Problem emailing invoices in new version of Quicken HB&R 2018

I have used Quicken Home & Business (Win) for years to send invoices by email, using Outlook desktop (2016 version Office 365 32 bit) version.  Upon upgrading to 2018 Home, Business, & Rental, hitting "Email" button results in an "Email sent successfully" msg, but the email does not show up in Outlook as a draft email as previous versions did. 

As the new 2018 HB&R allows some new features, including sending the invoice as a PDF attachment, and editing the email address and text, I have tried all combinations (PDF attachment, no PDF attachment, different email addresses for sender and recipient, HTML & plain text format), all with same result -- ie, no email shows up in Outlook as a draft email to be sent out, and no email is received from Quicken when I email a test invoice to myself.  

Online chat with Quicken Support yielded no answers other than to use the workaround of printing invoice to PDF and manually attaching it to an email using email app (Outlook). 

How does new 2018 Quicken HB&R handle email, is there a way to change email settings, and how do I resolve this problem short of switching back to Quicken 2017? 

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Tim,

I've seen this issue happen with a few customers in the newest release of Quicken for 2018.  Are there by any chance any pending updates for the Windows operating system? 

If there are no updates for Windows, I would recommend resetting the Printer Settings in Quicken.  Sometimes when upgrading the previous settings can get lost causing failed printing or sent invoices.
    To reset the printer settings, open the File tab in the upper left corner of Quicken > File Operations > Validate & Repair.  In the window that opens, mark the very bottom box to "Reset all Quicken Printer Settings" and click "Ok".

image  image 

When finished, close and re-open Quicken.   You may need to re-assign your printer after these steps, open the File menu again > Printer Setup > For Printing Invoices and select the appropriate printer from the list.  Then please try to email the invoice once more.

To answer the second part of your question, below is the the new look for invoices and how the send email flow should go.

When "Email" is selected on the invoice form, the HTML or Plain text dialogue box opens.  Make the desired selection and then Ok again.  You should then see an Email Preview window which lets you ensure all information is correct and when you are ready to send, click "Send Email." 

image image

You should then see another dialogue box with an "Email Sent Successfully" message.

I hope this information is beneficial and please let us know how it goes with the emails not sending or being received.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    OK. You did not answer TimHandymans question.

I have the same concern. For years I've used Quicken and when I emailed an invoice, a copy of the email would appear in my sent folder of my Windows Live Mail software.

Where can I see the sent emails for my invoices in Quicken 2018?

how can I add a second email address, or cc, or bcc ? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hi Tim,

I've seen this issue happen with a few customers in the newest release of Quicken for 2018.  Are there by any chance any pending updates for the Windows operating system? 

If there are no updates for Windows, I would recommend resetting the Printer Settings in Quicken.  Sometimes when upgrading the previous settings can get lost causing failed printing or sent invoices.
    To reset the printer settings, open the File tab in the upper left corner of Quicken > File Operations > Validate & Repair.  In the window that opens, mark the very bottom box to "Reset all Quicken Printer Settings" and click "Ok".

image  image 

When finished, close and re-open Quicken.   You may need to re-assign your printer after these steps, open the File menu again > Printer Setup > For Printing Invoices and select the appropriate printer from the list.  Then please try to email the invoice once more.

To answer the second part of your question, below is the the new look for invoices and how the send email flow should go.

When "Email" is selected on the invoice form, the HTML or Plain text dialogue box opens.  Make the desired selection and then Ok again.  You should then see an Email Preview window which lets you ensure all information is correct and when you are ready to send, click "Send Email." 

image image

You should then see another dialogue box with an "Email Sent Successfully" message.

I hope this information is beneficial and please let us know how it goes with the emails not sending or being received.

Thank you,

Sarah

Sara,
    You did not answer TimHandymans question.

I have the same concern. For years I've used Quicken and when I emailed an invoice, a copy of the email would appear in my sent folder of my Windows Live Mail software.

Where can I see the sent emails for my invoices in Quicken 2018?

how can I add a second email address, or cc, or bcc ? 
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Donna,

I apologize if my response was unclear.  Previously Quicken defaulted to emailing invoices through the Microsoft email client, i.e Outlook.  In the newest release of Quicken for 2018 there is a built-in email client so it no longer sends emails through Outlook and no longer creates a copy of the email in Outlook's sent folder.

Currently there is not an option to add a secondary email address, cc or bcc. If emailing invoices to multiple recipients, I would recommend sending the invoice to your Outlook (or any) email address first and then forwarding on to the multiple recipients.  That workaround will also create a copy in the Outlook sent folder.

I'd like to submit this and the creation of a "sent" folder within Quicken to the Development teams as a feature request on your behalf however I was curious about the scenarios that would require an invoice to be sent to multiple recipients.  Would you mind sharing a little information with us about how you use the email invoice feature, especially in regards to emailing multiple recipients?

