Bill Reminder -- non-recurring bills?

I'm using Quicken 2017 for Mac and considering how much money I spent to buy it earlier this year, I have no intention of upgrading to 2018 anytime soon.

My question is is there a way to enter bills as one-time events rather than as recurring ones?

The reason I need this functionality is that I am trying to use Bill Pay in a different way than is intended -- to track not just my incoming bills (actually expenses), but also incoming payments. I'm a freelancer so I get paid random amounts at random intervals. I've figured out that if I put incoming payments in as positive bills and I list all my upcoming bills (expenses) as well, I get the most accurate reflection of my financial situation at any time and I can make sure that upcoming payments are all properly allocated.

This is clunky, but after a certain company (*cough* YNAB *cough*) betrayed its customers and changed the entire methodology of its software, this is the best way I've come up with of tracking my cashflow and allocate income using software meant to track expenditures rather than truly help budget. This is working well for me, but inputting the data is getting to the point of being infuriating because I get the annoying popup asking me to set up the recurring bills and then the data doesn't "take" and I have to reenter multiple times, then delete the recurring occurrences I didn't need in the first place.

Comments

• J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My question is is there a way to enter bills as one-time events rather than as recurring ones?
    Yes - in the existing scheduling dialog, look for the "Ends After"

See Screen Shotimage
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    yes you can...see this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3TthB2xhc&t=232s

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited December 2018
    WOW. I don't know how much I've poked around and completed missed that dropdown box! Still way more steps than there needs to be, but I'll take it. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the screen shot!
    edited December 2017

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

GREAT video. I am going to watch the whole thing (but appreciate you linking to exactly the moment relevant to my question). Thanks!
  • edited December 2018
    How about just entering the transaction in the register with a future date?

Would that work? Saves you setting up a one time transaction in the Bills section.

Just make sure you Customize the register to show the future dated transaction.
    edited December 2017

ywc

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited December 2017

Would that work? Saves you setting up a one time transaction in the Bills section.

I've tried that but I don't get the projected balance I get using the Bills screen.
    edited December 2017

That is odd...Projected balance should account for all future-dated transactions, whether scheduled or entered into the register. If this is happening, this is not correct.

edited December 2017

This has got to be the most non-intuitive software I've downloaded in years.  Your comment made me look at the register more closely and I just noticed the tiny little triangle that brings up a dropdown menu that lets me see a projected balance. But I still find that the Bills screen as extra info in that you can see both today's balance and the projected balance for a range of dates at the same time (instead of switching back and forth) and you can see an upcoming total.
    edited December 2017

But that projected balance in the Bills screen should include the value of the future-dated transaction in the register if the date range includes it. Does it?

edited December 2017

Yes, it has it (now that I've found it), but, again, I have to go between screens to get information I get on just one screen on the Bills page.
  • edited December 2017

If you enter the future one time transaction in the register, and you have the “Balance” column showing in the register, how do you NOT see a running balance? So you get today’s current balance and the future balance...all in the same register.
    edited December 2017

On the main register screen, you can see at the top of the screen today's balance OR the projected balance for a certain date. You cannot see both at the same time. You have to toggle back and forth. On the Bills page, you get both numbers at the top of the screen. I think what you're saying is that I could scroll down to a specific date to see the balance on that date, which is fine, but I prefer to have that information right at the top of the Bill page.

I have huge issues with Quicken messing up my data when I start to play too much with entries, even just scrolling, and I don't trust it. So the less I have to play in my actual register, the better. I like that I can set some dates in the Bill screen and see everything I want right there at the top of the screen.
    edited December 2017

Thx for clarifying...yes, in the current versions of QMac, you can only see one of the total balances at a time, unlike what is possible in QM2007 which shows both at the same time. Could be a request via an IDEA post? I thought of creating this but have not gotten around to it, as it is low on my priority list.

• edited December 2017

Please tell me how going to the individual register DOESN'T give you what you need?

Here...you get Today's Balance in the upper right.  

You get your "Projected Balance" with future transactions from the Bill reminder entered (those above the blue line).

And you get your Current Balance again with the transactions just below the blue line separating Today from the future.  
    edited December 2017

Again, because I have to scroll down to see the right date or else do something like select the current week or month at the top, but I'd still have to scroll -- I have over a dozen accounts and hundreds of transactions every week. It's just way more steps than going to the Bill screen and seeing everything I want right there at the top. I can also customise the Bill screen to have fewer columns than I have in my register. I guess what I'm getting to is that the Bill screen is a great "summary" look and my register is more of a "detailed" look.

My finances are super complex -- Quicken tracks both my personal income and expenses as well as those of my small business. I also have bank accounts in three countries and am dealing with at least three currencies at a time (I had nine in 2016 and 2017!). So a really clean screen like the Bill screen that at a glance and very little manipulation shows me what I need is really helpful.
    edited December 2017

Also, we shall never again speak of QM2007. ;)
    edited December 2017

I understand complex financial needs...

So hey, what you got against QM2007? I still use it happily ;-P  QM2018 still does not meet my complex needs.

edited December 2017

My issue with QM2007 is the same as I have with just every other personal finance software available for Macs -- the developers have no respect for their customers and either stop development or completely revamp it every couple of versions. With QM2007 specifically, add in that the price was insulting  when compared to the features available on the Windows version.

I ended up paying hundreds of dollars for Filemaker Pro to manage my invoicing because I couldn't trust any invoicing app to be supported for more than a year. I was going to do something similar with my finances -- go for a well established extremely expensive overkill accounting package, but once I saw that Quicken had moved to a developer who seemed to understand Mac users, I took a chance and moved here.

I'm not happy with QM2017, but I have literally tried every single other alternative and this is the only one that had anywhere close to all the features I need, an interface I like, and in which I have a modicum of faith that I won't have to start all over again in a few years after the developer gets bored...
  • edited December 2017

I find the Bill Reminders doesn't get me anywhere close to what my balances are or should be.  Not sure what accounts are included and excluded there, but my numbers are not even close to representative of what I have or will have in the future.

Today's Balance of "what"?  Projected Balance?

I only wish I have $400,649.58 in "liquid" accounts (ie savings + checking less credit cards).

That number means ZERO to me.  
    edited December 2017

You can see at the top that you're looking all accounts. I set that drop down menu to only reflect the accounts that actually affect my cash flow (ie. my cash accounts).
    edited December 2017

it's ALL accounts, so would be sort of a projected net worth...
    If you are looking for liquidity balance, you have to filter your accounts selection in that window.

• edited December 2017

Thanks.  That would explain (partially) the greatly inflated balance totals.