Quicken 2017: Added stock symbol, doesn't appear on list so can't enter activity

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

I recently purchased a new mutual fund in my HSA so needed to add the stock symbol. 

I started a new bought transaction for the fund and Quicken tried to look up the symbol based on the name.  Vanguard Wellington.  It spun for a couple minutes without finding it (yes I'm connected to the internet) and then I chose the option to enter the symbol manually.  VWELX.  All seemed normal (except that Quicken couldn't find the symbol).

So of course I had to then start over to add the transaction.  But the fund name didn't appear on the drop-down list and when I typed in the complete name Quicken tried to look up the symbol again.  It spun for a minute again and when I chose to manually enter the symbol it said that I already had a stock with that symbol.  I saved my work, closed and reopened Quicken.  Same behavior. 

When I go into Investing, Tools, Security List the fund name doesn't appear on that list.  But Quicken won't let me add it again so it must exist _somewhere_.

Any ideas?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I wasn't able to add that fund either.   I wonder if it's because VWELX is closed to new investors?  (But, belying that, certainly new Q users who've held the fund for a while should be able to add it to their copy of Q).

As a side point, does the VWELX in your HSA have the same price/quote as the retail fund?  Because, in my wife's HSA, several funds have the same name and ticker as retail funds ... but NOT the same price.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In the security list view, you have checked the box "Show Hidden Securities", right?
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I wasn't able to add that fund either.   I wonder if it's because VWELX is closed to new investors?  (But, belying that, certainly new Q users who've held the fund for a while should be able to add it to their copy of Q).

As a side point, does the VWELX in your HSA have the same price/quote as the retail fund?  Because, in my wife's HSA, several funds have the same name and ticker as retail funds ... but NOT the same price.

I checked the details of VWELX, via my E*Trade account, and it states "open to existing shareholders only".
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Wellington is not closed, it's just not showing up in Quicken's lookup. The Admiral version VWENX is not showing up either. Nothing that begins with VWE is showing up in Quicken's lookup. Hopefully that will correct itself in a few days.

However try this:

Type Vanguard in the search box
    click on Additional matches
    Select the Mutual fund tab (there will be 146 matches)
    type <space>wellington (i.e. the space bar then wellington)
    There will be 6 matches including the fund you are looking for

Weird!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Wow, THANKS to everyone for the fast replies.  It's nice to know that it wasn't something I was messing up on.

I knew that Vanguard Wellington is closed to new investors but Quicken should still allow the ticker.  I hope they're monitoring this and will address the problem.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Wellington is not closed, it's just not showing up in Quicken's lookup. The Admiral version VWENX is not showing up either. Nothing that begins with VWE is showing up in Quicken's lookup. Hopefully that will correct itself in a few days.

However try this:

Weird!

Of those 6 that appear through that process, only 2 (VWENX and VWELX) are VWE... tickers.  The other four VWE...s (VWEAX, VWEHX, VWEST, and VWETX) still do not appear in that grouping.  

Oddity Two:  While the New Security icon is spinning around looking for VWENX, I went ahead and clicked the "Click Here" for a manual addition.  Surprise!  the next window is populated with the Vanguard Wellington info.  It is finding it, just not displaying it.  

If you get to the frame with the Mutual Funds tab Jim mentioned, you can enter any of the six VWE... tickers and the lookup finds the correct fund.  It does need to be the full 5-character ticker.  That is an alternative to the "Vanguard Wellington" search Jim identified. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

However try this:

Weird!

This solved my problem!  I added the symbol to the list using the steps you gave and then it appears in the drop down when I entered the Bought information.  Thanks!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Jawn,

I was able to successfully add this security.  Have you had any luck adding it into Quicken?
    Let us know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Looks like it is working now. Did anything change that you are aware of, Tyka?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Jim,

There weren't any changes that I am aware of I just tested it out.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Followed the steps from q.lurker and it worked.
This discussion has been closed.