QWin 2017: In/Out/What's Left - It is worthless to use....

124»

Comments

• SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited March 2017
    mshiggins said:

Fred, have you seen what they are planning to do with the proposed new subscription model? Would this cash flow feature improvement be enough to get you to go along with the subscription plan's poison pill?

Got it.   I am working on something that I hope will make it clearer.  Many of the "parts" are already in Quicken.  I think it is just a matter of putting them all together.  FTR I am not saying to change it per say but that it could be made to be better.  It is hard when you have some many people with so many experiences with so many different backgrounds that something that what may seem crystal clear to me may be as clear as mud to others.  It doesn't make it bad it just needs a better explanation or two or three to get there. 

When I get "If it's worthless to you, then click the Customize button that's immediately below the words "Home" and remove that view.  No one is making you see it, but yourself", I tend to take it the wrong way, as I think most people would.  Just as the author of that comment would have if I posted the very same comment on one of his ideas.

• edited March 2017
    mshiggins said:

Fred, have you seen what they are planning to do with the proposed new subscription model? Would this cash flow feature improvement be enough to get you to go along with the subscription plan's poison pill?

@QPW:
    I asked how Quicken would get your numbers for the "one offs" and mistertheplague gave examples of how MS Money did it in the forecaster.  Now that I see your posted report I see that it is completely different that what mistertheplague said.
    That's my fault. What I reported was based on how I (and I suspect many/most users) would forecast one-offs using Money's cash flow tools. Like those many/most users I'm inventing, I often want to model the effects of significant variations on an otherwise relatively stable trend. In Snowman's case, at least as reflected in his DOS report, significant variations are the trend, and he's accounting for those variations by budgeting them.

Fine. No problem. In Money, he could enter them as One-Time Item transactions in his Budget Summary window. They'd be added to his advanced budget in the month/year he selected and reflected in his cash flow forecaster accordingly. He could also hide the transactions in his forecaster to see what the effect would be with no effect on his budget.

@Snowman, given how many times you've stated in underlined, bolded, and italicized all caps font that you don't like MS Money, don't use MS Money, etc. you have my condolences as the only actual Money user in this thread. :-)
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited January 11

Well here is my best stab at getting a decent cash balance
    report within what Quicken provides.  Let’s
    assume the date is March 15, 2017.  Current
    Cash is the cash amount as of the origin of the report in the Banking Accounts
    that you want to be considered as a part of the Current Cash balance.  Let’s say that figure is $25,000.

Now we subtract the balance due on all credit cards as of
    March 15, 2017.  The balance due on all
    credit cards is $5,000.  That gives us a
    Current Cash Balance figure of $20,000. 
    This assumes that all credit cards are paid off every month in full.  What about those who do not pay off their
    cards every month?  They need to then
    look at those overdue balances as a loan and figure in payments and interest in
    their budget.  Yes, I know that is a bit
    of work but to get a true idea of where you really are financially you need to
    do this.

Now to get a projected Ending Cash Balance you need to
    consider 4 things for both income and expenses. 
    First, the current month’s budget. 
    Second, actual transactions to date. 
    Third, the amount over or under budget you are.  Finally, amounts in the budget not yet
    received or spent.

For income items the current budget for March is
    $40,000.  Actual income transactions to
    date are $10,000 which leaves you -$30,000 under budget.  You then have $30,000 yet to be
    received. 

For expense items the current budget is $25,000.  Actual expenses to date are $30,000 putting
    you $10,000 over budget.  However, you
    have $10,000 in expenses not yet spent.

For an Ending Cash Balance for March you take $20,000 +
    $30,000-$10,000=$40,000 as you ending cash balance.  That $40,000 becomes the starting cash
    balance for April.  Budgeted income for
    April is $20,000 and budgeted expenses are $35,000 the estimated cash balance
    at the end of April would be $25,000. ($40,000+20,000-$35,000).  You can repeat this for all months remaining
    in the year and go forward as many years as you have put into the budget module
    of Quicken.

This is how you get a true cash balance forecast.  In Reports, you currently can get a report
    that will give the current balance of all the accounts (that you select to be a
    part of this) and a total owed on all of your credit cards (again that you
    select to be included.  Quicken can
    already provide the answer for what is your current cash balance. 

The budget can be extended years into the future so that is
    already in Quicken also.  The only part
    missing is figuring out the current month. 
    You can already create a report that shows income, expenses and how much
    over under budget you are and it should not be two hard to put it all together
    to get the Ending Cash Balance for the month. 

