Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

Betty, I hear you. All these "new features", but not a few basic functional requests lots of folks would like addressed for a year or more... :-/

With the 30 day money back... I'll probably try it next to Banktivity 6, which has good reviews... and see...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)

Please don't project your workflow on others. You have no idea what those of us who want this function RESTORED. You will not convince anyone here to accept your view.

I've been using the new QMAC since it was released and it hasn't gotten any better.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

It's not that i object to this request, but it's hard for me to understand all this moaning and groaning. I keep fastidiously accurate records with my Quicken and have been doing so for about 20 years. I balance my checkbook and every credit card statement every single month. I download transactions on these accounts every single day. I review them each day via the last downloaded filter. I have never had a single problem in having the downloaded transactions match up. If there are minor discrepancies in categorization they are easy to see and correct. I just do not see how this aspect could be a deal breaker.

Why are you trolling this request since it appears not to affect you. If it gets implemented you'll be able to opt out so please go away. You do not represent the company nor those who want this. I'm very confident that if this was placed on "What Three Things Would You Like To See" list it would get an overwhelming response because most users don't know about the Get Satisfaction website.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

The ideal scenario would be to have the option to download without CLR auto-selected, and then have it change to "blue cleared" either by clicking on CLR, or by selecting "reviewed" on the left side. Also, a nice step 1 would be to support "unclearing" multiple transactions at once. Gets old single clicking each one, something I never had to do with Mac pre-2007 or the Windows version.

To the Quicken team, thank you for rebooting the Mac version so I could get off the old Mac and current Windows version. You keep improving and we'll keep buying annual copies.  :-)

Nothing like being adaptable to change.

It's not Quicken 2007.  Time to move on already. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

I am not "projecting" anything. I am simply pointing out an alternative. I care not whether you choose to try it, like it, or use it. And, by the way, I did VOTE for this idea. Not because I want it, but because others do and because I believe it will be optional if ever implemented.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Ok, I was too harsh. When I do daily downloads the program still doesn't get it right 40% of the time. It either doesn't download the cleared transactions from my credit card financial institutions or it doesn't match what I've manually entered. 99% of the time I manually enter transactions before a download and it still causes me extra work.

Thanks for your vote.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

I've had zero problems in this regard.  Dragging and dropping unrecognized matches seems to work 100% of the time.  And my credit card company has never NOT downloaded a cleared transaction on their end.

Is it possible it's an issue with your credit card company?  Just wondering. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

As pointed out in this comment below 3 weeks ago, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged planning for this...it is simply a matter of priorities...There are other items that have a greater priority...like fixing things that are preventing data from being converted over from QM2007 (or even QWin) because the feature set in the current version does not support them, or report formats that cannot extract the data as users need to analyze or present their data...

That said, this feature is the 4th top requested feature (5th if you consider the cumulative request for types and features for reports)...so hopefully it will gain enough focus sooner rather than later...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Interesting... Top on my list are turning off Auto Fill of Payees (or controlling it better) and the auto-categorization that goes with it. Quicken fills in the last used closest match, which is almost always incorrect. 

That's a huge hassle for me.

Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

And those 2 features are avaialble to vote on at these links: (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Yes, I voted on both a while back.

I don't understand why the votes aren't higher on those, and others don't have issue with this.

If the votes were higher on those two I'd more inclined to give the upgrade a try and wait.

Of course it would just be easier if we could assign a default category to each Payee! Why that functionality is missing really is beyond me.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

@Steven... Just checking... when they don't match, are you dragging and dropping one transaction on the other? That's how Quicken learns and improves. If the matching algorithm is not working well, I'm not sure how a separate downloads window would improve that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Scott said:

This is a great question, but it reveals the assumption behind the Quicken's apparent decision not to fix this problem. It assumes there is something to learn. But the problem is, often, there is nothing Quicken could possibly learn. 

E.g., imagine you use Uber both for business and personal, 50%/50%. You charge Uber on your credit card. If Quicken learns to assign that to your personal transportation category, then 50% of the time it will be wrong.

If the automatic matching is such a good idea, let people choose it. For those for whom it is a terrible idea, let us please have what Windows has always had, and what the great Quicken for the Mac 2007 had — FINALLY!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Rick O, drag and drop works most of the time except for "Bills" already in the register.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

@Steven, you should be able to drag a downloaded transaction on top of a scheduled transaction in the register. This will create a "marked as paid" instance of the scheduled transaction and create the next scheduled instance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

You would think so but in my Citi register when the date, amount or payee name is different I get the circle with a slash when dragging and dropping. It doesn't matter which transaction I'm dragging, the downloaded or recurring.  I usually delete the downloaded transaction, but I first change the amount downloaded which is correct, and just clear my already entered recurring transaction.  Then I get the message your clearing a transaction that hasn't been confirmed bla bla bla.  I just downloaded transactions from the 15 to the 25th and 6 matched and 9 I had to manually drag and drop with 2 for recurring that matched and 1 I had to delete as noted above.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

I'll give you a real world example. 

I pay my monthly health insurance payment to Kaiser Permanente and it's categorized as Health Insurance.  When i go visit my doctor or lab or x-ray or buy medication I use Kaiser as the payee.  I categorize these under Medical:Doctor or Medication, or Lab etc.  I've been doing this ever since I started using Quicken Windows and converted those transactions to QM2005 then converted them again when I went to QM2015. 

