Investments will not Update

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I always had problems updating investment quotes in my Quicken Home & Business. In the last six months I updated my version to 2018 Quicken Canada, version R2. I still have the same problem, in various conversations with Quicken Support I have tried the following:
1. Uninstalling and installing Quicken, at least three times.
2. Started a new Quicken account and followed the procedure to input all securities.
3. Started at investing.quicken.com a portfolio containing all the securities, there are no problems with any symbols on that portfolio.
4. With Support watching did File Operations; Validate and Repair at least three times.
5. Done numerous one-step updates.
6. Reviewed the symbols with Support.
7. One of the chat personal suggested a clean uninstall, that may not have been done properly as the file links did not seem to work'

None of this has solved my problem. The most recent attempt yesterday involving (2.) resulted in my portfolio containing 17 securities although I entered 29. Only 11 securities gave a quote and every time I tried an update the message was "15 of 21 securities updated" .
As you can imagine I am frustrated and do not understand why a Quicken Portfolio can update on an hourly or less basis yet Quicken Home & Business will not.
I look forward to a solution.

Comments

• ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have not had this problem, but I had another problem even opening my file the other day with Quicken Home and Business Canada Version 2018 R2.  Support asked me to run the Mondo patch file which can be found on their support page.  The file name is QWCA27.1.2.5MPatch.exe.  I was told there may have been issues when upgrading from R1 to R2.  Please contact support to verify.  I have not had any issues since.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    my portfolio containing 17 securities although I entered 29.
    Portfolio views (Ctrl-U) are individually customized.  I believe there are about 18 different views available to the user as 'savable' views.  The customization options include what securities to include in the view.  The view setting can also be grouped by account, by security, by type, etc.  If you truly own 29 securities in the account and the Portfolio view is only showing 17, check the customization settings and choose Select All under Securities.
    Only 11 securities gave a quote and every time I tried an update the message was "15 of 21 securities updated" .
    I am not sure what to make of 11 versus 15, but the 15 of 21 indicates a) you likely have 21 securities checked to be downloaded and either owned or on your Watch List (Ctrl-Y), and only 15 of those 21 have truly valid ticker symbols. 
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Gordon: Which securities are giving you issues? I could test a sample set of them on my Q2018 Canadian H&B R2. I haven't experienced any issues with updating securities.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Most of the problems are with Mutual Funds, but the following stocks on the Toronto Ventures do not update, Noront(NOT), Photon Controls(PHO), Zecotek(ZMS) Leonovus(LTV), but they all update on my portfolio on investing.quicken.
    Gordon
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I added each of the stocks on your comment to my securities list using Quicken Canada H&B 2018 R2 and they all updated with no issues.  Hopefully they work now for you too?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Colin, I do hope Quicken developers are following this, I just updated quotes in Quicken Canada H&B 2018 R2 and the same securities will not update. HELP!!
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    As a note, when I selected "Add Security" from the Securities List, I typed the company name and the stock appeared in the list.  I selected the stock but it showed Toronto as the exchange.  I left it as is and then tried to update it.  Nothing happened, no prices.  I changed the exchange to TSX Venture and updated it again.  Nothing.  So I deleted the security and then searched for it by name again.  This time I changed the exchange from Toronto to TSX Venture before I saved it and then it updated OK.  So I recommend deleting the security and re-adding it, ensuring that you select the correct exchange BEFORE you save it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    OMG, it works when I delete security and all the transaction associated with it. I haven't done the mutual funds yet but again will make sure the exchange is correct, there is a mutual fund choice as the exchange. Doing all this plays havoc in the cash reserves in the account but I can still sort that out. It does however pose the question why you cannot just change the details on the security, but if something works don't question the why.
    Colin, can't thank you enough, thanks and cheers.
    Gordon
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Glad to be of assistance.  There are a couple of bugs in Quicken for this issue.  When adding the stock by searching on the company name, the search results clearly show the exchange it belongs to.  But then it links it to the wrong exchange.  And the second bug is when you amend the exchange and it doesn't make the change in the online connection to the exchange for the download.  Like you said earlier, I hope the developers are reading this so they can fix the bugs.  There should be a hashtag: #QuickenSupport
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    That works fine for stocks, but I can't figure our how to update mutual funds. Any ideas??
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Let me try some of your funds on my system.  I'll see if I can get them to work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Colin, you are the only person who seems to respond, I am on the phone with support. The mutual fund is Mutual:BNS373 or MUTUAL:EDG308. T tried them on Toronto as exchange and Mutual Funds as exchange.
    Cheers
    Gordon
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Go to Securities List.  Click Add Security.  On the dialog box click Add Manually link at the bottom.  Put the code in, e.g., BNS373.  Select Mutual Fund for the Type and Mutual Funds for the Exchange.  Then Update -> Download Quotes.  Works for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Works for me to, again many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.