The data for this can be presented numerically in a table and in graph format.  You can add color so that deficit figures are in red and the rest in black. 

None of this requires taking into account "scheduled transactions" or billings or any of that.  Financial considerations for future events should come from the budget, that is what it is there for and nobody really needs to know or understand how all of this works.  They just create a budget and this report can be done for them.  The information will be far better than that from In/Out/What's left or Projected balances because they do not work with all of the information. 

No I know many do not bother with the budget.  Fine for you but there are many of us who take the time to plan out a well thought out budget and if it is not used to its fullest it is really just a waste of space.  What is the first thing any financial planner, or loan officer will ask you when you come to them.  They will ask you "What is your anticipated budget for....", not what are your scheduled transactions or billings.

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

that you want to be considered as a part of the Current Cash balance.  Let’s say that figure is $25,000.

This assumes that all credit cards are paid off every month in full.  What about those who do not pay off their
    do this.

Third, the amount over or under budget you are.  Finally, amounts in the budget not yet
    received or spent.

date are $10,000 which leaves you -$30,000 under budget.  You then have $30,000 yet to be
    received. 

For expense items the current budget is $25,000.  Actual expenses to date are $30,000 putting

$30,000-$10,000=$40,000 as you ending cash balance.  That $40,000 becomes the starting cash
    at the end of April would be $25,000. ($40,000+20,000-$35,000).  You can repeat this for all months remaining
    of Quicken.

This is how you get a true cash balance forecast.  In Reports, you currently can get a report

The data for this can be presented numerically in a table and in graph format.  You can add color so that deficit figures are in red and the rest in black. 

None of this requires taking into account "scheduled transactions" or billings or any of that.  Financial considerations for future events should come from the budget, that is what it is there for and nobody really needs to know or understand how all of this works.  They just create a budget and this report can be done for them.  The information will be far better than that from In/Out/What's left or Projected balances because they do not work with all of the information. 

No I know many do not bother with the budget.  Fine for you but there are many of us who take the time to plan out a well thought out budget and if it is not used to its fullest it is really just a waste of space.  What is the first thing any financial planner, or loan officer will ask you when you come to them.  They will ask you "What is your anticipated budget for....", not what are your scheduled transactions or billings.

I'm confused.

Just use an Excel spreadsheet for your way and call it a day. Your situation is way more complicated than most of us have in real life.  

Plus, most of us aren't looking at $30,000-$40,000 a MONTH in income.

My plan is much simpler.  I'm retired.  I draw "X" amount every month from one of my retirement accounts...the same amount each and every month. 

I spend less than that amount.  Whatever less I spend, get's rolled over to the next month.  If I'm good (and lucky) 12 times my "X" amount equals or is less than my annual cash flow out. 

Not nearly as complicated as yours.  But I'm done...and it only takes me a minute or two to find that info.

An In/Out/What's Left works perfectly for me.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

The "Out" was the charge on the credit card ... not the payment to the card.
    Any amount remaining on the card is irrelevant to In/Out/What's Left.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

The "Out" is not the charge on the credit card.  Yes that is when you expensed it BUT you do not pay it until the bill comes out NEXT month therefore your Current Cash Balance would be off and that is why you subtract the total credit card debt to date to get a REAL cash balance.  It is called float and the bigger the numbers the more impact it has and the more important it is to keep your current cash balance anchored in reality.

I am sorry I used large numbers to make a point.  Let's say (sorry large number again) you have a $2,500 charge.  Your in and out will ONLY look at what has happened in the past and doesn't look properly into the future unless you have scheduled each and every income and expense in the future.  This method that I learned in personal finance class 40 years ago might show that in November you are not going to have enough cash to pay your bills because of that one time $2,500 charge back in March.  Thus they start paying the minimum balance every month and many cases that snowballs because now they have know idea what is going on and the credit card debt gets bigger and bigger until it eats them alive. 

You all seem to miss the point and gmalis1 it may work for you and as I have said before that is great BUT it does not work for me and many with more complex financial situations.  There are many who think like you and before they know it they are bankrupt because they did not plan for a rainy day.  I have seem many people fall into that trap as explained in the previous paragraph.

None of  you  seem to address the point that credit counselors, financial planners, loan officers are NEVER going to ask you what your scheduled transactions are in the future they are going to ask do you have a budget? 

