of times over these last many weeks with no success.  Tired of redoing it to no avail.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited November 2017
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Discover Bank offers all three "Connection Methods" for downloading.

If your Quicken account is using "Direct Connect" or "Web Connect" for downloading from Discover Bank, only Discover Bank can correct the problem.

If your Quicken account is using "Express Web Connect" for downloading from Discover Bank, I believe you need to contact Quicken support to get the problem addressed.

My two Discover Bank savings accounts (both Direct Connect) have both received multiple downloads of the 10/31/2017 interest payment, all with different FITIDs, so it is definitely an issue at Discover Bank and not Quicken.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Randy JohnsonRandy Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    I submitted a complaint to Discover on this a couple weeks ago.  Initial responses were worthless, but last response said they have 'escalated to appropriate parties'.  That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard boo since.  I agree the problem is that the last 2 digits on the transaction ID changes from one download to another.  The weird thing is that duplicates only show up if at least one new transaction appears since the last download, and it doesn't seem consistent as to which transactions are duplicated.  Not all transactions are duplicated in my case.

It looks to me like the problem started in September when they changed the IDs from 9 to 25 characters.  It is conceivable to me that the problem could be Quicken improperly handling the longer string, but seems more likely to be on Discover side.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know there is at least one other person complaining, and glad to have found that I am not the only one.  I am going to contact them again with a reference this thread.
  • edited November 2017

Will do. It'll take a couple of days to see if it's fixed.
  • edited November 2017
    Thanks, Randy.

The spec for the FITID is 32 characters max., so I don't think 25 is the problem.

For me, the problem started mid-October. I use One Step update daily (or I did until this problem started). I should know in a couple of days if it's fixed or not.

Chris
  • edited November 2017
    Sorry to report that the problem has NOT been resolved.

• edited November 2017
    I just wrote an email with a link to this thread to the executive offices of Discover.  I'm hoping that technical support may get some unwanted attention from "up above."
  • edited November 2017
    Thanks, Stan. Yesterday's "supervisor" told me problem will be fixed on/before 12/6. If true, that'll be about 2 months since the problem started.
    Yesterday, I downloaded 1 year of transactions and again got only the last 30 days. Not really an issue for me.
  • edited December 2017
    It might be too early to say the problem is resolved, but Discover Bank has made a change as of today that might fix things. They have gone from an absurd 25 alphanumeric FITID to a slightly less absurd 9 character one. E.g.:

20171204SDF18375800000049 
    is now                     SDF183758

That gives them 26*26*26*1,000,000 unique ID numbers for each account holder, which should be adequate.

One of my other banks started the FITID at 100, and increments it by one for each new transaction. Seems to work just fine.

I'll wait a few days and let everyone know if there are any new surprises.
  • edited December 2017
    I've had two days in a row where downloads did NOT have duplicate transactions.  Hope it holds!
  • Jana VosJana Vos Member
    edited December 2017
    Oh please let this be fixed!  I turned off my download for a while and finally got brave enough to turn it on again.  I was getting some previously cleared transactions that I had to delete but maybe 6 or so.  It was annoying but I could live with it.  Sometime this week, it downloaded 400+ NEW transactions in both my checking AND savings account.  These are old transactions that have already cleared and there are duplicates of all the transactions (anywhere from 3-11 duplicates).  I wish you could delete more than one transaction at a time.  So frustrating!!!
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator
    edited December 2017
    Jana Vos said:

Oh please let this be fixed!  I turned off my download for a while and finally got brave enough to turn it on again.  I was getting some previously cleared transactions that I had to delete but maybe 6 or so.  It was annoying but I could live with it.  Sometime this week, it downloaded 400+ NEW transactions in both my checking AND savings account.  These are old transactions that have already cleared and there are duplicates of all the transactions (anywhere from 3-11 duplicates).  I wish you could delete more than one transaction at a time.  So frustrating!!!

Hi Jana,
    Are you still seeing this issue currently?  If you are, please let us know--we'd like to reach out to you and get some log files to figure out what's going on--

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • EmKayEmKay Member
    edited December 2017
    I seem to be having this issue for about the last month, too, in savings and CD accounts with Discover, but I'm not technical enough to know about the FTID and/or OFXLogs or how to complain to Discover.  If anyone wants to either offer troubleshooting guidance and/or send me a complaint email address and template for the complaint, I'd be happy to add my voice.

Thanks
  • edited December 2017
    The problem seems to have been resolved for most people as of December 6. I'd recommend setting 2  line display, (gear icon or CTRL 2) and display both Downloaded reference and Downloaded ID (gear icon, Register columns).

Then accept downloaded transactions one at a time and delete the older of the duplicates (the ones with IDs starting with 2017).

Since Discover Bank seems to allow downloads of only the past 30 days, the problem should disappear by January 4 for everybody, although for most of us it's already resolved.
  • Jana VosJana Vos Member
    edited December 2017

The problem seems to have been resolved for most people as of December 6. I'd recommend setting 2  line display, (gear icon or CTRL 2) and display both Downloaded reference and Downloaded ID (gear icon, Register columns).

Then accept downloaded transactions one at a time and delete the older of the duplicates (the ones with IDs starting with 2017).

Since Discover Bank seems to allow downloads of only the past 30 days, the problem should disappear by January 4 for everybody, although for most of us it's already resolved.

Thank you for the directions!  I may wait until January 4 to reactive my download - lol!  I'm still reeling from the 800 transaction I had to delete last week.  :(