Market Value Descrepancy

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
When viewing the Portfolio page of a brokerage account, the "Market Value" shown at the top of the page does not add up to the market values shown in the "Holdings By Type" list.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What Quicken year version and operaring system are you using?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Q2017 for Mac, version 4.4.3
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sierra 10.12.2
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Any hidden accounts?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I also have this issue.  Been like this across multiple updates.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How does the "Market Value" in QM2017 compare to your actual brokerage account value? Are all your holdings for the account listed and properly valued? In other words, if the Market Value does not add up to the market values shown in the "Holdings By Type" list, is one or the other correct, or are both wrong?

2 things to look for:
    1). Is there a "Cash Balance" at the bottom of the screen that is incorrect?
    2). Is there a mutual fund that is showing an incorrect value (for example, the one used as the cash account)?

Both of these are true for my Vanguard accounts, resulting in the Market Value being way off from the true account value and mostly useless for me. Has been like this across multiple updates for me as well.
  • lizingrid
    lizingrid Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Is there a way to change the incorrect market values.  Vanguard short term Bond index, market value is off by factor of 100 in imports into Mac Q17 and Q 18...can this be corrected? The asset allocation was misinterpreted when imported from Quicken 2007.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lizingrid said:

Is there a way to change the incorrect market values.  Vanguard short term Bond index, market value is off by factor of 100 in imports into Mac Q17 and Q 18...can this be corrected? The asset allocation was misinterpreted when imported from Quicken 2007.

For a given fund, if the market value is off, then either the share quantity is off or the price quote is off. Can you determine which it is? We can go from there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

How does the "Market Value" in QM2017 compare to your actual brokerage account value? Are all your holdings for the account listed and properly valued? In other words, if the Market Value does not add up to the market values shown in the "Holdings By Type" list, is one or the other correct, or are both wrong?

2 things to look for:
    2). Is there a mutual fund that is showing an incorrect value (for example, the one used as the cash account)?

Both of these are true for my Vanguard accounts, resulting in the Market Value being way off from the true account value and mostly useless for me. Has been like this across multiple updates for me as well.

My Cash Balance is way high on Quicken vs My Fidelity account. Has been for over a year. How do we fix it ?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

2 things to look for:

Depends on why it is high. If there is a large Cash Balance at the bottom of of the account's Portfolio view see below. Otherwise, have you checked for Placeholder transactions at the beginning of the Transactions view? Do your holdings, including price and number of shares, match with your Fidelity account?

I have had recurring problems with the Cash Balance at the bottom of the account view. I don't have Fidelity, but for Vanguard Cash Balance should be zero unless there are unsettled transactions, in which case it should return to zero when there are no unsettled transactions. For TDA it is the cash in the money market account. I've had an occasional problem where the Cash Balance becomes increasingly positive (or sometimes negative) for reasons I've not always been able to find. In this case, after looking for the source, I eventual give up and make an account adjustment to bring the Cash Balance back to zero.

If none of this works you can also try a search for this topic in the Mac part of the forum. It has been discussed a number of times.
  • lizingrid
    lizingrid Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lizingrid said:

The market value was off, but this was because the asset was miscoded in Q2007. Using Edit I created a new Assest = Index in Q2007, then reimported. Now the indices correctly import...except one a Stock price quote which is listed as today's current quote, when the market is not yet closed.

I did not wish to have downloaded market quotes and did not select this option. Can this be turned off. I also DO NOT WANT a cloud account...
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lizingrid said:

There are two places to disable quote download. The first is in Preferences:

This will stop automatic quote download when you first launch Quicken. Quotes will still download, however, when you do an online account update (download transactions). If you don't download transactions, you can stop there.

Secondly, you can stop quote download for each individual security by clicking the Options button when editing the security and unchecking the download quotes option. Unfortunately, there is no global setting for this.
  • lizingrid
    lizingrid Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lizingrid said:

Thanks, Very useful...The latter option button was the culprit.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lizingrid said:

You can add your VOTE for An easier way to turn downloading on/off of individual securities.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.