Quicken should be for all potential users and their financial situations. 

"Just use an Excel spreadsheet for your way and call it a day. Your situation is way more complicated than most of us have in real life."  So are you against trying to make Quicken a better program or are you mad at me for suggesting it?   I am interested in helping to make Quicken a better program for all.  Many of you do not want to see change.  I get that but cash forecasting with the current Quicken method is like trying to drive a railroad spike with a finishing hammer.  It is not the right tool for the job.  I get it that the programmers may make a mess of things and that is scary and I get that too.

I can continue to use Excel but it takes a week out of every year to transfer all of the numbers by hand from the Quicken budget to Excel.  That introduces many opportunities for error that I would like to avoid by having the right tool in Quicken to do the job.

• QPWQPW Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

Let me first state that given your explanation, I do think this is "doable" and without messing up things (if we are that lucky), and it isn't quite as much work as I originally thought.

BUT. I disagree with this statement "Quicken should be for all potential users and their financial situations. "

The developers don't have infinite time.  There is always a decision to be made on how many people will benefit from a given feature.  For instance many, many more times than your request there have been requests for the investment accounts to allow of "active traders".  Quicken was never designed for this, and performs badly when any given investment account has a lot of transactions/securities/lots.  With a lot of work/rewriting they might have made Quicken work better for these people, but they have never done that.  And that is because most of their customers don't fall into that category, and as such the effort wouldn't be worth the reward as far as the company is concerned.  They much rather work on features/problems that say over 95% of the people have than on ones that are for 5% of less.

One thing I think got this thread off on the wrong path was to state that In/Out/What's Left is worthless, and that you want it changed.  You probably would have got a better response if you have just stated what you wanted in a feature, instead saying that you want to change something that Quicken users have used for years.

Also I personally think that your system falls into a category of a great tool for "credit counselors, financial planners, loan officers".  As in it seems too complicated for the after person that would be using Quicken.  I can only imagine just how hard it would be to explain to someone how to set this all up.

But in fact my personal opinion matters for only "one vote", it will be up to Quicken Inc to judge the merit of the feature and go from there.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

Let's see.  As alluded to before, since NOT ONE other user who accesses this forum has the same thoughts that you do regarding this post...there is no agreement with you, no outrage that Quicken isn't calculating FUTURE Cash Balance as YOU want it to...I'm guessing no one cares about how YOU calculate it or NEED to predict it.

Sure, it might be great for you to have Quicken predict future cash flow.  It doesn't.  Quicken is personal financial software for the masses.  It is NOT for everyone, as you alluded to.  It can't be.  Everyone's financial situation is different. Not everyone will be pleased the way it works for them.  Quicken CAN'T be that.  It's pretty customizable, but it's not THAT customizable.  It's a $60-75 piece of software.  Not sophisticated financial PLANNING...it's personal finance software.  You even said that most financial planners look at your budget...they don't take into consideration future expenses and payments.  And you expect Quicken to have that crystal ball and predict the future FOR you?

As a dentist, I paid about $6,000 for dental practice management software.  Was it complete, with everything I wanted in the software, customized to the way I wanted it to work?  No.  It was semi-customizable.  Most of the features, I used.  Some, I did not.  Some things I wished I could add, but couldn't because it was what I wanted, not what the majority of users wanted...or not even what the software management team wanted to implement.  And believe me, I made suggestions to the software company.

I had my own business for 36 years.  I used Quicken since the late 1980's in conjunction with my business.  I knew exactly what predicted expenses were coming up at any time in the future.  Using memorized transactions, Quicken laid out, as best it could, my predicted cash flow for the future.  I made a lot of financial decisions, regarding major equipment purchases, remodeling, adding staffing...all thanks to Quicken.  But sometimes unpredictable expenses or a downturn in production throws a monkey wrench into those predictions.  Luckily for me, that wasn't something that was catastrophic, but it did matter to my bottom line.

Most people, in general, have no idea what their expenses and cash flow will be in the future...six months, a year, five years, 30 years down the road.  Some don't even know what their cash flow is NEXT WEEK.  Because life isn't like a business.  There are all sorts of variables in life that occur that can really change your entire financial picture.  Some people live paycheck to paycheck, either because they have to or they feel they can spend whatever they have.  Others max out their credit cards with no regard or thought to being able to pay them back.  Most people either don't plan or can't plan for anything out of the ordinary.  Catastrophic events, such as illness and medical expenses or replacing a dead car or unemployment, can occur.  Those can't be predicted...so predicting future cash flow is not reasonable for most of us.  

