Stock Shares Disappeared

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken 2015 Deluxe: With no transaction history to explain it. a 346 share stock disappeared between 6/30/13 and 7/1/13. There was no transaction in those dates are any transaction in all dates to explain the disappearance. It's just gone! This appears to be a software glitch. Can you anyone suggest how to resolve it?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    1) Are there any Placeholder transactions in the account?

About Placeholders

"N/A" in
    certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have
    Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced
    with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded
    here..

For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from
    anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for
    "placeholder".

Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found
    here: https://www.quicken.com/search/site/placeholder

2) Validate

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate
    File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the
    copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

3) Reenter the missing transaction.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply. About 2 months prior to the disappearance date there was a corporate name change in the same stock. There appears to be a reminder entry but I don't see any Placeholder entries. I checked each of the 4 entries related to the name change and there's no placeholder. Also, the shares don't disappear until fully 5 weeks later. If I view 6/30/13, shares are there and accurate. If I view 7/1/13, gone.

I rebuilt the indexes and repaired etc... No change. The quickest solution I could figure is to simply add the shares back in manually with a current date. If I try adding to that date 7/1/13 when they disappeared, it does say a Placeholder for the stock already exists for the missing shares but I can't find this placeholder. Where should I see it? It's not showing on the investment account's page. Clearing something isn't showing right.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bruce GZ said:

Thanks for the quick reply. About 2 months prior to the disappearance date there was a corporate name change in the same stock. There appears to be a reminder entry but I don't see any Placeholder entries. I checked each of the 4 entries related to the name change and there's no placeholder. Also, the shares don't disappear until fully 5 weeks later. If I view 6/30/13, shares are there and accurate. If I view 7/1/13, gone.

I rebuilt the indexes and repaired etc... No change. The quickest solution I could figure is to simply add the shares back in manually with a current date. If I try adding to that date 7/1/13 when they disappeared, it does say a Placeholder for the stock already exists for the missing shares but I can't find this placeholder. Where should I see it? It's not showing on the investment account's page. Clearing something isn't showing right.

Edit -- Preferences -- Investment Transactions // Check to Show Hidden Transactions.

That should make the placeholder appear.  

Then I would
    Backup the file (just in case)
    Delete the placeholder
    Delete and re-enter any subsequent share-change (Buys, Sells, Adds, Removes, Reinvests, etc.) transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Bruce GZ said:

Excellent, found the errant placeholders but don't understand why placeholders actually change the quantities if it's only a placeholder. Either way, learned something good about Quicken with the hidden placeholders. Thank you very much for your help. Happy new year!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bruce GZ said:

@Bruce GZ, you can read up on placeholders in the help files or searching these discussions. The basic principle is that somehow Quicken got the instruction that on 7/1/13, your share count was zero. The placeholder forces that share count on that date. The aspect I am missing is that why it was hidden from you.
This discussion has been closed.