Register Sort Options

Clayton200
Clayton200 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken 2018 Premier, Version R4.7, Build 27.1.4.7
Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125)

Doubt if anyone can answer this, but one never knows. I opened Quicken this morning and my account totals reflect the addition of my pension deposit on Monday. It's set up to automatically enter my checking account 3 days in advance. I ran OSU and everything was fine.

I opened my checking account register and the totals reflected the pension deposit, but the transaction was nowhere to be found! It did show in a report of Not Cleared Items, but not in the register. After Validate & Repair, Super Validate, & going through a few more hoops, I found my register sort option had been changed from "by Date" to "by Downloaded posting date". My registers have ALWAYS been sorted by date.

My questions: How does something like this change over night by itself? Anyone else experience anything like this?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

"How does something like this change over night by itself?"

I don't believe it changed "over night": I believe it changed while Quicken was open.

The simplest explanation is that, at some point, you accidentally clicked on the Downloaded Posting Date heading: either on your own, or as a result of the click-thru bug.

[When you run a report to locate a transaction and the report displays the transaction you're looking for, you can just double-click on the transaction in the report and Quicken will take you to that transaction in its register/Transaction List.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    i have on another event that I am working thru with no success from quicken to solve the problem even though they tried and were very nice,. So yes, apparently the quicken software may have become unstable to an extent which is my guess. if it continues with my issue I will regrettably have to leave quicken after 20 plus years.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This may be the click through bug.  If you tried to backup you file at any point this may have caused the resorting because the column in question was underneath the backup option and when you clicked to backup you also clicked the column header underneath causing the restoring.  I still get hit by this now and again but for backups I put a backup icon on the Quicken toolbar so that the instances of this being a factor have been greatly reduced.
  • Clayton200
    Clayton200 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm going to hijack my own thread. Does anyone have problems using the Sort by Date and Order Entered?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I'm going to hijack my own thread. Does anyone have problems using the Sort by Date and Order Entered?

That’s my favorite sort order and it works fine. I like that newly-entered transactions stay at the bottom of thregister.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Clayton200
    Clayton200 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Hey thanks for the comment. It could easily be my favorite too. Old as I am, I still remember my classes, and the old bankers always posted Debits before Credits of the days receipts. Not sure about such standards in our digital age.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I have no problems with it.  It's what I always use, normally.
This discussion has been closed.