Transaction groups limit (Quicken for Windows 2017)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
So, I use transaction groups to track receivables for my small business. And it seems like I am hitting a limit on the number of transaction groups I can have, which is pretty small (only 12). Is there any way around that limit? Does Quicken 2018 have that limit?

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Diogo.. Appreciate your question.

While investigating your question, I checked online for certain limits for transactions, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary:

Transactions, reports, and graphs - As many as allowed by the size of your hard drive;

More information on limitations are available in this article: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

Let us know if you have any further questions or need further assistance.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Hi Diogo.. Appreciate your question.

While investigating your question, I checked online for certain limits for transactions, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary:

Transactions, reports, and graphs - As many as allowed by the size of your hard drive;

More information on limitations are available in this article: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

Let us know if you have any further questions or need further assistance.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

@Harold: If I am understanding the OP correctly, the question is specifically about a feature call Scheduled Transaction Groups, which is not addressed in the article you linked. I am not personally familiar with the Scheduled Transaction Group feature. One would have to research that specific feature to address the OP's question. It would appear that the OP is not asking a question about limits on generic transactions.

Here is some light discussion of the Scheduled Transaction Group: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/83412/q2017-how-do-i-set-a-scheduled-transaction-group-to-...

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi Diogo.

Sorry that I did not understand your question completely the first time through.. One of our Champions, Artic Hare, has provided a link that should help you with this issue:

Here is some light discussion of the Scheduled Transaction Group: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/83412/q2017-how-do-i-set-a-scheduled-transaction-group-to-...

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Hi Diogo.

Sorry that I did not understand your question completely the first time through.. One of our Champions, Artic Hare, has provided a link that should help you with this issue:

Here is some light discussion of the Scheduled Transaction Group: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/83412/q2017-how-do-i-set-a-scheduled-transaction-group-to-...

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

~ Quicken Harold.

Harold,

The link does not answer the question (It does not even answer the question posed there!)
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

The only transaction groups that I'm familiar with in Quicken are for investment transactions only.

Please tell us more about how you do what you do in Quicken.
    What feature level of Quicken do you use?
    What are you doing when you get to this limitation? How does it manifest itself?

Can you please
    capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy
    but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or BMP only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Arctic Hare
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

The only transaction groups that I'm familiar with in Quicken are for investment transactions only.

What are you doing when you get to this limitation? How does it manifest itself?

Can you please

capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

I believe the question pertains to the Scheduled Transaction Group feature; however, I am not familiar with the feature - I don’t know if it even exists in the Canadian flavour of Q, which I use. I only know of the feature from references found by Googling it.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

I don't have Q2018.

There is a limit of 12 Scheduled Transaction Groups in Q2017.

The message in Q2017 reads: "You have the maximum number of groups (12) setup."

I know of no way around the 12 Scheduled Transaction Group limit.

[A Scheduled Transaction Group can be used for either investment or non-investment accounts.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I don't have Q2018.

There is a limit of 12 Scheduled Transaction Groups in Q2017.

The message in Q2017 reads: "You have the maximum number of groups (12) setup."

I know of no way around the 12 Scheduled Transaction Group limit.

[A Scheduled Transaction Group can be used for either investment or non-investment accounts.]

The same limit applies in QW2018 - 12 transaction groups.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Can you please

image.

Again, I track receivables separated between principal and interest amounts. For that I use transaction groups to schedule these transactions so I know when I will receive them. With the limit of 12 groups, I am unable to add more than 12 clients, which for me is critical.

As mentioned, the message reads  "You have the maximum number of groups (12) setup." when I try adding a 13th group
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you receive payments from each client on a schedule and the payments include amounts that you want to track separately (you mention principal and interest), could you set up separate Categories in Quicken for the things you are tracking separately and then split each transaction among the categories, i.e. multiple categories per transaction? Then you would only have one transaction per month per client, and no need for groups.

It sounds like that would be the normal way to do what you are describing.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Arctic Hare
    edited January 2018

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you receive payments from each client on a schedule and the payments include amounts that you want to track separately (you mention principal and interest), could you set up separate Categories in Quicken for the things you are tracking separately and then split each transaction among the categories, i.e. multiple categories per transaction? Then you would only have one transaction per month per client, and no need for groups.

Using Tags is another way to associate sets of transactions with a person or group.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hi Jim, thanks for your input. The thing is for me to be able to track these clients' remaining balances, and also for reporting purposes, it would be interesting to keep these in an investment account. (eg. client a has a 100 outstanding, paid 10 + 2 in fees, i want to be able to see he owes 90 and that 2 were paid in fees. hope this is clear)
    if you have an idea on how to do this outside investments that would be great
This discussion has been closed.