Import multiple stock prices at once

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Is it possible to import multiple stock prices at once in Quicken for Mac 2018? Maybe a CSV file with prices for several stocks or some sort of automation that would import CSV files one by one. Are there any apple scripts or command arguments that can help me achieve that? Thanks!

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I know QM2018 does support CSV import for stock prices but I do not believe QM2018 supports applescripts but I am unfamiliar with the details. Take a look at the built-in Help to see if there is sufficient info. If not, report back and maybe someone will be along with more info.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    You are probably aware, but QM18 does allow import of price history via CSV file. The problem is, you have to do it one stock at a time, and it takes a whole bunch of keystones & mouse clicks. AppleScript is not going to be able to help as the script dictionary for Quicken is very limited.

The only suggestion I can make is a macro tool called Keyboard Maestro ($36). It is a very powerful tool that can automate user interface interactions. You could use KM to click all the necessary buttons & keyboard keys to get you to the CSV file for each stock, so it becomes a one or two keystroke action to import a file. Whether it's worth it would depend on how much of this you have to do and how comfortable you are with creating macros.

I use KM to automate a bunch of things in Quicken so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard and reach for the mouse. (FYI, I have no relationship, financial or otherwise, with KM's developer.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks I think I have figured it out, still testing though. You can import multiple stock prices via a QFX file.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    John said:

Thanks I think I have figured it out, still testing though. You can import multiple stock prices via a QFX file.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Learn something new every day. How do you generate the QFX file? And when you import it, does it need to be associated with a Web Connect account in Quicken?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    John said:

I found some OFX examples of how to import an investment account. In the file you can provide how much quantity you have of a specific security and what is it's current price. If you select that you have zero of it but still provide price, Quicken will store the price for that date.You can add as many securities and dates as you want.

First time imported, Quicken will create an investment account and then you can hide it from list/reports.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    John said:

Now if you find some way to get downloaded quote histories automatically converted to OFX, you'd be all set.
This discussion has been closed.