You're a very bright person.  You've obviously given this a LOT of thought and appear to know how to reliably predict cash flow associated with your budget in your instance and you're very centered on how YOU need Quicken to work for YOU to be the product YOU want it to be.  You can submit your suggestion to Quicken.  You can even vote up this post promoting your suggestion.  

But Quicken implementing your suggestion?  That's not going to happen.  Why, because there is NO demand for it...aside from you, apparently.  Quicken has done it's best to lay out the foundation of tracking your expenses, allowing to enter your future "predictable" bills and showing your cash flow using that information.  It can't go any further than that...it just can't.  

I'm guessing you have choices, since I don't see this to be anything Quicken will want to tackle in the immediate or intermediate future (they have enough problems as it is).

1 You can continue using your Excel spreadsheet.

2 You can contact Quicken and make your suggestion heard.

3 You can, personally or contract someone to, write better software, market it and watch all the profits roll in.  

4 You can write software and market it to Quicken to "add on" to their product, such as the Zillow integration, Credit Score and Morningstar stock analysis is in Quicken. 

5 You can move on to another product that meet's your needs better.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation.  It's beating a dead horse.  Your comments and suggestions and insight really are appreciated.

Just don't expect Quicken to implement them. 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

Snowman,
    the EXPENSE (i.e., the "out")  is when the charge is made on your credit card.  That's simple accounting.  If you have a tax-related charge on 12/31/16, it's included on your 2016 taxes ... NOT your 2017 taxes (when you paid the card bill).

What you're claiming as "out" is actually a Cash Flow item ... NOT an Income/Expense item. 
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

QPW,  Agreed about I think it is doable, do we want the present team working to fix it maybe and maybe not.  :-). 

I should have said Quicken should be for all potential personal financial situations and their users. 

NotACPA, I think we are in agreement about the out, it is a cash flow item and as I tried to point out the In/Out/What's left tool pretends to be that when it is not because it does not take into account future income and expense items that are in the budget which is a part of cash flow.    If you look where it is located in the Customize view it is under Planning; Budget, In/Out/What's left and so on.   It is not in the Banking Section.  For what it does it should be under the Banking section.  By being in the Planning section it is pretending to be a cash flow item taking into account future income and expenses from the budget which of course it does not.

gmalis1, no I do not expect Quicken to predict the future for me.  I would like a tool so that I can put in my relevant information and then let Quicken do the math for me.  Yes there are unexpected things and I have "funds" set aside for most of those unexpected things.  I learned most of this in college 40+  years ago.  With this tool you can see a bad trend coming and deal with it sooner rather than later.  My motto has always been under estimate income and over estimate expenses (Putting money away each month for those "unexpected" events). 

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions.  I do not see Quicken acting on this any time soon.  :-(  They have their hands full with the R5 release.  I only want to see Quicken improve and maybe be a personal financial package for those of us the have a more complex situation too   :-)

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

I'd just point out that your $35K monthly expense estimate is based on X number of scheduled transactions projected during the period. Any good budget is derived by categorizing scheduled transactions over the budget period or reserving part of a cash surplus for something like a vacation.

I'm not against Quicken constructing a report like you describe. Just don't mess with the In/Out and Projected Balances modules as they now exist. I'm more interested in real dollars flowing from actual payees as opposed to what category they fit into.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

I'd just point out that your $35K monthly expense estimate is based on X number of scheduled transactions projected during the period. Any good budget is derived by categorizing scheduled transactions over the budget period or reserving part of a cash surplus for something like a vacation.

I'm not against Quicken constructing a report like you describe. Just don't mess with the In/Out and Projected Balances modules as they now exist. I'm more interested in real dollars flowing from actual payees as opposed to what category they fit into.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited March 2017
    Snowman said:

do this.

received or spent.

received. 

of Quicken.

No, the $35K is not based on any scheduled transactions.  It is a budget no scheduled transactions enter into it at all.  After all utility bills (electric, gas, etc.) are never the same so are impossible to "schedule".  The same for gas for your car, you do not have any scheduled transactions for them because they are different amounts on different days.  A well constructed budget is based in part on past experience and a seat of the pants feeling to produce the best number. 