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Ron Kernan
    Ron Kernan Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hi Tim,

image  image 

image image

Thank you,

Sarah

Same problem, can't email invoices. I get Printer not activated,Error code -30. And, "the pdf file  that you want to replace is in us by some other application. Please close application and try again." All that's running is Quicken. I've tried the validate and repair printer settings several times. It wants a quicken pdf driver. Where might that be? it all worked just fine with 2017.
  • TimHandyman
    TimHandyman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I was able to get Quicken to email invoices with attached PDF by following the steps Sarah suggested, and also by making sure the Quicken PDF printer can print in on a 64 bit system using this solution: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/printing/not-able-to-print-to-pdf-on-windows-64-bit-sy...

Not sure which did the trick.

Re: the new built-in email client Sarah mentioned in response to Donna's and my question, I would love to see an option to return to emailing invoices through an email client like Outlook, plus "sent" folder in Quicken.

Here are some reasons for sending invoices to an email client, which I suspect other users would agree with.  Using an email client:

1. Allows greater control over the content and format of the email, including adding other attachments, using template language and signatures, requesting a "Read Receipt"

2. Allows sending to multiple clients as main addressee, cc:, or bcc (helpful when multiple parties need to approve or be aware of an invoice, or when you want to send a copy of the invoice internally);

3. Allows use of Contacts or similar contact info databases, as opposed to the limited Address Book in Quicken (and by the way it would be REALLY helpful if the Quicken Address Book could be synced with Outlook and other common contact databases -- there used to be an Intellisync tool for this purpose but it disappeared several versions ago.  Entering client info into an Address book manually gets pretty tiresome)

4. Creates a record of the sent emails.

In the meantime, I will use the workaround of sending emails to myself and then editing and resending in Outlook, but that sort of defeats the purpose of adding the internal email client to Quicken.

One thing which would make the internal Quicken email client easier to use is a way to set a default sender's email address -- Quicken appears to use the email associated with Quicken ID.

Thanks for your replies and submitting these for feature consideration.  I hope they can be added soon!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Why send an invoice to more than one person? Many businesses want invoices sent to the business owner or manager as well as the bookkeeper or accounts payable office. A CC line is absolutely needed as is the ability to modify the default text beyond the "We appreciate your business. Here is your invoice."  That is very amateurish.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Thank you all for your feedback. You can edit the invoice body. You can edit the text above the invoice before sending the email.

I understand your concerns about CC, BCC, Sent emails, Syncing quicken address book with outlook and other clients. We will look into that and get back.

Thank you for your inputs. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Donna,

I apologize if my response was unclear.  Previously Quicken defaulted to emailing invoices through the Microsoft email client, i.e Outlook.  In the newest release of Quicken for 2018 there is a built-in email client so it no longer sends emails through Outlook and no longer creates a copy of the email in Outlook's sent folder.

Currently there is not an option to add a secondary email address, cc or bcc. If emailing invoices to multiple recipients, I would recommend sending the invoice to your Outlook (or any) email address first and then forwarding on to the multiple recipients.  That workaround will also create a copy in the Outlook sent folder.

I'd like to submit this and the creation of a "sent" folder within Quicken to the Development teams as a feature request on your behalf however I was curious about the scenarios that would require an invoice to be sent to multiple recipients.  Would you mind sharing a little information with us about how you use the email invoice feature, especially in regards to emailing multiple recipients?

Thank you,

Sarah

You should submit a feature request to give a user the option of either using the built-in email client or using the Microsoft email client similar to QuickBooks. The problems with using the built-in email client are:

1. My business email address is different from my Quicken ID email address. I now have to create a new Quicken ID using my business email address which I don't want to do.

2. No CC or BCC in the built-in email client.

3. No Sent Items folder in the built-in email client.

This is other case of a programmer thinking they have a great idea but it doesn't really work very well in the real world.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hello Donna,

Thank you,

Sarah

I agree to your comment on CC, BCC & Sent items. But you can change the 'sender' email ID on the window before sending the email. So you don't have to create a quicken ID with the business email.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I have been a Quicken user since 1983 with the introduction of the very first DOS version. I have been a HUGE fan.

But, something happened to Intuit a few years ago and I suspect it was sold to an India-based tech company. What used to be exceptionally intuitive software -- thus the name Intuit -- Quicken, Quickbooks and TurboTax have become very difficult, complicated programs to use.

It is almost as those the India-based developers are creating software for American businesses based on what they "think" the firms need or how business must be done in India. A better choice would be to actually speak with American business owners to better understand their processes AND THEN develop software to meet those needs.

The key to using Intuit products today is that users must be very intuitive on their own in figuring out workarounds to the many limitations of the software -- but only after verifying their identity every single time users open an application. Sad to watch what has happened to a once-great company.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018
    Hard to believe that you've been using Quicken since 1983 when you don't know that Quicken was spun off from Intuit in 2016. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018

Hello Donna,

Thank you,

Sarah

Why should I have to change the sender email address and Subject for every invoice I send? I should be able to change it once so that it's the same for all future invoices.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hello Donna,

Thank you,

Sarah

I agree with Greg.

A few thoughts along the same line:

1. I send 100+ invoices a month and would be grateful to not have to edit the subject and greeting for each one. A customizable email template would be fabulous and would save me hours of work.

