How do I change a security from Bond to Mutual Fund?

Stephen Jung
Stephen Jung Member ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I updated from Quicken for Mac 2007 to Quicken for Mac 2017. Some of my mutual funds were categorized as bonds. How do I change the category to Mutual Fund? The Mutual Fund category is greyed out.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Stephen,

The ability to change a bond to a mutual fund was recently implemented in QM18 v.5.4.x. When or if this change may make it backwards into QM17, I do not know.

The only workaround I can suggest (and this might be painful), is to go to the Investing account group transactions view, enter the name of the fund in the search box, and then manually edit each transactions, changing the bond to a new mutual fund security that you create.

One other thing you may want to try... go back to QM07 and fiddle with those funds that got changed to bonds. Change some parameters and maybe even the type (eg. fund to stock) and do another test conversion (into a fresh QM17 database) and see if you can find a tweak to those that will prevent them changing to bonds. Removing the symbol in QM07 before converting might be one thing to try.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Stephen,

The ability to change a bond to a mutual fund was recently implemented in QM18 v.5.4.x. When or if this change may make it backwards into QM17, I do not know.

The only workaround I can suggest (and this might be painful), is to go to the Investing account group transactions view, enter the name of the fund in the search box, and then manually edit each transactions, changing the bond to a new mutual fund security that you create.

One other thing you may want to try... go back to QM07 and fiddle with those funds that got changed to bonds. Change some parameters and maybe even the type (eg. fund to stock) and do another test conversion (into a fresh QM17 database) and see if you can find a tweak to those that will prevent them changing to bonds. Removing the symbol in QM07 before converting might be one thing to try.

One more thing.. if you just recently purchased QM17, you have 60 days to get a refund and then you could upgrade to QM18. 

(Just in case...please don't tell me about how you don't want a subscription product. QM17 already is a subscription, and I've heard and read all the arguments on this subject.)
  • Stephen Jung
    Stephen Jung Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Stephen,

I bought it back in May, so a refund is out of the cards. I tried changing the buy/sell transactions, but that wasn't enough. There are dividend transactions that would have to be changed too, and there's no guarantee that would work. I've had those funds for years, so there are a lot of transactions. Ugh. Thank you for your help. 
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Stephen,

You may have some luck explaining the situation to Quicken Support and possibly getting a reduced price on QM18. Perhaps worth a try.
  • Stephen Jung
    Stephen Jung Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Stephen,

The 40% off sale is still in effect, so I bought it.
This discussion has been closed.