That is where the In/Out/What's left starts to come apart.  Also you have no real control over what accounts that the tool is taking into account.  You can change what it includes or excludes but it does it globally when it should only do it for this tool. The selection of what accounts to use should be this the method used when customizing reports. 

I would prefer it not take into account my version of savings or cash surplus.  The In/Out/What's Left would use the savings/cash surplus cash and you could end up with nothing in the cash surplus account because the In/Out/What's left tool is telling you that you are OK cash wise BUT if the tool is tapped into that cash surplus account you may not be as well off as you think you are.

If it would show a beginning cash balance for each month add and subtract income/expenses to the current date than take into account the amounts budgeted for the month and if you are over or under that budget, coming up with an ending balance you would have what I am talking about.

I am confused by your closing statement "I'm more interested in real dollars flowing from actual payees as opposed to what category they fit into."  My method takes all of that into account in a more realistic manner.  Again if you have budgeted properly the budget should have accommodations for all the little things that can't be scheduled but it CAN be budgeted for.  That is where I think we are looking at this differently.  For example I have a category for our house "Miscellaneous".  That it to cover those Gotcha expenses.  Some months I am way below the budget amount, (the difference rolling over to the next month), but there are months where we are over the budgeted amount..  Over the year it "averages" out.   For the record the effects of the flaws in the In/Out/What's left can be cumulative and in May 2017 it shows that I will have a much larger cash balance than I will actually have at the end of May.

Oh well, thanks for listening.  :-)

• James WhiteJames White Member
    edited December 2017
    Snowman,
    I came across this thread because I am very frustrated with the lack of ability to customize In/Out/What's Left.  It could be really useful, but I agree with you 100% about needing to select the accounts.

Case-in-point:  my tax-deferred investment accounts (i.e.- 401-K, IRA, pension, HSA) have very large balances, and I will receive distributions (dividends, cap gains) that are hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.  Why, oh why, would this untouchable cash ever be included in a cash flow analysis??  I CANNOT touch it until I friggin' retire in 15 years, so I want to completely EXCLUDE it from the In/Out/What's Left.  Hence, Quicken should let us customize the accounts that contribute to In/Out/What's Left.

In Dec-2017, when all the end of year distributions occurred in my tax-deferred retirement accounts, I had $7,000 (wow/heck yeah!) in dividends/capital gains.  This was included as "Income" by In/Out/What's Left. How STUPID...

James
  • edited December 2017

Snowman,
    I came across this thread because I am very frustrated with the lack of ability to customize In/Out/What's Left.  It could be really useful, but I agree with you 100% about needing to select the accounts.

Case-in-point:  my tax-deferred investment accounts (i.e.- 401-K, IRA, pension, HSA) have very large balances, and I will receive distributions (dividends, cap gains) that are hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.  Why, oh why, would this untouchable cash ever be included in a cash flow analysis??  I CANNOT touch it until I friggin' retire in 15 years, so I want to completely EXCLUDE it from the In/Out/What's Left.  Hence, Quicken should let us customize the accounts that contribute to In/Out/What's Left.

In Dec-2017, when all the end of year distributions occurred in my tax-deferred retirement accounts, I had $7,000 (wow/heck yeah!) in dividends/capital gains.  This was included as "Income" by In/Out/What's Left. How STUPID...

James

If you have your dividends and capital gains reinvested then you shouldn't be seeing any of those amounts in your In/Out/What's Left.

YOUR INVESTMENT TRANSACTIONS MUST BE SET TO REINVEST.

I have thousands in reinvested dividends and capital gains in retirement and taxable accounts.  NONE of them show in the In/Out/What's Left pane.

Also, click on the gear in the upper right of In/Out/What's Left and make sure you have Account Balances checked and not Spending.  This will get you the correct amount to show.

Since this is a Cash Flow pane, Quicken will only calculate using your Savings, Checking and Credit Card accounts.  
  • James WhiteJames White Member
    edited December 2017

Snowman,

James

Good tip on the Account Balances vs. Spending.  When I select Spending it ignores all the retirement accounts as it should.

"Since this is a Cash Flow pane, Quicken will only calculate using your Savings, Checking and Credit Card accounts."  I wish it worked this way, but alas, it does not.  I went in and checked my 401-K account, and it's definitely setup as a "401-K".

Bottom line, the request I have for Quicken is to allow the user to select the accounts.  We have broad customization of reports, and I would like the same for the Views.

Just my opinion...  

James
124»