Quicken has had decades to learn this and it had upto QM2015.  I'm pretty good at entering my transactions so for the last download as noted in my previous comment above, 4 of the 9 where for Kaiser with categories of Medical:XXXX verses what was download under Kaiser Permanente for the exact amounts I had entered  into the register.  This happens all of the time and it gets way worse if I'm lazy for longer period of time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Carolyn Strecker, using the last download filter doesn't help with missed matching to manually entered transactions. So in a recent download I had 14-15 items downloaded but the filter excludes all the information I entered and when they are scattered about in the register which contains 25 lines of data by payee or date it becomes difficult and time consuming to find them and drag and drop.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I see MANY QWin users in this forum bemoaning the lack of a function related to this IDEA request; the ability to delete individual downloaded transactions in the Downloaded Transactions window.

Because of this, I want to make a note for the developers to be sure this gets addressed when this IDEA gets implemented:

In QM2007, this function DOES exist, as seen below:

In fact, this workflow allows the user to Accept, Delete or Unmatch either individual OR groups of transactions, either next to each other or apart. 

As aside, there is also full ability to sort by any column.

When this IDEA is implemented, please be sure to implement the FULL feature set for this workflow, including the QMac feature of manual drag and drop matching.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I see MANY QWin users in this forum bemoaning the lack of a function related to this IDEA request; the ability to delete individual downloaded transactions in the Downloaded Transactions window.

Because of this, I want to make a note for the developers to be sure this gets addressed when this IDEA gets implemented:

In fact, this workflow allows the user to Accept, Delete or Unmatch either individual OR groups of transactions, either next to each other or apart. 

When this IDEA is implemented, please be sure to implement the FULL feature set for this workflow, including the QMac feature of manual drag and drop matching.

Count me as the minority, I guess but I'm happy with the way transactions are automatically entered into the register when they are downloaded.

Maybe had two "mismatches" in about a year.

Personally, I wouldn't want Quicken Mac to change this.  And in my opinion, I can think of 20 other features I would like to see implemented before ever wanting this.

I run Quicken Windows 2017 as well, and whereas I can see the benefits of either, I'm just fine with the handling of downloaded transactions into Quicken Mac 2017. 

So...I vote "NO"!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

If you are not interested in a feature, then simply do not vote for it. Adding a comment that you are happy without it does not add much to the discussion. Since this is currently the 4th most requested feature on this forum, clearly many users see value in this.

And if you are not interested in this feature, then why are you even following this thread?

Anyway, this feature is a request as an OPTION...meaning you do not have to use it if you don't need it...just like it is possible to choose in QWin.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Smayer, I clicked "Like" on your comment, but any improvements to the Mac version of Quicken won't benefit me any more. I'm sticking with QM2017, as I see no features that would prompt me to switch to the new subscription model. Given how long I was able to use older versions of Q, I'm hoping that QM2017 will continue to meet my needs for many years yet! Maybe sometime in the distant future I'll have to get a newer version, and then hopefully it will have greater control over downloaded transactions!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Not to sidetrack this thread...but if you have no need of any new features, that is great. Just keep in mind that if you turn off the auto-renew of the subscription in your Quicken.com account, you effectively get the equivalent of a straight purchase with no long term commitments (the only exception is the Starter subscription).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Oh, so if, for example, Quicken 2018 were to acquire the kind of control over downloaded transactions that we've been discussing, I could buy it, then stop subscription renewals and keep using the software as-is?
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

patty1... no. If you let the subscription lapse, all online and downloading functionality terminates, including Web Connect. You may continue to use the software by adding transactions manually (with the exception of the Starter Edition, which becomes read-only).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Rick, thanks for that information. I'm definitely sticking with QM2017 then!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

To clarify RickO's response to your specific question, the answer is YES you CAN, just not with the STARTER edition...Deluxe and above will work as in the past with auto-renew turned off.

• RickO
    edited January 2018

After re-reading Patty's post, the ambiguity means a yes or no answer is not going to work. So to avoid a yes or no answer, I will restate as follows:

Patty: If you subscribe to QM18 Deluxe or Premier and let your subscription lapse, you can continue to use the software by entering transactions manually, but you will not be able to download or import from any bank or brokerage.

If you subscribe to QM18 Starter Edition, you will also not be able to even add new transactions manually after your subscription expires, but you can still read the already-entered data and generate reports from it. 

All of this is completely independent of whether Quicken eventually implements a Download Acceptance method.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Thanks, guys. Not being able to download transactions from my bank would not be "using the software as-is" by my definition; it would be a downgrade in capabilities. So I'm going to stay with QM2017, which will keep communicating with my bank with no further cost. (At least for the foreseeable future...)
  • Mira Shnier
    Mira Shnier Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    My husband is a consultant, and we receive income from a wide variety of sources.  Many just show up in the bank statement at Mobile Deposit or "WireXXX".  In QWin it's easy to go through these one at a time and enter the correct payee and other relevant info such as Invoice number.  I just didn't see an easy way to do this using the new MAC version, at least not in a way that I could be sure I didn't miss any.  

I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I had too many problems maintaining Parallels and Windows, so I actually have a cheap Windows laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!