Consider Including in the template an option for how I want my clients name to appear. (First Last name options). Editing the subject line, changing the customer name to first name only, and recomposing the note took 50-60 seconds per email. Multiply that times 100+ and that cost an additional hour and a half of work just editing.

2. It would also be helpful if my link preferences could be permanently saved in my memorized invoices. (I was shocked that thy aren’t.) My clients receive recurring invoices and I include two links with every invoice. (PayPal and my website).

3. And yes, I need a copy of sent emails saved somewhere. Whether in Quicken or in my Sent file. It’s a ‘must have’ for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hello Donna,

Thank you,

Sarah

@Greg & @Rene: Great inputs. We'll work on allowing you to create a template with all your preferences / links. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your inputs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Another reason to be able to utilize the email client, is that it does not spoof the email address (or rather utilizing 'send as'). Purchasing 2018 was primarily motivated by emailing of invoices directly from Quicken.

Also, is there a way to have invoices automatically be emailed out on set date?

When sending email, I have my quicken account setup with my personal domain 'quickenIDdomain.com' (bold and italics below), and I try to send via my company domain 'companydomain.com' (bold and italics below) it goes to the users junk mail every time. I have tried sending to office 365 and gmail (main ones my clients use). This would be wholly unacceptable as I can't guarantee that the mail arrives. Email header excerpt below.

Authentication-Results: spf=pass (sender IP is 168.245.4.15)
    smtp.mailfrom=qcsemail.quicken.com; quickenIDdomain.com; dkim=pass (signature was verified) header.d=quicken.com;quickenIDdomain.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=companydomain.com; Received-SPF: Pass (protection.outlook.com: domain of qcsemail.quicken.com designates 168.245.4.15 as permitted sender)
  • Stuart Schmitt
    Stuart Schmitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I finally got Quicken 2018 to work yesterday 1/30 and just tried to send my first email invoice.  I agree with all the inputs above.  This sucks.  Using outlook to send my invoice I could insert my signature information including method of payment and I had a record of sent email invoices.  Now it looks like I have to send all my invoices to myself and resend them using outlook.  I downloaded quicken 2018 because quicken said I would no longer be able download my banking statements using quicken 2015.  I just spent $150 for quicken 2018 and I can't use it.  Is there any way I can trade 2018 for 2017?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018
    You can print your invoices as PDF's and then email them as attachments using Outlook.
  • Stuart Schmitt
    edited January 2018
    I send all my email invoices as text because I can add my payment info using my saved outlook insert signature block and a lot of people don't like to open attachments.  I just sent myself a quicken invoice and it had a pdf attachment when received.  I hope quicken is working to fix this problem...quickly.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018
    Don't hold your breath! You might be better off trying to find a copy of Quicken 2017 H&B.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

You must not have read Quicken Sangeetha's response from several weeks ago. They are working on improving that.

IMHO, this is one of those changes that look good in theory, but in practice the results suck. Those changes must not have been properly field tested, to see if they meet customers needs.

One step forward, two steps back.

:-(

• Stuart Schmitt
    edited January 2018

Thank you all for your feedback. You can edit the invoice body. You can edit the text above the invoice before sending the email.

I understand your concerns about CC, BCC, Sent emails, Syncing quicken address book with outlook and other clients. We will look into that and get back.

Are you working to fix this problem?  When might we expect to see an update?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018
    I made the same complaints during beta testing but I guess they fell upon deaf ears. Programmers always know better than users. Just look at the "features" that were added to Windows 10 by Microsoft programmers. Many have left me feeling WTF were they thinking!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

You must not have read Quicken Sangeetha's response from several weeks ago. They are working on improving that.

IMHO, this is one of those changes that look good in theory, but in practice the results suck. Those changes must not have been properly field tested, to see if they meet customers needs.

If I had $20 every time some Intuit bot replied to a suggestion thanking me for the input with a promise of passing it on to developers for inclusion in a future release, I'd have enough money to pay for a bookkeeper. Rest assured, if enough people complain, there is a 10 to 15 percent chance it will be corrected -- however, you'll have to pay another $150 to get the new release. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited April 2018
    UKR said:

I don't you'd be able to pay a bookkeeper since Intuit hasn't owned Quicken since 2016.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    UKR said:

Interesting. That's about the time the product started going downhill.
  • Stuart Schmitt
    edited March 2018
    Do you think quicken will let me trade in my 2018 for a 2017 version?  Haven't found a way to even ask them about it.  20 minute wait to chat or answer my call.  If I cancel the 2018 is there a way to get back my 2015?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2018
    I doubt it. 2018 has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you purchased 2015 from when Intuit owned Quicken, you should be able to sign-in to your Intuit account and download 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

We are  trying to get CC / BCC & Sent items in, latest by May. But please understand that there is a possibility of further delay by a month or so. I'll keep this thread updated on the developments. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    We are working on CC, BCC. But we are finding it tough to implement the 'Sent' mails. So, I wanted to know if it'll work if we gave an option for you like 'Send me a copy' that you can turn on in your preferences and we'll send a copy of that email to your email ID in 'BCC'. Will that solve your 'Sent' items problem?
This discussion has been closed.